RE: [pcgen] L5R Question

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
      PCGen does not have permission to create datasets for WotC's closed content
      material. Code Monkey Publishing ( http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/ )
      does have a license, and you can purchase datasets from them.

      As for the AEG L5R material, I don't know if anyone has done anything with
      those books. I don't own them, but I know that there are licensing and PI
      issues involved with this series.

      Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.

      Paul W. King
      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
        > Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.
        >
        > Paul W. King
        > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

        Paul,

        No problem and thanks for the info. Any idea what the problems
        are? I know that AEG has the OGL on the backs of all of their L5R
        books and they have other books in PCGen.

        Dennis
      • Paul W. King
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
          Its my understanding that L5R books are released under the OGL, but don't
          they also include special licensing from WotC for being based on Oriental
          Adventure material (going from memory here)? If nothing else, there's PI
          involved in those books that, to include, we'd need to get special
          permission from AEG (and possibly WotC as well).

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
            I've been interested in the PI aspect of the AEG/L5R stuff. The
            "Goodies License" as they call it allows use of PI to refer to Open
            Content mechanics in OGL products, so I'm not sure what objection they
            might have to PI'd use of the names in PCGen. As with anything else
            you'd want to ASK them first, but I can't see that they would say NO
            to use of the PI in this regard. Now licensing with WotC, on the
            other hand...

            Mark.

            On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 03:20:12 -0500, Paul W. King
            <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

            > Its my understanding that L5R books are released under the OGL, but don't
            > they also include special licensing from WotC for being based on Oriental
            > Adventure material (going from memory here)? If nothing else, there's PI
            > involved in those books that, to include, we'd need to get special
            > permission from AEG (and possibly WotC as well).
            >
            > Paul W. King
            > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

          • Dennis Karambelas
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2005
              Mark,

              Yes, they do call it the goodies license. I've seen other AEG
              products in PCGen, so I don't think they'd have any more or less of
              an issue with this that say they do with their Dragon or Dungeon
              sourcebooks. I know a bunch of people that would be interested in
              an L5R application. But, as you say, how would WotC feel about this
              since it is all under a sub-license for their OA milieu.

              Dennis

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Mark Perneta <grognard@g...> wrote:
              > I've been interested in the PI aspect of the AEG/L5R stuff.
              The
              > "Goodies License" as they call it allows use of PI to refer to Open
              > Content mechanics in OGL products, so I'm not sure what objection
              they
              > might have to PI'd use of the names in PCGen. As with anything
              else
              > you'd want to ASK them first, but I can't see that they would say
              NO
              > to use of the PI in this regard. Now licensing with WotC, on the
              > other hand...
              >
              > Mark.
              >
              > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 03:20:12 -0500, Paul W. King
              > <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Its my understanding that L5R books are released under the OGL,
              but don't
              > > they also include special licensing from WotC for being based on
              Oriental
              > > Adventure material (going from memory here)? If nothing else,
              there's PI
              > > involved in those books that, to include, we'd need to get
              special
              > > permission from AEG (and possibly WotC as well).
              > >
              > > Paul W. King
              > > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

              1/3/2005