Re: [pcgen] Re: Stat Block Generation

  • Brad Sumner
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
      The point buy system is ok, but I don't like it for all my games. You
      end up with the same player ending up with very similar stats. Or as a
      player I have felt that I couldn't put the points where I wanted cause
      all the stats have a use and therefore need to be decent. (As a side
      note when I roll I always end up with stat totals in the high 80s to low
      90s, my friends say that i've sold myself to the ** to have good stat rolls)

      If I did like the point buy system that would be fine for the players
      but I am making NPCs and to have to decide the stats for 20 or so
      monsters and such when I already have so many other choices is not what
      I want to do.

      --
      Brad Sumner
      ITOH City Manager Harid'Zadar
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
        I'm pretty sure, due to the agreement with WoTC, that we can not have a
        random number generator for stats in PCGen. The reason being that being
        able to generate the stats randomly in the program comes closer to
        eliminating the need for the books...I'm pretty sure even the SRD does
        not detail how to roll stats for a character (though I could be wrong here).

        --

        Steven Gilroy
        PCGen OS Lemur
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
          At 08:09 2004.12.03, Steven Gilroy wrote:
          >I'm pretty sure, due to the agreement with WoTC, that we can not have a
          >random number generator for stats in PCGen. The reason being that being
          >able to generate the stats randomly in the program comes closer to
          >eliminating the need for the books...I'm pretty sure even the SRD does
          >not detail how to roll stats for a character (though I could be wrong here).
          >
          >Brad Sumner wrote:
          >
          >>Hello
          >> I was looking over the program earlier, making up some NPCs and
          >>realized there is no real easy way to generate a stat block. Yea I can
          >>go into GMGen and use the dice roller but that is kinda cumbersome. Can
          >>we have a button like the "Generate Random Name" button to generate this
          >>for us. Preferably with customizable rolling methods.

          That used to be true but it is no longer the case. I believe that when CMP received the permission to sell licence materiel for WotC, they also secure the permission for PCGEN to use random generation for the stats, HP, etc. Unfortunately, none of the coders at the time had time to put the functionality back in and the think kind of fell between two chairs.

          I'll verify if my memory is good and if it is, I'll write up a FREQ to put the random generation back in.

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>