5.7.14 Spells for custom classes

  • artoomis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
      I can't seem to get spells to work right with custom classes.

      I was trying to get two things to work - our DM gave us all two extra
      skill points per level plus a Complete Adventurer feat gave my
      character four extra Perform skills at the ranks of the highest
      perform skill already existing.

      I determined that I could do this by upping the number of skill
      points from 6 per level to 12 per level - 2 for the extra 2 plus 4
      for the feat, those 4 to be used on Perform skills only, of course.

      I made this work by building a copy of the Bard class, but, though I
      could get everything else to work (with some effort), I could not get
      spells to work at all.

      I finally created two new templates, one for the 2 extra skill points
      per level and one for the four skill points per level, and that works
      great.

      So the question is:

      Any idea why spells don't work for a copy of the Bard? I did not
      check for other classes.
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
        Just so you know, we try to keep data-related questions over at List File
        Help ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/ )

        Now, about your question. What did you call your copy of the Bard? Have you
        gone through and given this copy a spell list? The easiest method would be
        to put in a CLASS line SPELLLIST:Bard.

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
          > So the question is:
          >
          > Any idea why spells don't work for a copy of the Bard? I did not
          > check for other classes.

          When you (presumably) changed the class name (which is correct) you
          severed the spell/class realtionship.
          Add SPELLLIST:1|Bard to one of the CLASS lines.
        • James Blakeney
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 25, 2005
            Can you have more than one spelllist? I'm reminded of a prestige class
            in Complete Arcane that can have 2 spell list to choose from.
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@e...> wrote:

            > > So the question is:
            > >
            > > Any idea why spells don't work for a copy of the Bard? I did not
            > > check for other classes.
            >
            > When you (presumably) changed the class name (which is correct) you
            > severed the spell/class realtionship.
            > Add SPELLLIST:1|Bard to one of the CLASS lines.
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
              Yes SPELLLIST:2|Cleric|Bard

              I have a class coded with two. And it does work. Check the docs (but
              ignore the part where it says you can leave off the "|" after the
              number, you can't). Not sure if that still in the docs but someone
              else posted a spellist tag without it. IMX it doesn't work without.