Re: [pcgen] Sword, Bastard. Problems?

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
      On 2/1/05 3:44 PM, "Patryk Adamski" <ruemere@...> wrote:

      > Hello Eddy,
      >
      > Thanks for taking your time to look into this.

      Glad to be of service.

      > Simplified Replication of the bug:
      >
      > Create Human, Strength 18, Cleric 3.
      > Add feat Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
      > Add feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
      > Go to Inventory, try to buy Bastard Sword: item is red, the
      > PROFICIENT field is set to N.

      I'm unable to replicate this on my end, everything is working as it should.
      I've even set the R&R set to show in 35e so I can load it (though its
      otherwise unMODed) and everything still works.

      >> EA> This works as
      >> EA> expected up until you choose Weapon focus, at that point you have two
      >> profs
      >> EA> to choose from and neither one will grant you the bonus to both, Martial
      >> EA> grants a +1 to 2-handed to hit and Exotic grant a +1 to 1-handed to hit.
      >>
      >> EA> There's a good chance it meant to work this way, I don't have the books
      >> with
      >> EA> me but I can see a case for having to focus on either the one handed or
      >> two
      >> EA> handed forms.
      >
      > Yes, I agree that the feats and the way they work may be at fault
      > here.

      We'll need clarification on how this should function, someone on this ist
      may already know.

      > EA> I could not test Divine Focus or Weapon Familiarity, its not in my list.
      > EA> Which source and what datasets are you using?
      >
      > [on Weapon Familiarity]
      > Weapon Familiarity rules are a part of 3.5 edition of D20 SRD.
      > basically, some races are allowed to treat exotic weapons as martial
      > rather than exotic, for example, in Dwarf race description you have:
      > "Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven
      > waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather
      > than exotic weapons."

      Ah that, you fooled me, I was looking for a feat. As far as I can tell
      that's working for the most part. I made a Dwarf Fighter and all the right
      profs were on the list, things got a little wacky when I made a Dwarf Cleric
      though. Since they do not get all Martial weapons I choose the Martial
      Weapon feat and there were three profs in the list for Waraxe (Dwarven), one
      exotic and two martial. Choosing one of the martial profs grants the
      proficiency but in that case does not treat the weapon as Exotic as well,
      choosing exotic doesn't grant the prof at all.

      > [on Divine Focus]
      > Please, disregard this part.

      Don't worry about it, lets just call it goddly concentration and you can
      tell us what tags are used :)

      Unfortunatly we didn't get that far. At this point I'd suggest setting up a
      fresh install with no MODed files and see if you can replicate it in that
      environment.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
        Hello Eddy,

        EA> On 2/1/05 3:44 PM, "Patryk Adamski" <ruemere@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hello Eddy,
        >>
        >> Thanks for taking your time to look into this.

        EA> Glad to be of service.

        >> Simplified Replication of the bug:
        >>
        >> Create Human, Strength 18, Cleric 3.
        >> Add feat Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
        >> Add feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
        >> Go to Inventory, try to buy Bastard Sword: item is red, the
        >> PROFICIENT field is set to N.

        Problem solved. As per your suggestions I have looked into the
        problem by checking tag syntax consistency.
        It appears that the problem resulted from changing Bastard Sword
        weapon proficiency tag names (Weapon Familiarity was not granted)
        between various versions of RSRD.

        Also, due to aforementioned Weapon Proficiency name disprepancy,
        both feats (i.e. Weapon Focus and Divine Focus) failed. Currently,
        Mathanay Corinth, 7th level cleric of strong convictions is ready to
        do some ass-kicking.

        Things to look into:

        - since I prefer to use None for a deity (solves the problem of
        entering closed content pantheons), War domain is crippled
        (appropriate Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus are not
        granted). I solve this manually (by allocating two additional feats
        to clerics, one for MWP, one for WF).
        It may be a good idea to allow for manual choice of such details,
        especially since a few gods boast mroe than one favorite weapon (for
        example: all spears, all swords and so on).

        - Bastard Sword uses two different proficiences:
        Sword (Bastard/Exotic)
        Sword (Bastard/Martial)

        This results in Weapon Focus being granted to one wield type, but
        not both. Some weirdness results ("I can do it better with one hand
        than you with both"). Maybe it would be a good idea to allow for
        partial Weapon Focus matching, like Weapon Focus (Sword(Bastard/*))
        or something.

        Many thanks for steering me the right course to Eddy and David.
        Guys, without you I would not see the forest because of trees.

        Of course, since the Scarred Lands are officially dead now, there may be
        some merit in attempting to contact Sword and Sorcery Studios to
        produce more datasets.
        If so, I'm ready to help.

        --
        Patryk Adamski (Ruemere)
        pcGen Lst Gorilla
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
          > BT> You're not by any chance using 3.0 files in 3.5 mode are you? If so,
          check
          > BT> the size of the weapon and the setting that tells PCGen which size
          mode to
          > BT> use.

          > 3.5 all the way (including *checked* 3.5 weapon categories in House
          Rules
          > section of settings).

          And you checked to make sure the size of the weapon itself is set to "M" and
          not "L", right?

          The next thing I'd check is that the proficiency listed on the weapon is the
          same as the proficiency on the feat. I ran into this with some CMP data
          sets at one point where the feat proficiency was "Mercurial Greatsword", but
          the item proficiency was "Greatsword (Mercurial)" (or the other way 'round,
          I don't remember now). Either way, making them both the same fixed the
          problem.
        • david allan finch
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
            Brass Tilde wrote:
            > And you checked to make sure the size of the weapon itself is set to "M" and
            > not "L", right?

            I was trying to create a medium sizes character with a Greatsword last
            week and it seams that the Greatsword has a size of "L", if you create a
            new one with size "M" using the equipment properties dialog then you get
            1d10 out for a Medium size creature. Is this correct, I thought that the
            book had all the weapons as "M" and the "M" damage was 2d6.

            Regards
            Dave

          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, david allan finch <david.allan@f...> wrote:
              > Brass Tilde wrote:
              > > And you checked to make sure the size of the weapon itself is set
              to "M" and
              > > not "L", right?
              >
              > I was trying to create a medium sizes character with a Greatsword last
              > week and it seams that the Greatsword has a size of "L", if you
              create a
              > new one with size "M" using the equipment properties dialog then you
              get
              > 1d10 out for a Medium size creature. Is this correct, I thought that
              the
              > book had all the weapons as "M" and the "M" damage was 2d6.

              The SRD files have 3.0 style weapon sizes including SIZE:L on the
              Greatsword.

              The RSRD files have 3.5 style weapon wield info. There is a SIZE:M tag
              on the Greatsword to default it for Medium creatures.

              (visualy verified 5.7.14)

              What version of pcgen did you say you were using?
            • david allan finch
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                taluroniscandar wrote:
                > The SRD files have 3.0 style weapon sizes including SIZE:L on the
                > Greatsword.
                > The RSRD files have 3.5 style weapon wield info. There is a SIZE:M tag
                > on the Greatsword to default it for Medium creatures.
                > (visualy verified 5.7.14)
                > What version of pcgen did you say you were using?

                Sorry 5.7.13, I was waiting for RC1 before upgrading again. I will check
                again after that.

                Thanks for your help
                Dave

              • TheForken
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                  Dear Monkeys

                  I've just built the last sources available on cvs and I've found that the
                  "-" button near each stat row doesn't work any more. I can increase the stat
                  via the "+" button but I cannot lower it unless editing the score in the
                  "Score [Editable]" field. Could you please check if I've something strange
                  on my build or it's really broken?

                  Regards

                  TheForken