[FREQ] Change synergy bonus to be variable based

  • raxx_the_grey
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
      I've got a source that has a feat that changes the synergy bonus for
      a character's skills from 2 to 3. I looked in the lst files and
      found that all the synergy bonuses are hard-coded to 2. Can this be
      changed to be a variable defined in the gamemode files and then
      modified by the feat? I tried adding DEFINE:SYNERGYBONUS|2 to a few
      of the gamemode files but that didn't work. If this can be added
      I'll volunteer to make the lst file changes to use the new variable
      in all of the currently released sources.

      Rax the Grey
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
        [ 1092263 ] Change synergy bonus to be variable based
        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
        func=detail&aid=1092263&group_id=25576&atid=384722

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
          > I've got a source that has a feat that changes the synergy bonus for
          > a character's skills from 2 to 3. I looked in the lst files and
          > found that all the synergy bonuses are hard-coded to 2. Can this be
          > changed to be a variable defined in the gamemode files and then
          > modified by the feat? I tried adding DEFINE:SYNERGYBONUS|2 to a few
          > of the gamemode files but that didn't work. If this can be added
          > I'll volunteer to make the lst file changes to use the new variable
          > in all of the currently released sources.

          Umm, what's wrong with BONUS:SKILL|SkillName|#|TYPE=Synergy.STACK?

          :)

          Barak
        • raxx_the_grey
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
            > > I've got a source that has a feat that changes the synergy bonus
            for
            > > a character's skills from 2 to 3. I looked in the lst files and
            > > found that all the synergy bonuses are hard-coded to 2. Can this
            be
            > > changed to be a variable defined in the gamemode files and then
            > > modified by the feat? I tried adding DEFINE:SYNERGYBONUS|2 to a
            few
            > > of the gamemode files but that didn't work. If this can be added
            > > I'll volunteer to make the lst file changes to use the new
            variable
            > > in all of the currently released sources.
            >
            > Umm, what's wrong with BONUS:SKILL|SkillName|#|TYPE=Synergy.STACK?
            >
            > :)
            >
            > Barak

            The value of # is hard-coded. I need to be able to change the value
            of # for all skills that have a synergy bonus with a feat. The
            default value is 2, but with this feat the character taking it gets 3
            instead.

            Rax the Grey
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "raxx_the_grey" <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:

              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
              > > > I've got a source that has a feat that changes the synergy bonus
              > for
              > > > a character's skills from 2 to 3. I looked in the lst files and
              > > > found that all the synergy bonuses are hard-coded to 2. Can this
              > be
              > > > changed to be a variable defined in the gamemode files and then
              > > > modified by the feat? I tried adding DEFINE:SYNERGYBONUS|2 to a
              > few
              > > > of the gamemode files but that didn't work. If this can be added
              > > > I'll volunteer to make the lst file changes to use the new
              > variable
              > > > in all of the currently released sources.
              > >
              > > Umm, what's wrong with BONUS:SKILL|SkillName|#|TYPE=Synergy.STACK?
              > >
              > > :)
              > >
              > > Barak
              >
              > The value of # is hard-coded. I need to be able to change the value
              > of # for all skills that have a synergy bonus with a feat. The
              > default value is 2, but with this feat the character taking it gets 3
              > instead.

              I think he meant putting that tag into your feat with # being the
              extra amount you wish to be applied. I believe it would be 1 in your
              case to give a total of 3 between the standard synergy bonus and your
              desired increase.
            • Kevin Brown
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004

                >>> Umm, what's wrong with BONUS:SKILL|SkillName|#|TYPE=Synergy.STACK?

                >> The value of # is hard-coded. I need to be able to change the value of #
                >> for all skills that have a synergy bonus with a feat. The default value is
                >> 2, but with this feat the character taking it gets 3 instead.
                >

                > I think he meant putting that tag into your feat with # being the extra
                > amount you wish to be applied. I believe it would be 1 in your case to give a
                > total of 3 between the standard synergy bonus and your desired increase.

                Sounds like the feat just blanket changes the synergy bonus from the standard 2
                to 3 for all skills. Guess this solution could work, but would require the feat
                to have a lot of Bonus lines to hit all the skills...
              • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
                  Rax, if you get the files in an attachment in a DM tracker (either the one Paul made, or if that doesn't work, a List File Fix tracker), I'll get it into the releases... It'll happen a lot more quickly that way. :)

                  Tir Gwaith
                  LST Chimp

                • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
                    Except that way, you'd have to list ALL The different Synergy bonuses, which comes out to a lot of tags. His way is more flexible. Never needed it before, but now that it's been requested, I see no reason to not refactor it.

                    Tir Gwaith
                    LST Chimp

                    > > The value of # is hard-coded. I need to be able to change the
                    > > value of # for all skills that have a synergy bonus with a feat.
                    > > The default value is 2, but with this feat the character taking
                    > > it gets 3 instead.
                    >
                    > I think he meant putting that tag into your feat with # being the
                    > extra amount you wish to be applied. I believe it would be 1 in your
                    > case to give a total of 3 between the standard synergy bonus and your
                    > desired increase.
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
                      > Sounds like the feat just blanket changes the synergy bonus from the
                      > standard 2 to 3 for all skills. Guess this solution could work, but
                      > would require the feat to have a lot of Bonus lines to hit all the
                      > skills...

                      Holy cow! That's a powerful feat!

                      I missed that he wanted to apply it to ALL synergies...

                      So, do we then have the base synergy bonus defined in one of the game
                      mode files then?

                      Barak
                    • raxx_the_grey
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                        > > Sounds like the feat just blanket changes the synergy bonus from
                        the
                        > > standard 2 to 3 for all skills. Guess this solution could work,
                        but
                        > > would require the feat to have a lot of Bonus lines to hit all
                        the
                        > > skills...
                        >
                        > Holy cow! That's a powerful feat!
                        >
                        > I missed that he wanted to apply it to ALL synergies...
                        >
                        > So, do we then have the base synergy bonus defined in one of the
                        game
                        > mode files then?
                        >
                        > Barak

                        That's my assumption, but I haven't been able to get it to work.
                        It'll probably require some code changes first. If that is correct
                        I'm not expecting this to happen until 5.9.

                        Rax the Grey
                      • raxx_the_grey
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l... wrote:
                          > Rax, if you get the files in an attachment in a DM tracker (either
                          the one Paul made, or if that doesn't work, a List File Fix tracker),
                          I'll get it into the releases... It'll happen a lot more quickly
                          that way. :)

                          > Tir Gwaith
                          > LST Chimp
                          >
                          > > I've got a source that has a feat that changes the synergy bonus
                          for
                          > > a character's skills from 2 to 3. I looked in the lst files and
                          > > found that all the synergy bonuses are hard-coded to 2. Can this
                          be
                          > > changed to be a variable defined in the gamemode files and then
                          > > modified by the feat? I tried adding DEFINE:SYNERGYBONUS|2 to a
                          few
                          > > of the gamemode files but that didn't work. If this can be added
                          > > I'll volunteer to make the lst file changes to use the new
                          variable
                          > > in all of the currently released sources.
                          > >
                          > > Rax the Grey

                          Will do. Should I get started on it now using SYNERGYBONUS as the
                          var name or wait for it to be implimented? I'd rather work with the
                          lst files that accompany the working code so that any fixed to them
                          are already included.

                          Rax the Grey
                        • Paul W. King
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
                            > Holy cow! That's a powerful feat!

                            Not really. To even get the synergy bonuses to kick in, you have to
                            expend your skill points in the skills. So, to equal out the bonus
                            equivalent of one of the Alertness clones, you'd need to spend 20
                            skill points, 5 each in 4 skills that grant synergies.

                            > So, do we then have the base synergy bonus defined in one of the
                            > game mode files then?

                            I don't think so. Every synergy bonus I've seen in the data files is
                            like:

                            BONUS:SKILL|Balance|2|PRESKILL:1,Tumble=5|TYPE=Synergy.STACK

                            To take this into account, we'd need to create a synergy variable
                            somewhere, probably in the game mode. Then replace the 2 in all the
                            synergy bonus statements with this variable name. Then this feat can
                            be created to increment the synergy bonus and that would impact all
                            synergy bonuses.

                            Let's do it. :)

                            Paul W. King
                            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                          • Barak
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004

                              Umm, isn't that EXACTLY what I said (with many fewer words)????? :p

                              Barak
                            • Paul W. King
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 28, 2004
                                Ummmm...not sure? Because it wasn't so verbose I couldn't follow you?
                                *ducks*

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 29, 2004
                                  > > Holy cow! That's a powerful feat!
                                  >
                                  > Not really. To even get the synergy bonuses to kick in, you have
                                  > to expend your skill points in the skills. So, to equal out the
                                  > bonus equivalent of one of the Alertness clones, you'd need to
                                  > spend 20 skill points, 5 each in 4 skills that grant synergies.

                                  Actually, that is one feat that would give my DM kittens. I have a
                                  character that is currently collecting on all possible synergy
                                  bonuses to her Diplomacy skill. Currently, she is enjoying a total
                                  Diplomacy score of 26 with just 8 ranks in the skill. That feat
                                  would just add insult to injury by bringing it up to a 30. She can
                                  just take 10 on all checks with that skill.

                                  Darkon Turas
                                • Darkon
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 29, 2004
                                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Darkon" <darkon_turas@w...> wrote:

                                    > > > Holy cow! That's a powerful feat!
                                    > >
                                    > > Not really. To even get the synergy bonuses to kick in, you have
                                    > > to expend your skill points in the skills. So, to equal out the
                                    > > bonus equivalent of one of the Alertness clones, you'd need to
                                    > > spend 20 skill points, 5 each in 4 skills that grant synergies.
                                    >
                                    > Actually, that is one feat that would give my DM kittens. I have a
                                    > character that is currently collecting on all possible synergy
                                    > bonuses to her Diplomacy skill. Currently, she is enjoying a total
                                    > Diplomacy score of 26 with just 8 ranks in the skill. That feat
                                    > would just add insult to injury by bringing it up to a 30. She can
                                    > just take 10 on all checks with that skill.

                                    Oh, I forgot to ask - what book did that come out of? I'd like to
                                    check it out myself.

                                    Darkon Turas
                                  • tir_gwaith
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 29, 2004
                                      > > Not really. To even get the synergy bonuses to kick in, you have
                                      > > to expend your skill points in the skills. So, to equal out the
                                      > > bonus equivalent of one of the Alertness clones, you'd need to
                                      > > spend 20 skill points, 5 each in 4 skills that grant synergies.

                                      Actually, it is pretty powerful, for those that go into the area.
                                      I'd like to know the Pre-reqs on it, because I wouldn't want a
                                      character getting that till at least level 11-13, and having to spend
                                      some serious work getting to it (other feats, etc). It sounds like a
                                      weak third tier feat like Whirlwind, but more powerful than a second
                                      tier.

                                      > Actually, that is one feat that would give my DM kittens. I have a
                                      > character that is currently collecting on all possible synergy
                                      > bonuses to her Diplomacy skill. Currently, she is enjoying a total
                                      > Diplomacy score of 26 with just 8 ranks in the skill. That feat
                                      > would just add insult to injury by bringing it up to a 30. She can
                                      > just take 10 on all checks with that skill.

                                      Ok, that's a bit twinky, but I've seen worse (just look into
                                      Dawnforge if you want to see the definition of twinky.) I thought
                                      some of the Diplomacy "Synergies" were only in certain situations, so
                                      most of the time they won't stack. I would like to know what
                                      weaknesses the character has. If he's poured his points into the
                                      charisma skills, did he skimp on spot and listen, or spellcaster
                                      skills? And it sounds like he's poured a few feats into the skills,
                                      so he hasn't spent those on combat feats...

                                      FYI: Most diplomacy (all negotiations) checks are opposed rolls, so
                                      you can't take 10...

                                      Tir Gwaith
                                      LST Chimp
                                    • Kevin Brown
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 30, 2004
                                        >>>Not really. To even get the synergy bonuses to kick in, you have
                                        >>>to expend your skill points in the skills. So, to equal out the
                                        >>>bonus equivalent of one of the Alertness clones, you'd need to
                                        >>>spend 20 skill points, 5 each in 4 skills that grant synergies.
                                        >

                                        > Actually, it is pretty powerful, for those that go into the area.
                                        > I'd like to know the Pre-reqs on it, because I wouldn't want a
                                        > character getting that till at least level 11-13, and having to spend
                                        > some serious work getting to it (other feats, etc). It sounds like a
                                        > weak third tier feat like Whirlwind, but more powerful than a second
                                        > tier.
                                        >

                                        >>Actually, that is one feat that would give my DM kittens. I have a
                                        >>character that is currently collecting on all possible synergy
                                        >>bonuses to her Diplomacy skill. Currently, she is enjoying a total
                                        >>Diplomacy score of 26 with just 8 ranks in the skill. That feat
                                        >>would just add insult to injury by bringing it up to a 30. She can
                                        >>just take 10 on all checks with that skill.
                                        >

                                        > Ok, that's a bit twinky, but I've seen worse (just look into
                                        > Dawnforge if you want to see the definition of twinky.) I thought
                                        > some of the Diplomacy "Synergies" were only in certain situations, so
                                        > most of the time they won't stack. I would like to know what
                                        > weaknesses the character has. If he's poured his points into the
                                        > charisma skills, did he skimp on spot and listen, or spellcaster
                                        > skills? And it sounds like he's poured a few feats into the skills,
                                        > so he hasn't spent those on combat feats...
                                        >
                                        > FYI: Most diplomacy (all negotiations) checks are opposed rolls, so
                                        > you can't take 10...

                                        True, but you can always take a 1 since on a skill roll since that isn't an
                                        automatic failure. Most people would be hard pressed to get close to 30 on any
                                        check.

                                        Let's see...
                                        +2 Bonus from Bluff
                                        +2 Bonus from Knowledge (nobility and royalty)
                                        +2 Bonus from Sense Motive
                                        +2 for being a Half-Elf
                                        +2 for the Negotiator feat
                                        So far none are conditional... they all are always on.
                                        +3 from Skill Focus (can only be taken once to help)...
                                        +8 for the Ranks of Diplomacy
                                        +5 for a 20 Charisma

                                        Total Cost to get that:
                                        Level 5
                                        23 Skill Points
                                        2 Feats
                                        Race
                                        and a high charisma....
                                      • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 30, 2004
                                          Ah, 3.5 changes them from conditional to across the board.

                                          A level 5 character has 2 feats, so he's blown both of them for the
                                          high diplomacy check. Sounds fair. And this feat would grant him
                                          3 more. You forgot the biggest cost: taking a class with all of those as class skills. Plus, with a 20 charisma at level 5 (only one stat boost at that point), he's spent equipment moneys on bumping his CHA which helps with both spellcasting and diplomacy skills. Well, that or he's burnning spells for that.

                                          So he's the face-man, and has concentrated on that. I'm assuming a
                                          Bard class, because otherwise those skills are not all class skills, and getting the 5 ranks at level 5 can only be because they are class skills. It would take until level 8 to get that cross class (and a lot more skill points). That or multi-classing, which will bring him down more in combat, etc.

                                          Bards are Geared for that. They aren't strong in combat, and their skill list is wide (20+, not counting Knowledge, Craft, or Profession) with 6+Int. So they can excell in diplomacy, esp. with the prime stat of CHA. Not twinky at all, especially when you consider that he's blown both his feats for that excell, along with a good number of skill points. He's weak everywhere else. His highest spells at 5th level are 3 known 2nd level spells, but can cast 2 per day (and they are from the Bard list, which while diverse, doesn't go deep). In my group, we call that kind of character a "One-Hit-Wonder" as in they can do one thing greatly, but that's basically it.

                                          Tir Gwaith
                                          LST Chimp

                                          > Let's see...
                                          > +2 Bonus from Bluff
                                          > +2 Bonus from Knowledge (nobility and royalty)
                                          > +2 Bonus from Sense Motive
                                          > +2 for being a Half-Elf
                                          > +2 for the Negotiator feat
                                          > So far none are conditional... they all are always on.
                                          > +3 from Skill Focus (can only be taken once to help)...
                                          > +8 for the Ranks of Diplomacy
                                          > +5 for a 20 Charisma
                                          >
                                          > Total Cost to get that:
                                          > Level 5
                                          > 23 Skill Points
                                          > 2 Feats
                                          > Race
                                          > and a high charisma....
                                        • Darkon
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 30, 2004
                                            > > > Not really. To even get the synergy bonuses to kick in, you
                                            > > > have to expend your skill points in the skills. So, to equal
                                            > > > out the bonus equivalent of one of the Alertness clones, you'd
                                            > > > need to spend 20 skill points, 5 each in 4 skills that grant
                                            > > > synergies.
                                            >
                                            > Actually, it is pretty powerful, for those that go into the area.
                                            > I'd like to know the Pre-reqs on it, because I wouldn't want a
                                            > character getting that till at least level 11-13, and having to
                                            > spend some serious work getting to it (other feats, etc). It
                                            > sounds like a weak third tier feat like Whirlwind, but more
                                            > powerful than a second tier.
                                            >
                                            > > Actually, that is one feat that would give my DM kittens. I have
                                            > > a character that is currently collecting on all possible synergy
                                            > > bonuses to her Diplomacy skill. Currently, she is enjoying a
                                            > > total Diplomacy score of 26 with just 8 ranks in the skill. That
                                            > > feat would just add insult to injury by bringing it up to a 30.
                                            > > She can just take 10 on all checks with that skill.
                                            >
                                            > Ok, that's a bit twinky, but I've seen worse (just look into
                                            > Dawnforge if you want to see the definition of twinky.) I thought
                                            > some of the Diplomacy "Synergies" were only in certain situations,
                                            > so most of the time they won't stack. I would like to know what
                                            > weaknesses the character has. If he's poured his points into the
                                            > charisma skills, did he skimp on spot and listen, or spellcaster
                                            > skills? And it sounds like he's poured a few feats into the
                                            > skills, so he hasn't spent those on combat feats...

                                            Actually, Earin is a 9th level Paladin / 8th level Enchantress
                                            (Female Wizard: Enchanter). Her perception skills have 0 ranks in
                                            them so she hardly sees anything. You can find her character sheet
                                            on my website at http://darkon_turas.home.att.net in the "roster"
                                            area.

                                            > FYI: Most diplomacy (all negotiations) checks are opposed rolls,
                                            > so you can't take 10...

                                            Good point. She has 8 ranks in Diplomacy and she collects on the
                                            following modifiers:
                                            1) Bluff Synergy: +2 to all Diplomacy checks
                                            2) Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) Synergy: +2 to all Diplomacy
                                            checks
                                            3) Sense Motive Synergy: +2 to all Diplomacy checks
                                            4) Enhanced Charisma Bonus: +7 to all CHA skills
                                            5) Magic Item Bonus: +5 to all Bluff, Diplomacy, or Gather Info used
                                            against anyone sexually attracted to her.
                                            6) Mark of the Master (True Beauty) Feat: Any creature with an INT
                                            of at least 3 is considered sexually attracted to her.

                                            She a pretty fun character to play. She's a Paladin that has a
                                            phobia against being used. The DM introduced the comcept of Destiny
                                            to her and she flipped out (interpreting Destiny as the ultimate
                                            form of being used). She decided to thwart destiny by chenging
                                            carreers anf moving from Greyhawk to the Forgotten Realms. Her
                                            carreer choice was based on childhood stories of the seductive
                                            enchentresses (which always impressed her). It's a challenge to
                                            maintain a balance between Paladin and Enchentress professions.