Re[2]: [pcgen] Sword, Bastard. Problems?

  • Patryk Adamski
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1 3:27 PM
      Hello Eddy,

      EA> On 2/1/05 3:44 PM, "Patryk Adamski" <ruemere@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hello Eddy,
      >>
      >> Thanks for taking your time to look into this.

      EA> Glad to be of service.

      >> Simplified Replication of the bug:
      >>
      >> Create Human, Strength 18, Cleric 3.
      >> Add feat Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
      >> Add feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
      >> Go to Inventory, try to buy Bastard Sword: item is red, the
      >> PROFICIENT field is set to N.

      Problem solved. As per your suggestions I have looked into the
      problem by checking tag syntax consistency.
      It appears that the problem resulted from changing Bastard Sword
      weapon proficiency tag names (Weapon Familiarity was not granted)
      between various versions of RSRD.

      Also, due to aforementioned Weapon Proficiency name disprepancy,
      both feats (i.e. Weapon Focus and Divine Focus) failed. Currently,
      Mathanay Corinth, 7th level cleric of strong convictions is ready to
      do some ass-kicking.

      Things to look into:

      - since I prefer to use None for a deity (solves the problem of
      entering closed content pantheons), War domain is crippled
      (appropriate Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus are not
      granted). I solve this manually (by allocating two additional feats
      to clerics, one for MWP, one for WF).
      It may be a good idea to allow for manual choice of such details,
      especially since a few gods boast mroe than one favorite weapon (for
      example: all spears, all swords and so on).

      - Bastard Sword uses two different proficiences:
      Sword (Bastard/Exotic)
      Sword (Bastard/Martial)

      This results in Weapon Focus being granted to one wield type, but
      not both. Some weirdness results ("I can do it better with one hand
      than you with both"). Maybe it would be a good idea to allow for
      partial Weapon Focus matching, like Weapon Focus (Sword(Bastard/*))
      or something.

      Many thanks for steering me the right course to Eddy and David.
      Guys, without you I would not see the forest because of trees.

      Of course, since the Scarred Lands are officially dead now, there may be
      some merit in attempting to contact Sword and Sorcery Studios to
      produce more datasets.
      If so, I'm ready to help.

      --
      Patryk Adamski (Ruemere)
      pcGen Lst Gorilla
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2 4:50 AM
        > BT> You're not by any chance using 3.0 files in 3.5 mode are you? If so,
        check
        > BT> the size of the weapon and the setting that tells PCGen which size
        mode to
        > BT> use.

        > 3.5 all the way (including *checked* 3.5 weapon categories in House
        Rules
        > section of settings).

        And you checked to make sure the size of the weapon itself is set to "M" and
        not "L", right?

        The next thing I'd check is that the proficiency listed on the weapon is the
        same as the proficiency on the feat. I ran into this with some CMP data
        sets at one point where the feat proficiency was "Mercurial Greatsword", but
        the item proficiency was "Greatsword (Mercurial)" (or the other way 'round,
        I don't remember now). Either way, making them both the same fixed the
        problem.
      • david allan finch
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2 5:15 AM
          Brass Tilde wrote:
          > And you checked to make sure the size of the weapon itself is set to "M" and
          > not "L", right?

          I was trying to create a medium sizes character with a Greatsword last
          week and it seams that the Greatsword has a size of "L", if you create a
          new one with size "M" using the equipment properties dialog then you get
          1d10 out for a Medium size creature. Is this correct, I thought that the
          book had all the weapons as "M" and the "M" damage was 2d6.

          Regards
          Dave

        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2 7:40 AM
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, david allan finch <david.allan@f...> wrote:
            > Brass Tilde wrote:
            > > And you checked to make sure the size of the weapon itself is set
            to "M" and
            > > not "L", right?
            >
            > I was trying to create a medium sizes character with a Greatsword last
            > week and it seams that the Greatsword has a size of "L", if you
            create a
            > new one with size "M" using the equipment properties dialog then you
            get
            > 1d10 out for a Medium size creature. Is this correct, I thought that
            the
            > book had all the weapons as "M" and the "M" damage was 2d6.

            The SRD files have 3.0 style weapon sizes including SIZE:L on the
            Greatsword.

            The RSRD files have 3.5 style weapon wield info. There is a SIZE:M tag
            on the Greatsword to default it for Medium creatures.

            (visualy verified 5.7.14)

            What version of pcgen did you say you were using?
          • david allan finch
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2 7:45 AM
              taluroniscandar wrote:
              > The SRD files have 3.0 style weapon sizes including SIZE:L on the
              > Greatsword.
              > The RSRD files have 3.5 style weapon wield info. There is a SIZE:M tag
              > on the Greatsword to default it for Medium creatures.
              > (visualy verified 5.7.14)
              > What version of pcgen did you say you were using?

              Sorry 5.7.13, I was waiting for RC1 before upgrading again. I will check
              again after that.

              Thanks for your help
              Dave

            • TheForken
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2 2:19 PM
                Dear Monkeys

                I've just built the last sources available on cvs and I've found that the
                "-" button near each stat row doesn't work any more. I can increase the stat
                via the "+" button but I cannot lower it unless editing the score in the
                "Score [Editable]" field. Could you please check if I've something strange
                on my build or it's really broken?

                Regards

                TheForken