Re: [5.7.13][autobuild] Spells per Day, yet again

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Devon Jones <soulcatcher@e...> wrote:
      > andargor wrote:
      >
      > >But what happens to Improved Spell Capacity? I'm talking about 10th
      > >level, 11th level, etc. ad infinitum. It adds a slot up to a level
      > >higher that the character can cast. So:
      > >
      > >- MAXLEVEL needs to follow that, so that the added slot may be from
      > >level 0 to MAXLEVEL+1
      > >- Bonus spells per day from a high spellcasting ability score need to
      > >be taken into account for those slots
      > >- They need to be displayed properly (both in the spells pane and on
      > >the outputsheets), so CAST with a lot of 0's will look strange.
      > >
      > >I'm very uncomfortable with the CAST mechanic in any case. It would
      > >look very kludgy. Is there no way to implement an infinitely scalable
      > >and consistent spells per day approach?
      > >

      > We have no sources to do that. Asking for post 20th level stuff
      that is
      > not epic is essentially new pcgen content, not RSRD - and thus far we
      > have avoided generating wholely new content of this sort.

      Maybe I misunderstand your response Devon but epic rsrd IS a source
      that does that.
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005
        > > We have no sources to do that. Asking for post 20th level stuff
        > that is
        > > not epic is essentially new pcgen content, not RSRD - and thus far
        we
        > > have avoided generating wholely new content of this sort.
        > >
        > Maybe I misunderstand your response Devon but epic rsrd IS a source
        > that does that.

        I *think* I know where Devon is coming from.

        The levels laid out in the PHB and Epic don't go on infinitely...

        Spells/spell levels are given up to 9th level. The only way to go over
        this level without being Epic is via metamagic feats applied to high
        level spells. What's funny is to be able to cast these spells, you
        have to take an Epic feat to get a slot to put them in. :)

        The largest boost for a metamagic feat is 8 levels IIRC, so at the most
        we'd need to support up to 17th level spells, not infinity (which is
        what I interpret you to be saying, and I would guess Devon is too).

        After that there are Epic spells, which are a completely different
        animal and will need a lot of help to work in PCGen. :p

        Barak
      • Frugal
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005
          On Mon, January 3, 2005 7:38 pm, Chris said:
          > I *think* I know where Devon is coming from.
          >
          > The levels laid out in the PHB and Epic don't go on infinitely...

          Yeah they do ;)

          EpicFeats.rtf: (Improved Spell Capacity: Spell slots above 9th level)
          "Even though the table only includes ability scores up to 61 and spell
          slots up to 25th level, the progression continues infinitely in both
          directions. For ability scores beyond 61, or for spell slots above 25th
          level, expand the table to follow the same patterns as shown."

          > Spells/spell levels are given up to 9th level. The only way to go over
          > this level without being Epic is via metamagic feats applied to high
          > level spells. What's funny is to be able to cast these spells, you
          > have to take an Epic feat to get a slot to put them in. :)

          So only epic characters can cast high levels spells with meta magic.
          Sounds perfectly reasonable.

          > The largest boost for a metamagic feat is 8 levels IIRC, so at the most
          > we'd need to support up to 17th level spells, not infinity (which is
          > what I interpret you to be saying, and I would guess Devon is too).

          Stilled, silent, eshued, maximised, empowered, quickened, empowered
          prismatic sphere is something like a 25th level spell (more or less).

          --
          regards,
          Frugal
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005
            > On Mon, January 3, 2005 7:38 pm, Chris said:
            > > I *think* I know where Devon is coming from.
            > >
            > > The levels laid out in the PHB and Epic don't go on infinitely...
            >
            > Yeah they do ;)
            >
            > EpicFeats.rtf: (Improved Spell Capacity: Spell slots above 9th level)
            > "Even though the table only includes ability scores up to 61 and spell
            > slots up to 25th level, the progression continues infinitely in both
            > directions. For ability scores beyond 61, or for spell slots above
            > 25th level, expand the table to follow the same patterns as shown."

            I stand corrected.

            Can you tell I don't play Epic? :)

            Hmm, you'd have to take that feat 16 times to be able to cast one 25th
            level spell. Seems like a poor return on investment to me. But I
            suppose there's someone out there that would do that. :p

            > > we'd need to support up to 17th level spells, not infinity (which is

            > Stilled, silent, eshued, maximised, empowered, quickened, empowered
            > prismatic sphere is something like a 25th level spell (more or less).

            Doh... multiple multi-magics... didn't think about that. (I don't
            usually play spellcasters either, yeah, that's it!).

            Barak
          • Devon Jones
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005
              taluroniscandar wrote:

              >>We have no sources to do that. Asking for post 20th level stuff
              >>

              >that is
              >

              >>not epic is essentially new pcgen content, not RSRD - and thus far we
              >>have avoided generating wholely new content of this sort.
              >>

              >Maybe I misunderstand your response Devon but epic rsrd IS a source
              >that does that.

              I think I was minunderstanding - I thought what was being asked for was
              non-epic, infinite progression that followed basically the same path as
              the first 20 levels.

              my bad.

              Devon
            • Barak
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 3, 2005

                That's exactly whaat's being asked for. :)

                See the posts Frugal and I exchanged. :p

                Barak
              • tir_gwaith
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 4, 2005
                  > That's exactly whaat's being asked for. :)
                  >
                  > See the posts Frugal and I exchanged. :p
                  >
                  > Barak

                  Not Quite - the bonus spells follow that progression, and as long as
                  a caster can CAST at that level, they get the bonus slots (IIRC, that
                  is already done in the system GameMode files somewhere. If not, then
                  that is another hardcode we'll have to pull out.)

                  From what I read, he was discussing new automatic slots past 20th
                  level, while Frugal was mentioning the Bonus spells, which is
                  strictly dependent on Ability score and ability to cast a spell
                  level. Your comment on the feat per spell level is correct - you can
                  get up to 25th level spell slots by spending 16 epic feats.

                  Tir Gwaith
                  LST Chimp
                • Frugal
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 4, 2005
                    Chris wrote:

                    >>On Mon, January 3, 2005 7:38 pm, Chris said:
                    >>

                    >>>I *think* I know where Devon is coming from.
                    >>>
                    >>>The levels laid out in the PHB and Epic don't go on infinitely...
                    >>>

                    >>Yeah they do ;)
                    >>
                    >>EpicFeats.rtf: (Improved Spell Capacity: Spell slots above 9th level)
                    >>"Even though the table only includes ability scores up to 61 and spell
                    >>slots up to 25th level, the progression continues infinitely in both
                    >>directions. For ability scores beyond 61, or for spell slots above
                    >>25th level, expand the table to follow the same patterns as shown."
                    >>

                    >I stand corrected.
                    >
                    >Can you tell I don't play Epic? :)
                    >
                    >Hmm, you'd have to take that feat 16 times to be able to cast one 25th
                    >level spell. Seems like a poor return on investment to me. But I
                    >suppose there's someone out there that would do that. :p

                    especially when you can spend 9 feats to take "Automatic Quicken spell",
                    "auto Silent Spell" and "Auto Still Spell" 3 times and have every single
                    spell you cast as quickened stilled and silent...

                    regards
                    Frugal