L5R Question

  • Dennis Karambelas
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
      All,

      Does anyone know of any supplemental downloads to make PC Gen work
      for L5R character generation? I'd like to know if there is anything
      out there to bring it in line with WotC Oriental Adventures or
      (better yet) the AEG line of L5R products. Does anyone have any
      info for me here? Thanks.

      Dennis
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
        PCGen does not have permission to create datasets for WotC's closed content
        material. Code Monkey Publishing ( http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/ )
        does have a license, and you can purchase datasets from them.

        As for the AEG L5R material, I don't know if anyone has done anything with
        those books. I don't own them, but I know that there are licensing and PI
        issues involved with this series.

        Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
          > Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.
          >
          > Paul W. King
          > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

          Paul,

          No problem and thanks for the info. Any idea what the problems
          are? I know that AEG has the OGL on the backs of all of their L5R
          books and they have other books in PCGen.

          Dennis
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
            Its my understanding that L5R books are released under the OGL, but don't
            they also include special licensing from WotC for being based on Oriental
            Adventure material (going from memory here)? If nothing else, there's PI
            involved in those books that, to include, we'd need to get special
            permission from AEG (and possibly WotC as well).

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
              I've been interested in the PI aspect of the AEG/L5R stuff. The
              "Goodies License" as they call it allows use of PI to refer to Open
              Content mechanics in OGL products, so I'm not sure what objection they
              might have to PI'd use of the names in PCGen. As with anything else
              you'd want to ASK them first, but I can't see that they would say NO
              to use of the PI in this regard. Now licensing with WotC, on the
              other hand...

              Mark.

              On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 03:20:12 -0500, Paul W. King
              <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

              > Its my understanding that L5R books are released under the OGL, but don't
              > they also include special licensing from WotC for being based on Oriental
              > Adventure material (going from memory here)? If nothing else, there's PI
              > involved in those books that, to include, we'd need to get special
              > permission from AEG (and possibly WotC as well).
              >
              > Paul W. King
              > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

            • Dennis Karambelas
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 15, 2005
                Mark,

                Yes, they do call it the goodies license. I've seen other AEG
                products in PCGen, so I don't think they'd have any more or less of
                an issue with this that say they do with their Dragon or Dungeon
                sourcebooks. I know a bunch of people that would be interested in
                an L5R application. But, as you say, how would WotC feel about this
                since it is all under a sub-license for their OA milieu.

                Dennis

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Mark Perneta <grognard@g...> wrote:
                > I've been interested in the PI aspect of the AEG/L5R stuff.
                The
                > "Goodies License" as they call it allows use of PI to refer to Open
                > Content mechanics in OGL products, so I'm not sure what objection
                they
                > might have to PI'd use of the names in PCGen. As with anything
                else
                > you'd want to ASK them first, but I can't see that they would say
                NO
                > to use of the PI in this regard. Now licensing with WotC, on the
                > other hand...
                >
                > Mark.
                >
                > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 03:20:12 -0500, Paul W. King
                > <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Its my understanding that L5R books are released under the OGL,
                but don't
                > > they also include special licensing from WotC for being based on
                Oriental
                > > Adventure material (going from memory here)? If nothing else,
                there's PI
                > > involved in those books that, to include, we'd need to get
                special
                > > permission from AEG (and possibly WotC as well).
                > >
                > > Paul W. King
                > > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

                1/3/2005