Re: More SPycraft Troubles

  • Smigs
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
      playing around with it...
      it seems the D-0 race has a flaw

      taking it with just FIxer, or Mentalist classes (thusfar) causes the
      same error...
      (Testing Fixer with D-1 Race, did not reproduce the problem)

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Smigs" <backstabbinbob@y...> wrote:

      > generated a character,
      >
      > Race : D-0 ( bonus feats Appraise, Escape Artist)
      > Feat Selected : Traceless
      >

      > Class : Faceman 1 , Fixer 1, Faceman 1
      >
      > added in that order
      >
      > at third level, without selected anything other than what was prompted,
      > he has 0 feats to select...
      > instead of the 2 it should be...
      >
      > if he selects a feat at 1st level, he has -1 to select at 3rd..
    • Smigs
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
        On a side note ... the
        D-2 Military Operations race doesn't enforce the applying stat
        penalties when selected...
        one can just hit the "close" option and not have to apply the
        penalties...

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Smigs" <backstabbinbob@y...> wrote:

        > generated a character,
        >
        > Race : D-0 ( bonus feats Appraise, Escape Artist)
        > Feat Selected : Traceless
        >

        > Class : Faceman 1 , Fixer 1, Faceman 1
        >
        > added in that order
        >
        > at third level, without selected anything other than what was prompted,
        > he has 0 feats to select...
        > instead of the 2 it should be...
        >
        > if he selects a feat at 1st level, he has -1 to select at 3rd..
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
          Seems we have a code bug. The D-0 department adds a template which has
          several LEVEL tags on it that add hidden department feats. If this template
          is commented out (preventing it from being added) the feat pool works out
          correctly, though the department abilities are not added. When left in the
          feats granted by the are added at the proper level but then once then next
          level is added PCGen subtracts one from the feat pool, very odd. If you
          level the PC up to 4 the next department ability is added and the feat pool
          is unaffected but then at level 5 one more is subtracted from the feat pool.
          The pattern follows after everylevel a feat is granted by the LEVEL tag
          which leads me to believe its the problem and why I think its code related,
          I can see nothing wrong with the LST.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
            On 1/4/05 2:33 PM, "Smigs" <backstabbinbob@...> wrote:

            > On a side note ... the
            > D-2 Military Operations race doesn't enforce the applying stat
            > penalties when selected...
            > one can just hit the "close" option and not have to apply the
            > penalties...

            Well that's just cheating isn't it ;)

            Does anyone know a way to make the ADD:FEAT tag require a choice to be
            taken?
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2005
              > On 1/4/05 2:33 PM, "Smigs" <backstabbinbob@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > D-2 Military Operations race doesn't enforce the applying stat
              > > penalties when selected...
              >
              > Does anyone know a way to make the ADD:FEAT tag require a choice to be
              > taken?

              The "evil" solution is to apply penalties to automatically and have
              the ADD:FEAT provide a counter bonus to all but the relevant one.

              i.e. if the rules say you take a -2 to str, con, or int
              CLASS:foo
              1 BONUS:STAT|STR|-2 BONUS:STAT|CON|-2 BONUS:STAT|INT|-2
              ADD:FEAT(Penalty)

              Assuming the feat Penalty has a chooser between hidden feats penaltry
              STR, penaltry CON and penalty INT:

              penalty STR BONUS:STAT|CON|2 BONUS:STAT|INT|2
              penalty CON BONUS:STAT|STR|2 BONUS:STAT|INT|2
              penalty INT BONUS:STAT|CON|2 BONUS:STAT|STR|2

              This way anyone cheats out of it and you nuke them.

              Dunno if it's what you'd want to do for a release.

              -James McP
            • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2005
                Nice idea James. Might be better just to adjust the COSTs of the two feats, penalize them on the stat bonus, and reset it with the negative..

                Tir Gwaith
                LST Chimp

                > > Does anyone know a way to make the ADD:FEAT tag require a choice to be
                > > taken?
                >
                > The "evil" solution is to apply penalties to automatically and have
                > the ADD:FEAT provide a counter bonus to all but the relevant one.
                >
                > i.e. if the rules say you take a -2 to str, con, or int
                > CLASS:foo
                > 1 BONUS:STAT|STR|-2 BONUS:STAT|CON|-2 BONUS:STAT|INT|-2
                > ADD:FEAT(Penalty)
                >
                > Assuming the feat Penalty has a chooser between hidden feats penaltry
                > STR, penaltry CON and penalty INT:
                >
                > penalty STR BONUS:STAT|CON|2 BONUS:STAT|INT|2
                > penalty CON BONUS:STAT|STR|2 BONUS:STAT|INT|2
                > penalty INT BONUS:STAT|CON|2 BONUS:STAT|STR|2
                >
                > This way anyone cheats out of it and you nuke them.
                >
                > Dunno if it's what you'd want to do for a release.
                >
                > -James McP
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2005
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Smigs" <backstabbinbob@y...> wrote:

                  > playing around with it...
                  > it seems the D-0 race has a flaw
                  >
                  > taking it with just FIxer, or Mentalist classes (thusfar) causes the
                  > same error...
                  > (Testing Fixer with D-1 Race, did not reproduce the problem)

                  I thought Race was one of the lst types where "-" is a no-no.
                  It might eb part of the problem.

                  I notice that rsrd half-orc and half-elf do have them though - has
                  this changed?
                • taluroniscandar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2005
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kigmatzomat" <jamesmcp@g...> wrote:

                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
                    > > On 1/4/05 2:33 PM, "Smigs" <backstabbinbob@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > D-2 Military Operations race doesn't enforce the applying stat
                    > > > penalties when selected...
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone know a way to make the ADD:FEAT tag require a choice to be
                    > > taken?

                    Do you mean force the user to choose something whilst in the pop-up?
                    AFAIK, no.
                  • Eddy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 5, 2005
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@e...> wrote:

                      > > > Does anyone know a way to make the ADD:FEAT tag require a choice to be
                      > > > taken?
                      > >
                      > Do you mean force the user to choose something whilst in the pop-up?
                      > AFAIK, no.

                      Yeah, thats what I meant. Thought that might be the case. I like the idea James presented
                      on having the feat counter a penalty so if you don't select something you really get nailed.

                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
                        OK I think I've found fixes for these last few but reports. I learned that
                        the LEVEL template tag does not increment the featpool the same way that
                        ADD:FEAT does, when you add feats with the LEVEL tag it subtracts a point
                        from your featpool as if you had added it manually. The work around was to
                        make the hidden feats I am calling with the LEVEL tag set to COST:0 then the
                        feat pool is unaffected. While looking at this I found that the D-2 stat
                        bonus/penalty feats WERE set to COST:0 but since they were added vie the
                        ADD:FEAT tag that actually added 2 points to the feat pool. That's been
                        fixed. While I was in there I set it up so that if you don't choose both the
                        stat bonus and stat penalty selections ALL your stats are penalized, though
                        if you don't take either of them you get 2 free feat points, I don't know
                        how to prevent that.

                        Thanks again for the bug reports, you keep posting them and I'll keep
                        squashing them :)
                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        ~ PCGen Content Silverback