Re: [pcgen] OGL game datafiles.

  • dbackflash@cs.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      Conan is OGL. It has an OGL logo branded on the back cover.

      Mongoose also does OGL Horror, OGL Ancients and OGL Cybernet. And they
      likely will be doing quite a bit more. They seem to be the highest producer
      of OGL games.

      I noticed that the PCGen community has a previous relationship with
      Mongoose. Given that there is Mongoose content already in PCGen. So I didn't
      think it hurt to ask.

      In a message dated 12/1/04 6:29:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      Papa-DRB@... writes:
      > The easy answer is:
      >
      > If it is OGL, then yes, eventually.
      >
      > If it is NOT OGL, then not in the SF PCGen datasets. But ask over at
      > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com to see if they intend on
      > doing it.
      >
      > -- david
      > Papa-DRB
      > LN/E Moderator Monkey
      >
      > Ps. Eventually means, only if someone volunteers to do it, which *could* be
      > never.

    • David
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        Well then, the "eventually" is true... See the ps in my response

        -- david

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, dbackflash@c... wrote:
          > Conan is OGL. It has an OGL logo branded on the back cover.
          >
          > Mongoose also does OGL Horror, OGL Ancients and OGL
          Cybernet. And they
          > likely will be doing quite a bit more. They seem to be the highest
          producer
          > of OGL games.
          >
          > I noticed that the PCGen community has a previous
          relationship with
          > Mongoose. Given that there is Mongoose content already in PCGen. So
          I didn't
          > think it hurt to ask.

          It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
          Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
          then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
          lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
          lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star Wars.
          That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.

          I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
          doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.

          Evan
        • Byngl
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
            From p.1

            Conan the Role-Playing Game is © 2003 Conan Properties International
            LLC. CONAN®, CONAN THE BARBARIAN® and related logos, character,
            names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Conan
            Properties International LLC unless otherwise noted. All Rights
            Reserved. Mongoose Publishing Ltd Authorized User. Conan The
            Roleplaying Game is released under version 1.0 of the Open Game
            License. Reproduction of non-Open Game Content of this work by any
            means without written permission of the publisher is expressly
            forbidden. See page 352 for the text of this license. With the
            exception of character creation rules detailing the mechanics of
            assigning dice roll results to abilities and the advancement of
            character levels, all game mechanics and statistics (including the
            game mechanics of all feats, skills, classes, creatures, spells, and
            the combat chapter) are declared open content.

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evanmiller@c...> wrote:

            > It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
            > Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
            > then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
            > lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
            > lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star
            Wars.
            > That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.
            >
            > I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
            > doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.
            >
            > Evan
          • R Singers
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
              > It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
              > Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
              > then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
              > lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
              > lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star Wars.
              > That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.
              >
              > I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
              > doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.

              This came up a while ago and there were some whispers about people talking
              to Mongoose. Has anyone actually spoken to Matt Sprange about it?