Inherent Bonus

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2005
      I was looking in the SRD and couldn't find the section that describes
      the ability bonus every 4 levels, anyone know which file it's in? Anyway
      I thought it was an inherent bonus, and don't all inherent bonus's stack
      with other inherent bonus's?

      I'm doing some playtesting for a company and I wanted to make sure that
      they were supposed to stack before I put my feedback in.

      Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
      PCGen BoD OGL Silverback & LST Lemur-in-training
      ICQ: 14397299
      AO: Nylan
      CoH:Nylan Neblett
      Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

      "I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks"
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2005
        > I was looking in the SRD and couldn't find the section that
        > describes the ability bonus every 4 levels, anyone know which file
        > it's in?

        I couldn't find it in the SRD. I may have missed it though.

        It may fall under the 'applying effects of experience', and even
        though the SRD is OGC, WotC didn't put it in.

        > Anyway I thought it was an inherent bonus, and don't all inherent
        > bonus's stack with other inherent bonus's?

        From srdmagicitems.rtf

        "Inherent: An inherent bonus is a bonus to an ability score that
        results from powerful magic. A character is limited to a total
        inherent bonus of +5 to any ability score."

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
      • Andriy Sen
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2005
          >> I was looking in the SRD and couldn't find the section that
          >> describes the ability bonus every 4 levels, anyone know which file
          >> it's in?
          AFAIR it's unnamed bonus. Inherent bonus comes from Wish, Manuals
          and similar.

          Andriy
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2005
            On 2/24/05 8:12 AM, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

            > I was looking in the SRD and couldn't find the section that describes
            > the ability bonus every 4 levels, anyone know which file it's in?

            I don't think it is a bonus, it's an actual increase to the stat.
            I don't see the text in the RSRD but he is the site from the PHB:

            Changing Ability Scores

            Over time, the ability scores your character starts with can change. Ability
            scores can increase with no limit. Points at which ability changes occur
            include the following:

            € Add 1 point to any score upon attaining 4th level and at every fourth
            level your character attains thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level).
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24, 2005
              And Inherent bonuses don't stack... You can't read a book of (strenght
              increase +1) 5 time to get it to +5... you have to get that +5 book...

              Martin!

              On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:04:57 -0000, Paul W. King
              <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

              > > I was looking in the SRD and couldn't find the section that
              > > describes the ability bonus every 4 levels, anyone know which file
              > > it's in?
              >
              > I couldn't find it in the SRD. I may have missed it though.
              >
              > It may fall under the 'applying effects of experience', and even
              > though the SRD is OGC, WotC didn't put it in.
              >
              > > Anyway I thought it was an inherent bonus, and don't all inherent
              > > bonus's stack with other inherent bonus's?
              >
              > From srdmagicitems.rtf
              >
              > "Inherent: An inherent bonus is a bonus to an ability score that
              > results from powerful magic. A character is limited to a total
              > inherent bonus of +5 to any ability score."
              >
              > Paul W. King
              > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

              > PCGen's FAQ:
              > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Brass Tilde
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 24, 2005
                > I was looking in the SRD and couldn't find the section that describes
                > the ability bonus every 4 levels, anyone know which file it's in? Anyway
                > I thought it was an inherent bonus, and don't all inherent bonus's stack
                > with other inherent bonus's?

                I've never seen it referred to as a bonus. I've always just seen something
                on the order of "ability score increase". And I've never seen anything to
                suggest that such an increase *wouldn't* stack with that gained from say, 5
                wish spells. A PC with a 10 wisdom at level 1, now at 16th, who used all
                their increases for that stat and found the appropriate +5 tome, would have
                a wisdom of 19. 5 for the tome, and 4 for the level based increases.
              • lonbarnett1957
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 24, 2005
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
                  > I was looking in the SRD and couldn't find the section that
                  describes
                  > the ability bonus every 4 levels, anyone know which file it's in?
                  Anyway
                  > I thought it was an inherent bonus, and don't all inherent bonus's
                  stack
                  > with other inherent bonus's?
                  >
                  > I'm doing some playtesting for a company and I wanted to make sure
                  that
                  > they were supposed to stack before I put my feedback in.
                  >
                  > Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
                  > PCGen BoD OGL Silverback & LST Lemur-in-training
                  > ICQ: 14397299
                  > AO: Nylan
                  > CoH:Nylan Neblett
                  > Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
                  >
                  > "I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks"

                  I believe what you are refering to is the 'Stat bump' that occurs at
                  level 4 and every 4 levels afterwards. This (after some detective
                  work) is determined in the miscinfo.lst file in the gameModes
                  directory.

                  The tag is BONUSSTATLEVELSTARTINTERVAL and currently looks like
                  BONUSSTATLEVELSTARTINTERVAL:4|4