RE: [pcgen] OGL game datafiles.

  • David
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      Well then, the "eventually" is true... See the ps in my response

      -- david

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, dbackflash@c... wrote:
        > Conan is OGL. It has an OGL logo branded on the back cover.
        >
        > Mongoose also does OGL Horror, OGL Ancients and OGL
        Cybernet. And they
        > likely will be doing quite a bit more. They seem to be the highest
        producer
        > of OGL games.
        >
        > I noticed that the PCGen community has a previous
        relationship with
        > Mongoose. Given that there is Mongoose content already in PCGen. So
        I didn't
        > think it hurt to ask.

        It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
        Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
        then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
        lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
        lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star Wars.
        That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.

        I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
        doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.

        Evan
      • Byngl
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
          From p.1

          Conan the Role-Playing Game is © 2003 Conan Properties International
          LLC. CONAN®, CONAN THE BARBARIAN® and related logos, character,
          names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Conan
          Properties International LLC unless otherwise noted. All Rights
          Reserved. Mongoose Publishing Ltd Authorized User. Conan The
          Roleplaying Game is released under version 1.0 of the Open Game
          License. Reproduction of non-Open Game Content of this work by any
          means without written permission of the publisher is expressly
          forbidden. See page 352 for the text of this license. With the
          exception of character creation rules detailing the mechanics of
          assigning dice roll results to abilities and the advancement of
          character levels, all game mechanics and statistics (including the
          game mechanics of all feats, skills, classes, creatures, spells, and
          the combat chapter) are declared open content.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evanmiller@c...> wrote:

          > It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
          > Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
          > then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
          > lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
          > lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star
          Wars.
          > That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.
          >
          > I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
          > doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.
          >
          > Evan
        • R Singers
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
            > It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
            > Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
            > then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
            > lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
            > lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star Wars.
            > That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.
            >
            > I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
            > doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.

            This came up a while ago and there were some whispers about people talking
            to Mongoose. Has anyone actually spoken to Matt Sprange about it?