No freeze tonight.

  • Éric Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2005
      I just talk to Devon and we decided that we will wait one more day before any freeze for the first RC release.

      Best

      Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
      Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
      >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
      <mailto:beaudoer@...>
    • Patryk Adamski (Ruemere)
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
        5.7.14, Windows XP Pro, Java 5

        The short version:
        Attack bonus for a custom made bastard sword, wielded
        singlehandedly, is wrong.

        To replicate:
        Create a human cleric with STR 18, progress to 3rd level.
        Assign War domain with Deity weapon set to Bastard Sword
        (alternatively: assign Martial Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword).
        Assign feat with Weapon Familiarity: Bastard Sword (alternatively
        assign Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword).
        Create custom Bastard Sword (masterwork, +1 enhancement).
        Equip the sword in one hand.

        The result:
        Character is deemed nonproficient (i.e. -4) in Bastard Sword.
        Also, attack bonus calculus is wrong - the weapon is not assigned
        feat bonuses (i.e. no benefit from Weapon Focus for example).

        Specifics of my case:
        My campaign allows for background feats which modify base stats
        (basically +2 to one stat, with a cost of -2 to another) and grant
        Weapon Familiarity (Bastard Sword in this case).
        So, a 7th level cleric with War Domain (Bastard Sword) and appropriate
        background feat should be able to wield the weapon in one hand
        (remember the 18 STR) with no penalty.

        Specific breakdown of attack bonus:
        +5 - BAB (7th level)
        +4 - Strength of 18
        +1 - feat Weapon Focus
        +1 - feat Divine Focus (+1 to hit with Deity's favoured weapons)
        +1 - enhancement bonus from weapon

        Expected total: +12

        PcGen erroneous total: +6

        Regards,
        Ruemere
        --
        Patryk Adamski (Ruemere)
        PcGen Lst Gorilla
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
          > 5.7.14, Windows XP Pro, Java 5

          Have you been successful in using Java 1.5? A number of posters have had
          their problems corrected by going back to 1.4.

          > The short version:
          > Attack bonus for a custom made bastard sword, wielded
          > singlehandedly, is wrong.
          >
          > To replicate:
          > Create a human cleric with STR 18, progress to 3rd level.
          > Assign War domain with Deity weapon set to Bastard Sword
          > (alternatively: assign Martial Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword).
          > Assign feat with Weapon Familiarity: Bastard Sword (alternatively
          > assign Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword).
          > Create custom Bastard Sword (masterwork, +1 enhancement).
          > Equip the sword in one hand.

          You're not by any chance using 3.0 files in 3.5 mode are you? If so, check
          the size of the weapon and the setting that tells PCGen which size mode to
          use. In 3.5 mode, the size of the weapon indicates the size of the intended
          wielder, not the size of the weapon itself. So if you have a medium sized
          human and a large sized b-sword, you'll get a non-proficiency penalty.

          If that's the case, you can either change the size of the b-sword in the LST
          files to "M", or change the setting in preferences to use the 3.0 size mods.
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
            I ran into several issues trying to replicate the problem. The first one is
            that when I went to the abilities window after selecting the War Domain the
            Optional Profs button was active and not greyed out but nothing happened
            when I clicked it. The second I noticed while experimenting, when I removed
            Weapon Prof feats the Profs were not removed from the list and remained
            active. I believe these may be related to this tracker:

            [ 1097574 ] Multiple WEAPONBONUS tag problems
            <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1097574&group_id=25576&ati
            d=384719>

            Some other issues may have more to do with the implementation of certain
            weapons like the Bastard Sword which have both a Martial and Exotic weapon
            prof. With no profs I get the correct -4 across the board, with the martial
            prof I lose the -4 on the two handed to hit box as expected, with the exotic
            prof I lose the -4 on the One handed to hit box as well. This works as
            expected up until you choose Weapon focus, at that point you have two profs
            to choose from and neither one will grant you the bonus to both, Martial
            grants a +1 to 2-handed to hit and Exotic grant a +1 to 1-handed to hit.

            There's a good chance it meant to work this way, I don't have the books with
            me but I can see a case for having to focus on either the one handed or two
            handed forms.

            The weapon enhancements work fine for me.

            I could not test Divine Focus or Weapon Familiarity, its not in my list.
            Which source and what datasets are you using?
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback

            On 2/1/05 8:56 AM, "Patryk Adamski (Ruemere)" <ruemere@...>
            wrote:

            > 5.7.14, Windows XP Pro, Java 5
            >
            > The short version:
            > Attack bonus for a custom made bastard sword, wielded
            > singlehandedly, is wrong.
            >
            > To replicate:
            > Create a human cleric with STR 18, progress to 3rd level.
            > Assign War domain with Deity weapon set to Bastard Sword
            > (alternatively: assign Martial Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword).
            > Assign feat with Weapon Familiarity: Bastard Sword (alternatively
            > assign Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword).
            > Create custom Bastard Sword (masterwork, +1 enhancement).
            > Equip the sword in one hand.
            >
            > The result:
            > Character is deemed nonproficient (i.e. -4) in Bastard Sword.
            > Also, attack bonus calculus is wrong - the weapon is not assigned
            > feat bonuses (i.e. no benefit from Weapon Focus for example).
            >
            > Specifics of my case:
            > My campaign allows for background feats which modify base stats
            > (basically +2 to one stat, with a cost of -2 to another) and grant
            > Weapon Familiarity (Bastard Sword in this case).
            > So, a 7th level cleric with War Domain (Bastard Sword) and appropriate
            > background feat should be able to wield the weapon in one hand
            > (remember the 18 STR) with no penalty.
            >
            > Specific breakdown of attack bonus:
            > +5 - BAB (7th level)
            > +4 - Strength of 18
            > +1 - feat Weapon Focus
            > +1 - feat Divine Focus (+1 to hit with Deity's favoured weapons)
            > +1 - enhancement bonus from weapon
            >
            > Expected total: +12
            >
            > PcGen erroneous total: +6
            >

            > Regards,
            > Ruemere
            > --
            > Patryk Adamski (Ruemere)
            > PcGen Lst Gorilla
            > email: ruemere@...
            > www: www.ruemere.linart.pl
            > www.ruemere.linart.pl/scarredlands
          • Patryk Adamski
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
              Hello Brass,

              >> 5.7.14, Windows XP Pro, Java 5

              BT> Have you been successful in using Java 1.5? A number of posters have had
              BT> their problems corrected by going back to 1.4.

              >> The short version:
              >> Attack bonus for a custom made bastard sword, wielded
              >> singlehandedly, is wrong.
              >>
              >> To replicate:
              >> Create a human cleric with STR 18, progress to 3rd level.
              >> Assign War domain with Deity weapon set to Bastard Sword
              >> (alternatively: assign Martial Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword).
              >> Assign feat with Weapon Familiarity: Bastard Sword (alternatively
              >> assign Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword).
              >> Create custom Bastard Sword (masterwork, +1 enhancement).
              >> Equip the sword in one hand.

              BT> You're not by any chance using 3.0 files in 3.5 mode are you? If so, check
              BT> the size of the weapon and the setting that tells PCGen which size mode to
              BT> use. In 3.5 mode, the size of the weapon indicates the size of the intended
              BT> wielder, not the size of the weapon itself. So if you have a medium sized
              BT> human and a large sized b-sword, you'll get a non-proficiency penalty.

              BT> If that's the case, you can either change the size of the b-sword in the LST
              BT> files to "M", or change the setting in preferences to use the 3.0 size mods.

              3.5 all the way (including *checked* 3.5 weapon categories in House Rules
              section of settings).
              Java 1.5 does not seem to have caused any problems up. The
              adjustments work up to 5.7.14 just fine.
              Yes, I am using 3.0 files (modded Relics & Rituals), however all
              problems caused by this are resolved manually (i.e. by manual
              editing of R&R).

              Simplified Replication of the bug:

              Create Human, Strength 18, Cleric 3.
              Add feat Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
              Add feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
              Go to Inventory, try to buy Bastard Sword: item is red, the
              PROFICIENT field is set to N.

              --
              Patryk Adamski (Ruemere)
              pcGen Lst Gorilla
              email>> ruemere@...
              www>> www.ruemere.linart.pl
              www.ruemere.linart.pl/scarredlands/
            • David
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005

                What is the exact text of the proficiencies. On the feat tab, right side, mine are:

                Exotic Weapon Proficiency Sword(Bastard/Exotic)
                Martial Weapon Proriciency Sword(Bastard/Martial)

                I have a human cleric, stats immaterial, level 2 (to get bab +1) and I just added the two B.Sword proficienes and everything is ok
                on the Inventory tab. I can buy a "Bastard sword" and equip it either one handed or two handed.

                -- david
                Papa-DRB
              • Patryk Adamski
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Hello Eddy,

                  Thanks for taking your time to look into this.
                  First of all a brief recap of test environment:

                  3.5 all the way (including checked 3.5 weapon categories in House Rules
                  section of settings).
                  Java 1.5 does not seem to have caused any problems up. The
                  adjustments work up to 5.7.14 just fine.
                  Yes, I am using 3.0 files (modded Relics & Rituals), however all
                  problems caused by this are resolved manually (i.e. by manual
                  editing of R&R).

                  Simplified Replication of the bug:

                  Create Human, Strength 18, Cleric 3.
                  Add feat Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
                  Add feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
                  Go to Inventory, try to buy Bastard Sword: item is red, the
                  PROFICIENT field is set to N.

                  Now, specifics:

                  EA> I ran into several issues trying to replicate the problem. The first one is
                  EA> that when I went to the abilities window after selecting the War Domain the
                  EA> Optional Profs button was active and not greyed out but nothing happened
                  EA> when I clicked it. The second I noticed while experimenting, when I removed
                  EA> Weapon Prof feats the Profs were not removed from the list and remained
                  EA> active. I believe these may be related to this tracker:

                  EA> [ 1097574 ] Multiple WEAPONBONUS tag problems
                  EA> <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1097574&group_id=25576&ati
                  d=384719>>

                  EA> Some other issues may have more to do with the implementation of certain
                  EA> weapons like the Bastard Sword which have both a Martial and Exotic weapon
                  EA> prof. With no profs I get the correct -4 across the board, with the martial
                  EA> prof I lose the -4 on the two handed to hit box as expected, with the exotic
                  EA> prof I lose the -4 on the One handed to hit box as well. This works as
                  EA> expected up until you choose Weapon focus, at that point you have two profs
                  EA> to choose from and neither one will grant you the bonus to both, Martial
                  EA> grants a +1 to 2-handed to hit and Exotic grant a +1 to 1-handed to hit.

                  EA> There's a good chance it meant to work this way, I don't have the books with
                  EA> me but I can see a case for having to focus on either the one handed or two
                  EA> handed forms.

                  EA> The weapon enhancements work fine for me.

                  Yes, I agree that the feats and the way they work may be at fault
                  here.

                  EA> I could not test Divine Focus or Weapon Familiarity, its not in my list.
                  EA> Which source and what datasets are you using?

                  [on Weapon Familiarity]
                  Weapon Familiarity rules are a part of 3.5 edition of D20 SRD.
                  basically, some races are allowed to treat exotic weapons as martial
                  rather than exotic, for example, in Dwarf race description you have:
                  "Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven
                  waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather
                  than exotic weapons."

                  [on Divine Focus]
                  Please, disregard this part.
                  I have been coding some .lst files (Relics & Rituals)
                  for pcGen in the past up until the moment we have lost contact
                  with Sword & Sorcery Studios on later assignments.

                  The material I mention has never been officially permissioned and is
                  used for personal campaign only (i.e. these files has been created
                  by me, for me and my campaign).

                  The only reason I mentioned these, is that initally
                  either Divine Focus feat or SSS feats I coded somehow related to the
                  bug in question.

                  Regards,
                  Ruemere
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
                    On 2/1/05 3:44 PM, "Patryk Adamski" <ruemere@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Eddy,
                    >
                    > Thanks for taking your time to look into this.

                    Glad to be of service.

                    > Simplified Replication of the bug:
                    >
                    > Create Human, Strength 18, Cleric 3.
                    > Add feat Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
                    > Add feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
                    > Go to Inventory, try to buy Bastard Sword: item is red, the
                    > PROFICIENT field is set to N.

                    I'm unable to replicate this on my end, everything is working as it should.
                    I've even set the R&R set to show in 35e so I can load it (though its
                    otherwise unMODed) and everything still works.

                    >> EA> This works as
                    >> EA> expected up until you choose Weapon focus, at that point you have two
                    >> profs
                    >> EA> to choose from and neither one will grant you the bonus to both, Martial
                    >> EA> grants a +1 to 2-handed to hit and Exotic grant a +1 to 1-handed to hit.
                    >>
                    >> EA> There's a good chance it meant to work this way, I don't have the books
                    >> with
                    >> EA> me but I can see a case for having to focus on either the one handed or
                    >> two
                    >> EA> handed forms.
                    >
                    > Yes, I agree that the feats and the way they work may be at fault
                    > here.

                    We'll need clarification on how this should function, someone on this ist
                    may already know.

                    > EA> I could not test Divine Focus or Weapon Familiarity, its not in my list.
                    > EA> Which source and what datasets are you using?
                    >
                    > [on Weapon Familiarity]
                    > Weapon Familiarity rules are a part of 3.5 edition of D20 SRD.
                    > basically, some races are allowed to treat exotic weapons as martial
                    > rather than exotic, for example, in Dwarf race description you have:
                    > "Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven
                    > waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather
                    > than exotic weapons."

                    Ah that, you fooled me, I was looking for a feat. As far as I can tell
                    that's working for the most part. I made a Dwarf Fighter and all the right
                    profs were on the list, things got a little wacky when I made a Dwarf Cleric
                    though. Since they do not get all Martial weapons I choose the Martial
                    Weapon feat and there were three profs in the list for Waraxe (Dwarven), one
                    exotic and two martial. Choosing one of the martial profs grants the
                    proficiency but in that case does not treat the weapon as Exotic as well,
                    choosing exotic doesn't grant the prof at all.

                    > [on Divine Focus]
                    > Please, disregard this part.

                    Don't worry about it, lets just call it goddly concentration and you can
                    tell us what tags are used :)

                    Unfortunatly we didn't get that far. At this point I'd suggest setting up a
                    fresh install with no MODed files and see if you can replicate it in that
                    environment.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
                      Hello Eddy,

                      EA> On 2/1/05 3:44 PM, "Patryk Adamski" <ruemere@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Hello Eddy,
                      >>
                      >> Thanks for taking your time to look into this.

                      EA> Glad to be of service.

                      >> Simplified Replication of the bug:
                      >>
                      >> Create Human, Strength 18, Cleric 3.
                      >> Add feat Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
                      >> Add feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).
                      >> Go to Inventory, try to buy Bastard Sword: item is red, the
                      >> PROFICIENT field is set to N.

                      Problem solved. As per your suggestions I have looked into the
                      problem by checking tag syntax consistency.
                      It appears that the problem resulted from changing Bastard Sword
                      weapon proficiency tag names (Weapon Familiarity was not granted)
                      between various versions of RSRD.

                      Also, due to aforementioned Weapon Proficiency name disprepancy,
                      both feats (i.e. Weapon Focus and Divine Focus) failed. Currently,
                      Mathanay Corinth, 7th level cleric of strong convictions is ready to
                      do some ass-kicking.

                      Things to look into:

                      - since I prefer to use None for a deity (solves the problem of
                      entering closed content pantheons), War domain is crippled
                      (appropriate Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus are not
                      granted). I solve this manually (by allocating two additional feats
                      to clerics, one for MWP, one for WF).
                      It may be a good idea to allow for manual choice of such details,
                      especially since a few gods boast mroe than one favorite weapon (for
                      example: all spears, all swords and so on).

                      - Bastard Sword uses two different proficiences:
                      Sword (Bastard/Exotic)
                      Sword (Bastard/Martial)

                      This results in Weapon Focus being granted to one wield type, but
                      not both. Some weirdness results ("I can do it better with one hand
                      than you with both"). Maybe it would be a good idea to allow for
                      partial Weapon Focus matching, like Weapon Focus (Sword(Bastard/*))
                      or something.

                      Many thanks for steering me the right course to Eddy and David.
                      Guys, without you I would not see the forest because of trees.

                      Of course, since the Scarred Lands are officially dead now, there may be
                      some merit in attempting to contact Sword and Sorcery Studios to
                      produce more datasets.
                      If so, I'm ready to help.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                        > BT> You're not by any chance using 3.0 files in 3.5 mode are you? If so,
                        check
                        > BT> the size of the weapon and the setting that tells PCGen which size
                        mode to
                        > BT> use.

                        > 3.5 all the way (including *checked* 3.5 weapon categories in House
                        Rules
                        > section of settings).

                        And you checked to make sure the size of the weapon itself is set to "M" and
                        not "L", right?

                        The next thing I'd check is that the proficiency listed on the weapon is the
                        same as the proficiency on the feat. I ran into this with some CMP data
                        sets at one point where the feat proficiency was "Mercurial Greatsword", but
                        the item proficiency was "Greatsword (Mercurial)" (or the other way 'round,
                        I don't remember now). Either way, making them both the same fixed the
                        problem.
                      • david allan finch
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                          Brass Tilde wrote:
                          > And you checked to make sure the size of the weapon itself is set to "M" and
                          > not "L", right?

                          I was trying to create a medium sizes character with a Greatsword last
                          week and it seams that the Greatsword has a size of "L", if you create a
                          new one with size "M" using the equipment properties dialog then you get
                          1d10 out for a Medium size creature. Is this correct, I thought that the
                          book had all the weapons as "M" and the "M" damage was 2d6.

                          Regards
                          Dave

                        • taluroniscandar
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, david allan finch <david.allan@f...> wrote:
                            > Brass Tilde wrote:
                            > > And you checked to make sure the size of the weapon itself is set
                            to "M" and
                            > > not "L", right?
                            >
                            > I was trying to create a medium sizes character with a Greatsword last
                            > week and it seams that the Greatsword has a size of "L", if you
                            create a
                            > new one with size "M" using the equipment properties dialog then you
                            get
                            > 1d10 out for a Medium size creature. Is this correct, I thought that
                            the
                            > book had all the weapons as "M" and the "M" damage was 2d6.

                            The SRD files have 3.0 style weapon sizes including SIZE:L on the
                            Greatsword.

                            The RSRD files have 3.5 style weapon wield info. There is a SIZE:M tag
                            on the Greatsword to default it for Medium creatures.

                            (visualy verified 5.7.14)

                            What version of pcgen did you say you were using?
                          • david allan finch
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                              taluroniscandar wrote:
                              > The SRD files have 3.0 style weapon sizes including SIZE:L on the
                              > Greatsword.
                              > The RSRD files have 3.5 style weapon wield info. There is a SIZE:M tag
                              > on the Greatsword to default it for Medium creatures.
                              > (visualy verified 5.7.14)
                              > What version of pcgen did you say you were using?

                              Sorry 5.7.13, I was waiting for RC1 before upgrading again. I will check
                              again after that.

                              Thanks for your help
                              Dave

                            • TheForken
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                                Dear Monkeys

                                I've just built the last sources available on cvs and I've found that the
                                "-" button near each stat row doesn't work any more. I can increase the stat
                                via the "+" button but I cannot lower it unless editing the score in the
                                "Score [Editable]" field. Could you please check if I've something strange
                                on my build or it's really broken?

                                Regards

                                TheForken