Question regarding Feats (From 3.5 MM)

  • Mark Ludwig
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
      I'm trying to use a feat called Improved Natural Attack. When I give
      this to a creature, this description looks good, but it doesn't
      change anything in the attack table. Matter of fact, when selecting
      this feat, shouldn't it ask which natural weapon it effects?

      Anyway, not sure if it's a bug, or if it's working as intended.

      Just out of curiousity, how whould I change the .lst file to increase
      a given weapons damage to the next size catagory??

      Thank you for the info
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
        Mark Ludwig scribed:

        > I'm trying to use a feat called Improved Natural Attack. When I give
        > this to a creature, this description looks good, but it doesn't
        > change anything in the attack table. Matter of fact, when selecting
        > this feat, shouldn't it ask which natural weapon it effects?
        >
        > Anyway, not sure if it's a bug, or if it's working as intended.

        Improved Natural Attack does not have any code to cause the feats effect.
        Possibly this is because the tag needed for it to work, DAMAGESIZE, was only
        recently documented.

        > Just out of curiousity, how whould I change the .lst file to increase
        > a given weapons damage to the next size catagory??

        It will work by adding these tags to the feat:

        MULT:YES
        CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS|TYPE.Natural
        BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|DAMAGESIZE|1

        It will then present a list of Natural attacks to choose from. Be aware that
        because of the PREITEM tag you may need to Equip the natural weapons to an
        Equipset before you will qualify for the Feat.

        > Thank you for the info

        I've added this as a Freq for 5.8 since it's simple and basically done.
        [ 1115114 ] [RSRD] Improved Natural Attack

        The only thing left to do is hunt down all the places this feat is granted
        in the race and template files and set them to a specific attack. Mostly
        this has already been done so those monsters which have this feat should now
        get the bonus to their natural attack damage. I just need to verify that
        their natural attack entries were not bumped up to compensate for the fact
        that this feat did not work at the time the entries were made.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
          Will this work as well on the psionic power Claws of the Beast? It
          does grant a natural attack. :)
          > Mark Ludwig scribed:
          >
          > > I'm trying to use a feat called Improved Natural Attack. When I give
          > > this to a creature, this description looks good, but it doesn't
          > > change anything in the attack table. Matter of fact, when selecting
          > > this feat, shouldn't it ask which natural weapon it effects?
          > >
          > > Anyway, not sure if it's a bug, or if it's working as intended.
          >
          > Improved Natural Attack does not have any code to cause the feats
          effect.
          > Possibly this is because the tag needed for it to work, DAMAGESIZE,
          was only
          > recently documented.
          >
          > > Just out of curiousity, how whould I change the .lst file to increase
          > > a given weapons damage to the next size catagory??
          >
          > It will work by adding these tags to the feat:
          >
          > MULT:YES
          > CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS|TYPE.Natural
          > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|DAMAGESIZE|1
          >
          > It will then present a list of Natural attacks to choose from. Be
          aware that
          > because of the PREITEM tag you may need to Equip the natural weapons
          to an
          > Equipset before you will qualify for the Feat.
          >
          > > Thank you for the info
          >
          > I've added this as a Freq for 5.8 since it's simple and basically done.
          > [ 1115114 ] [RSRD] Improved Natural Attack
          >
          > The only thing left to do is hunt down all the places this feat is
          granted
          > in the race and template files and set them to a specific attack. Mostly
          > this has already been done so those monsters which have this feat
          should now
          > get the bonus to their natural attack damage. I just need to verify that
          > their natural attack entries were not bumped up to compensate for
          the fact
          > that this feat did not work at the time the entries were made.
          > --
          > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
            James Blakeney scribed:

            > Will this work as well on the psionic power Claws of the Beast? It
            > does grant a natural attack. :)

            The Power does grant a natural attack but the LST entry itself does not
            attach a NATURALATTACK tag to the PC so no as is this would not work. You
            could however make a template with this attack in it, once applied you could
            then choose the feat and this attack would be one of the choices.

            This will be slightly more work than I first though, currently the monsters
            with this feat have an entry for damage which matches what is listed in the
            text. Of coarse the text takes this feat into account so the damage will
            need to be bumped down so that it will still match the text when this feat
            is enabled. There's only 20 or so instances of this so it's not a huge deal
            of work.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback