Re: OGL game datafiles.

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, dbackflash@c... wrote:
      > Conan is OGL. It has an OGL logo branded on the back cover.
      >
      > Mongoose also does OGL Horror, OGL Ancients and OGL
      Cybernet. And they
      > likely will be doing quite a bit more. They seem to be the highest
      producer
      > of OGL games.
      >
      > I noticed that the PCGen community has a previous
      relationship with
      > Mongoose. Given that there is Mongoose content already in PCGen. So
      I didn't
      > think it hurt to ask.

      It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
      Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
      then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
      lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
      lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star Wars.
      That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.

      I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
      doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.

      Evan
    • Byngl
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        From p.1

        Conan the Role-Playing Game is © 2003 Conan Properties International
        LLC. CONAN®, CONAN THE BARBARIAN® and related logos, character,
        names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Conan
        Properties International LLC unless otherwise noted. All Rights
        Reserved. Mongoose Publishing Ltd Authorized User. Conan The
        Roleplaying Game is released under version 1.0 of the Open Game
        License. Reproduction of non-Open Game Content of this work by any
        means without written permission of the publisher is expressly
        forbidden. See page 352 for the text of this license. With the
        exception of character creation rules detailing the mechanics of
        assigning dice roll results to abilities and the advancement of
        character levels, all game mechanics and statistics (including the
        game mechanics of all feats, skills, classes, creatures, spells, and
        the combat chapter) are declared open content.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evanmiller@c...> wrote:

        > It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
        > Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
        > then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
        > lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
        > lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star
        Wars.
        > That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.
        >
        > I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
        > doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.
        >
        > Evan
      • R Singers
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
          > It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
          > Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
          > then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
          > lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
          > lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star Wars.
          > That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.
          >
          > I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
          > doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.

          This came up a while ago and there were some whispers about people talking
          to Mongoose. Has anyone actually spoken to Matt Sprange about it?