Re: [pcgen] Re: [5.7.13][autobuild] Spells per Day, yet again

  • Frugal
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005
      On Mon, January 3, 2005 7:38 pm, Chris said:
      > I *think* I know where Devon is coming from.
      >
      > The levels laid out in the PHB and Epic don't go on infinitely...

      Yeah they do ;)

      EpicFeats.rtf: (Improved Spell Capacity: Spell slots above 9th level)
      "Even though the table only includes ability scores up to 61 and spell
      slots up to 25th level, the progression continues infinitely in both
      directions. For ability scores beyond 61, or for spell slots above 25th
      level, expand the table to follow the same patterns as shown."

      > Spells/spell levels are given up to 9th level. The only way to go over
      > this level without being Epic is via metamagic feats applied to high
      > level spells. What's funny is to be able to cast these spells, you
      > have to take an Epic feat to get a slot to put them in. :)

      So only epic characters can cast high levels spells with meta magic.
      Sounds perfectly reasonable.

      > The largest boost for a metamagic feat is 8 levels IIRC, so at the most
      > we'd need to support up to 17th level spells, not infinity (which is
      > what I interpret you to be saying, and I would guess Devon is too).

      Stilled, silent, eshued, maximised, empowered, quickened, empowered
      prismatic sphere is something like a 25th level spell (more or less).

      --
      regards,
      Frugal
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005
        > On Mon, January 3, 2005 7:38 pm, Chris said:
        > > I *think* I know where Devon is coming from.
        > >
        > > The levels laid out in the PHB and Epic don't go on infinitely...
        >
        > Yeah they do ;)
        >
        > EpicFeats.rtf: (Improved Spell Capacity: Spell slots above 9th level)
        > "Even though the table only includes ability scores up to 61 and spell
        > slots up to 25th level, the progression continues infinitely in both
        > directions. For ability scores beyond 61, or for spell slots above
        > 25th level, expand the table to follow the same patterns as shown."

        I stand corrected.

        Can you tell I don't play Epic? :)

        Hmm, you'd have to take that feat 16 times to be able to cast one 25th
        level spell. Seems like a poor return on investment to me. But I
        suppose there's someone out there that would do that. :p

        > > we'd need to support up to 17th level spells, not infinity (which is

        > Stilled, silent, eshued, maximised, empowered, quickened, empowered
        > prismatic sphere is something like a 25th level spell (more or less).

        Doh... multiple multi-magics... didn't think about that. (I don't
        usually play spellcasters either, yeah, that's it!).

        Barak
      • Devon Jones
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005
          taluroniscandar wrote:

          >>We have no sources to do that. Asking for post 20th level stuff
          >>

          >that is
          >

          >>not epic is essentially new pcgen content, not RSRD - and thus far we
          >>have avoided generating wholely new content of this sort.
          >>

          >Maybe I misunderstand your response Devon but epic rsrd IS a source
          >that does that.

          I think I was minunderstanding - I thought what was being asked for was
          non-epic, infinite progression that followed basically the same path as
          the first 20 levels.

          my bad.

          Devon
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005

            That's exactly whaat's being asked for. :)

            See the posts Frugal and I exchanged. :p

            Barak
          • tir_gwaith
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 4, 2005
              > That's exactly whaat's being asked for. :)
              >
              > See the posts Frugal and I exchanged. :p
              >
              > Barak

              Not Quite - the bonus spells follow that progression, and as long as
              a caster can CAST at that level, they get the bonus slots (IIRC, that
              is already done in the system GameMode files somewhere. If not, then
              that is another hardcode we'll have to pull out.)

              From what I read, he was discussing new automatic slots past 20th
              level, while Frugal was mentioning the Bonus spells, which is
              strictly dependent on Ability score and ability to cast a spell
              level. Your comment on the feat per spell level is correct - you can
              get up to 25th level spell slots by spending 16 epic feats.

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp
            • Frugal
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 4, 2005
                Chris wrote:

                >>On Mon, January 3, 2005 7:38 pm, Chris said:
                >>

                >>>I *think* I know where Devon is coming from.
                >>>
                >>>The levels laid out in the PHB and Epic don't go on infinitely...
                >>>

                >>Yeah they do ;)
                >>
                >>EpicFeats.rtf: (Improved Spell Capacity: Spell slots above 9th level)
                >>"Even though the table only includes ability scores up to 61 and spell
                >>slots up to 25th level, the progression continues infinitely in both
                >>directions. For ability scores beyond 61, or for spell slots above
                >>25th level, expand the table to follow the same patterns as shown."
                >>

                >I stand corrected.
                >
                >Can you tell I don't play Epic? :)
                >
                >Hmm, you'd have to take that feat 16 times to be able to cast one 25th
                >level spell. Seems like a poor return on investment to me. But I
                >suppose there's someone out there that would do that. :p

                especially when you can spend 9 feats to take "Automatic Quicken spell",
                "auto Silent Spell" and "Auto Still Spell" 3 times and have every single
                spell you cast as quickened stilled and silent...

                regards
                Frugal