OGL game datafiles.

  • dbackflash@cs.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      I was wondering if there were any plans to create data sets for the
      OGL games from Mongoose Publishing.

      The one I am most interested in is for Conan.

    • David
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        The easy answer is:

        If it is OGL, then yes, eventually.

        If it is NOT OGL, then not in the SF PCGen datasets. But ask over at http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com to see if they intend on
        doing it.

        -- david
        Papa-DRB
        LN/E Moderator Monkey

        Ps. Eventually means, only if someone volunteers to do it, which *could* be never.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
          Conan is OGL. It has an OGL logo branded on the back cover.

          Mongoose also does OGL Horror, OGL Ancients and OGL Cybernet. And they
          likely will be doing quite a bit more. They seem to be the highest producer
          of OGL games.

          I noticed that the PCGen community has a previous relationship with
          Mongoose. Given that there is Mongoose content already in PCGen. So I didn't
          think it hurt to ask.

          In a message dated 12/1/04 6:29:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          Papa-DRB@... writes:
          > The easy answer is:
          >
          > If it is OGL, then yes, eventually.
          >
          > If it is NOT OGL, then not in the SF PCGen datasets. But ask over at
          > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com to see if they intend on
          > doing it.
          >
          > -- david
          > Papa-DRB
          > LN/E Moderator Monkey
          >
          > Ps. Eventually means, only if someone volunteers to do it, which *could* be
          > never.

        • David
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
            Well then, the "eventually" is true... See the ps in my response

            -- david

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, dbackflash@c... wrote:
              > Conan is OGL. It has an OGL logo branded on the back cover.
              >
              > Mongoose also does OGL Horror, OGL Ancients and OGL
              Cybernet. And they
              > likely will be doing quite a bit more. They seem to be the highest
              producer
              > of OGL games.
              >
              > I noticed that the PCGen community has a previous
              relationship with
              > Mongoose. Given that there is Mongoose content already in PCGen. So
              I didn't
              > think it hurt to ask.

              It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
              Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
              then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
              lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
              lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star Wars.
              That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.

              I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
              doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.

              Evan
            • Byngl
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
                From p.1

                Conan the Role-Playing Game is © 2003 Conan Properties International
                LLC. CONAN®, CONAN THE BARBARIAN® and related logos, character,
                names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Conan
                Properties International LLC unless otherwise noted. All Rights
                Reserved. Mongoose Publishing Ltd Authorized User. Conan The
                Roleplaying Game is released under version 1.0 of the Open Game
                License. Reproduction of non-Open Game Content of this work by any
                means without written permission of the publisher is expressly
                forbidden. See page 352 for the text of this license. With the
                exception of character creation rules detailing the mechanics of
                assigning dice roll results to abilities and the advancement of
                character levels, all game mechanics and statistics (including the
                game mechanics of all feats, skills, classes, creatures, spells, and
                the combat chapter) are declared open content.

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evanmiller@c...> wrote:

                > It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
                > Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
                > then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
                > lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
                > lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star
                Wars.
                > That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.
                >
                > I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
                > doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.
                >
                > Evan
              • R Singers
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
                  > It may be branded OGL, but I think the big issue is the lisenced
                  > Conan name. If it the system could be extracted from the lisence,
                  > then there wouldn't be a problem. It depends on how integral the
                  > lisence is to the supplement. PCGen generally won't do that for
                  > lisenced product. They're trying to get the rights to do Star Wars.
                  > That os D20 as well, but Star Wars is certainly not open content.
                  >
                  > I have found that some 3rd party stuff is stamped OGL, but that
                  > doesn;t mean everything in it is open content.

                  This came up a while ago and there were some whispers about people talking
                  to Mongoose. Has anyone actually spoken to Matt Sprange about it?