Double Weapons and Special Materials

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      I was hoping to get all the issues with Double Weapons fixed for this
      release but this one is proving to be more complicated than I originally
      thought.
      The issue is that you should be able to apply Special Materials to one
      head or the other independently of each other so you could have a double
      weapon with one head made of Adamantine and the other made of Alchemical
      Silver. The exception to this is wood items which are considered to be made
      of one piece of wood and so if you made it from something else both heads
      would be effected. I had originally thought that this could be done by
      simply setting all the metal materials to not apply to both heads and the
      Wood materials to always apply to both but I found a larger problem.
      The problem is that the Double weapons do not start with a base material
      applied to the second head. Lets look at the Quarterstaff as an example,
      when you select it for customization you will notice that the first head has
      Wood applied to it but the second head has nothing. When you apply Darkwood
      to it (which is set to apply to all) it is only added to the first head and
      not to the second because there is no Wood EQMOD to replace.
      When I looked for the Wood EQMOD to manually add it it did not appear in
      the list, I looked at the LST code and saw why: both the wood and steel
      EQMODs only have TYPE:Shield (???). When I added TYPE:Weapon to them it did
      show up and I was able to manually apply it to the second head of the
      Quarterstaff, once that was done the Darkwood EQMOD worked correctly and
      applied to both heads.
      Here's where it gets funny. On another hunch I added an ALTEQMOD:Wood
      tag to the Quarter staff and cranked up the program. It did not throw an
      error in the console so it appears to be a valid tag. When I customized the
      Quarterstaff I saw that 2 Wood EQMODs are applied to it, but they are both
      applied to the first head.

      Conclusions:
      On the code side there is an ALTEQMOD tag but it has a bug in it, it
      need to be fixed so that it applies the EQMOD to the second head and not too
      the first.
      On the data side we already determined that the wood EQMODs need to be
      set to apply to both heads while the metal EQMODs do not. Additionally
      TYPE:Weapon needs to be added to the wood and steel EQMODs so that one can
      manually set the second head to the right material before customizing
      further. I'll hit these tonight.
      After the code bug has been fixed we will need to populate all the
      double weapons with ALTEQMOD tags of the proper material.

      Tracker monkeys relax, I've already updated existing trackers in both code
      and data.

      Code bug:
      [ 1063505 ] Double Weapon ALT tags

      And on the Data side:
      [ 1068192 ] [5.7.9] dbl weapons with special material
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
        > I was hoping to get all the issues with Double Weapons fixed for
        this
        > release but this one is proving to be more complicated than I originally
        > thought.

        Isn't it always? :-/

        [SNIP]

        > After the code bug has been fixed we will need to populate all the
        > double weapons with ALTEQMOD tags of the proper material.
        >
        > Tracker monkeys relax, I've already updated existing trackers in
        both code
        > and data.
        >
        > Code bug:
        > [ 1063505 ] Double Weapon ALT tags
        >
        > And on the Data side:
        > [ 1068192 ] [5.7.9] dbl weapons with special material

        Just as a reminder, don't forget that the R/SRD (and maybe MSRD) have
        some double weapons in the staff.lst files. Staff of Power and one or
        two others can be used as quarter staffs. They get overlooked
        sometimes since they're not in the weapon.lst files.
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
          On 12/2/04 2:31 PM, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@...> wrote:

          >> but this one is proving to be more complicated than I originally
          >> thought.
          >
          > Isn't it always? :-/

          Yeah, its like finding a little loose yarn in your sweater.

          > Just as a reminder, don't forget that the R/SRD (and maybe MSRD) have
          > some double weapons in the staff.lst files. Staff of Power and one or
          > two others can be used as quarter staffs. They get overlooked
          > sometimes since they're not in the weapon.lst files.

          Yup, discovered that last night, I did a search through the whole repository
          for the Word Double to hunt down all the Double Weapons. They have all been
          updated to include the full compliment of ALT tags used for double weapons.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
            On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:50:51 -0500, you wrote:

            >On 12/2/04 2:31 PM, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@...> wrote:
            >
            >>> but this one is proving to be more complicated than I originally
            >>> thought.
            >>
            >> Isn't it always? :-/
            >
            >Yeah, its like finding a little loose yarn in your sweater.

            Just burn it. The yarn melts and fuses with the rest of the sweater. Just
            be sure to control the flame.

            Oh yeah, take the sweater off before you start.

            --

            Terry FitzSimons
            FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
              Terry FitzSimons scribed:

              >>> Isn't it always? :-/
              >>
              >> Yeah, its like finding a little loose yarn in your sweater.
              >
              > Just burn it. The yarn melts and fuses with the rest of the sweater. Just
              > be sure to control the flame.
              >
              > Oh yeah, take the sweater off before you start.
              >
              > --
              >
              > Terry FitzSimons
              > FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

              Yeah but you do that enough times and you end up with a charred mess.
              Though it does bring to mind a favorite quote:

              "Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire
              and you keep him warm for the rest of his life."

              ;)
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Content Silverback