Re: [pcgen] [BUG] [Trackered] Sole natural weapon damage

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
      Some experimenting has lead me to add this to the stats and checks file:

      BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Natural|DAMAGE|(STR/
      2)*(var("COUNT[EQTYPE.Natural]")<2)

      When added this does the trick. It is dependant on the attack being
      equipped, if one TYPE.Natural item is equipped the bonus is granted.

      This may however cause problems with certain natural attacks which should
      not get this bonus like Unarmed strike and Flurry of Blows.

      I've trackered this at P5, it will need lots of testing before (or if) this
      is implemented.

      [ 1115166 ] [SRD][RSRD] Sole natural weapon damage
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback

      > I was looking at the Tyrannosaurus for the Improved Natural Attack and I
      > notices the damage didn't match the text, PCGen said 3d6+9 but the text
      > reads 3d6+13. 9 is the strength mod, I wasn't sure where the extra 4 points
      > came from until I found this in the RSRD:
      >
      > A creature┬╣s primary attack damage includes its full Strength modifier
      > (1-1/2 times its Strength bonus if the attack is with the creature┬╣s sole
      > natural weapon)
      >
      > So if a creature only has one natural attack the damage adds strength and a
      > half. I don't think this is implemented in PCGen, at least it wasn't in the
      > few I looked at.
      >
      > This can be done by adding a bonus to those monsters to which it applies
      > such as: BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bite|DAMAGE|(STR/2) but I was hoping something
      > more universal could be implemented in the gameMode to handle this instead
      > because this applies to both the SRD and RSRD (and probably Modern as well).
      >
      > I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I write up a tracker.
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005

        Well, since you seem to be asking for opinions, I'll toss mine in (along
        with a little clarification).

        We had this clarified for us (CMP) by WotC directly... It only gets applied
        when they have a *single* natural attack. (Not a single type of attack, but
        a single attack).

        In other words... Two claws is NOT a single natural attack. Nor do they get
        the bonus for only using one of their many attacks (it'd be like trying to
        use your own fist two-handed, not gonna work :p).

        To be 100% on with the rules, you need to add
        BONUS:WEAPONPROF=yyyy|DAMAGE|STR/2 to each of the races that meet this
        criteria, not apply a blanket that can lead to incorrect numbers...

        Barak
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
          Barak scribed:

          > Well, since you seem to be asking for opinions, I'll toss mine in (along
          > with a little clarification).
          >
          > We had this clarified for us (CMP) by WotC directly... It only gets applied
          > when they have a *single* natural attack. (Not a single type of attack, but
          > a single attack).
          >
          > In other words... Two claws is NOT a single natural attack. Nor do they get
          > the bonus for only using one of their many attacks (it'd be like trying to
          > use your own fist two-handed, not gonna work :p).
          >
          > To be 100% on with the rules, you need to add
          > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=yyyy|DAMAGE|STR/2 to each of the races that meet this
          > criteria, not apply a blanket that can lead to incorrect numbers...
          >
          > Barak

          Yeah I was asking for just that, I came to the same conclusion about 5
          minutes ago while I was looking at the Hydra which has a single attack type
          (Bite) but it gets 12 of them. There's likely other issue as well but that
          pretty much puts the nails in the coffin for doing it in the gameMode.

          Looks like adding the bonus to the individual creatures which qualify is
          going to be the way to go. Thanks Barak.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback