Re: Still looking for Eldritch Master help

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
      I was going to wait until I got home to verify a few points.
      Especially on True Spell. But, this class can be taken by any caster.
      It really only makes sense for Bards or Sorcerors for the additional
      spells known. That's why I had the % sign in my class attempt. I.E.

      2 BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=%;LEVEL=1|2;LEVEL=2|2

      It only adds the specified Bonus Known spells... So, at first level,
      you get 3 additional known first level spells of the class you
      specify. It is also a cumulative progression, not choice, so at 2nd
      level the caster has 5 more 1st and 2 more 2nd known spells.

      I guess the other tricky part would be a bard/sorcerer. Which class
      does it apply to? You'd have to designate. At that point, I'd
      ASSume, with DM enforcement, that it wouldn't change. OTOH, if the DM
      wants to allow it, though, I suppose you could take Eldritch Master
      with each class. Which would give you these bonuses applied to the
      corresponding one.

      Bard 6 / Sorc 6 / EM 1 (Sorc) / EM 2 (Bard)

      I think what Rogue1164 and I are more concerned with is the simple
      case.

    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
        Well, in the simple case, assuming only Arcane spellcasters are going
        to use Eldritch Master, the
        BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=2|2 will work and that way you
        won't have to construct separate bonuses for each class that might
        take EM. If it is variable, I think something like
        ADD:SPELLCASTER(ANY
        [CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL|1|TYPE=Arcane|0|MAXLEVEL|TYPE=Divine|0|MAXLEVEL]
        [BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=%;LEVEL=2|2])
        should work. Haven't tried that, so I'm interested in the results!

        -Bryan

      • Gary
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
          Okay,
          and to sorry everybody who doesn't care.

          1) Every level: Add _fixed_ bonus known arcane spells. A twist,
          though, divine count as arcane for the "Spell Dilettante" spell
          lists. Also, "A character cannot benefit from bonus spells known if
          she cannot cast spells of that level."("Spells Known:" paragraph)

          2) "Combined levels" Would this use the: ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane) tag?

          3) "True Spell: An eldritch master gains the ability to select one
          spell known to her... The eldritch master can cast this spell once
          per day in addition to the normal number of spells he can cast in a
          day." At 2nd, a 0th; At 5th a 1st or a 0th; At 7th, a 2nd, a 1st or a
          0th. "Once the spell is chosen, it cannot be changed."

          4) At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, the eldritch master gains the ability
          to cast a spell one level higher than his current highest level spell
          once per day." More text.. see magazine for clarification
          and:
          http://pub58.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfrm12.showMessage?topicID=160.to
          pic

          from Monte's site for other info.

          5) Spell Dilettante: At 4th & 8th the Em "can choose one other
          character class whose spell list she can choose from when selecting
          new spells that are known to her as she gains levels...Once a class
          has been chosen it cannot be changed. Even if the character class
          chosen is divine in nature, the spells count as arcane for the
          eldritch master."

        • Rogue1164@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
            And one of the preres. for the class is the character must be able to
            cast arcane spells spontainiously. I forgot about the bard when i
            wrote this up. The combined levels only count towards damage, range
            and duration of the spells not for gaining new spell levels. It also
            counts toward familar progresstion.

            --- In pcgen@y..., "Gary" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
            > Okay,
            > and to sorry everybody who doesn't care.
            >
            > 1) Every level: Add _fixed_ bonus known arcane spells. A twist,
            > though, divine count as arcane for the "Spell Dilettante" spell
            > lists. Also, "A character cannot benefit from bonus spells known
            if
            > she cannot cast spells of that level."("Spells Known:" paragraph)

            Which means for a wizard this class in less than useless. If the
            character is a Wizard/Sorcerer it would only add to the Sorcerer
            list. I'm not sure about a Bard/Sorcerer but I would assume that it
            would add only to one class per level of EM choose one or the other,
            or maybe the spells could be split between the classes(This to me
            would be a bad idea.

          • merton_monk@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
              --- In pcgen@y..., "Gary" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
              > Okay,
              > and to sorry everybody who doesn't care.
              >
              > 1) Every level: Add _fixed_ bonus known arcane spells. A twist,
              > though, divine count as arcane for the "Spell Dilettante" spell
              > lists. Also, "A character cannot benefit from bonus spells known
              if
              > she cannot cast spells of that level."("Spells Known:" paragraph)

              Okay, I think the above is already handled by PCGen, but I'm not
              certain.

              > 2) "Combined levels" Would this use the: ADD:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)
              tag?

              The ADD:SPELLCASTER tag adds a level to the chosen class in terms of
              how many spells can be cast and/or known (depending upon the chosen
              class's way of casting spells - so it would only add to KNOWN for
              classes that don't memorize).

              > 3) "True Spell: An eldritch master gains the ability to select one
              > spell known to her... The eldritch master can cast this spell once
              > per day in addition to the normal number of spells he can cast in a
              > day." At 2nd, a 0th; At 5th a 1st or a 0th; At 7th, a 2nd, a 1st
              or a
              > 0th. "Once the spell is chosen, it cannot be changed."

              Oh - sort of like Spell Focus feat except the level of the feats
              which are selectable is limited.

              > 4) At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, the eldritch master gains the
              ability
              > to cast a spell one level higher than his current highest level
              spell
              > once per day." More text.. see magazine for clarification
              > and:

              Does thie level of the spell remain frozen? Once the level of the
              bonus spell is determined, is it "locked"? I seem to remember a
              discussion with Dave Cortijo about this a long time ago and I think
              the answer is yes.

              > 5) Spell Dilettante: At 4th & 8th the Em "can choose one other
              > character class whose spell list she can choose from when selecting
              > new spells that are known to her as she gains levels...Once a class
              > has been chosen it cannot be changed. Even if the character class
              > chosen is divine in nature, the spells count as arcane for the
              > eldritch master."

              Okay - this is a tough one. Make sure you keep a file with notes
              about what needs to be completed yet. We're getting closer... :)

              -Bryan
            • Gary
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 27, 2001
                Are you going to do it, or am I going to make another attempt?

                1) Okay, will you do this? With, or without, the CHOOSE.
                3) No, it's choose another Bonus spell, like a specialist. Once
                chosen it is LOCKed.
                4) I guess it does lock. It is yet another Bonus. If you don't
                already have a spell of the highest level, you get one. If you do,
                you have an extra. (Once per day) Look at the message below. It has
                reponses from Monte.

                http://pub58.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfrm12.showMessage?topicID=160.to
                pic

                > > 1) Every level: Add _fixed_ bonus known arcane spells. A twist,
                > > though, divine count as arcane for the "Spell Dilettante" spell
                > > lists. Also, "A character cannot benefit from bonus spells known
                > if
                > > she cannot cast spells of that level."("Spells Known:" paragraph)
                >
                > Okay, I think the above is already handled by PCGen, but I'm not
                > certain.

                > > 3) "True Spell: An eldritch master gains the ability to select
                one
                > > spell known to her... The eldritch master can cast this spell
                once
                > > per day in addition to the normal number of spells he can cast in
                > > day." At 2nd, a 0th; At 5th a 1st or a 0th; At 7th, a 2nd, a 1st
                > or a
                > > 0th. "Once the spell is chosen, it cannot be changed."
                >
                > Oh - sort of like Spell Focus feat except the level of the feats
                > which are selectable is limited.
                >

                > > 4) At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, the eldritch master gains the
                > ability
                > > to cast a spell one level higher than his current highest level
                > spell
                > > once per day." More text.. see magazine for clarification
                > > and:
                >
                > Does thie level of the spell remain frozen? Once the level of the
                > bonus spell is determined, is it "locked"? I seem to remember a
                > discussion with Dave Cortijo about this a long time ago and I think
                > the answer is yes.

              • Gary
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 30, 2001
                  After looking through the docs further,

                  2 BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=%;LEVEL=1|2;
                  BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=%;LEVEL=2|2
                  [CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL|1|TYPE=Arcane|0|0][BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=%;LEVEL=0|
                  1.LOCK]

                  I.E., To your previous Bard/Sorcerer level, add 2 1st & 2 2nd level
                  spells known. Choose 1 of your 0 level known spells, get it as an
                  extra castable spell, and lock the selection to THAT spell only.

                  Is this right?

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 30, 2001
                    --- In pcgen@y..., "Gary" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
                    > After looking through the docs further,
                    >
                    > 2 BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=%;LEVEL=1|2;
                    > BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=%;LEVEL=2|2
                    > [CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL|1|TYPE=Arcane|0|0]
                    [BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=%;LEVEL=0|
                    > 1.LOCK]

                    The % will only work in the ADD tag - otherwise what you have is
                    correct. hmmm... let me look into this.

                    -Bryan
                  • Gary
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 5, 2001
                      Bryan,

                      Have you had a chance to "look into this." yet?

                    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 5, 2001
                        Yeah - we got that working (supposedly) a few releases ago. This was
                        a bugger to fix, and I'm not sure any classes other than EM actually
                        use it, so it's easy to break. Is it not working again? That and the
                        Loremaster seem to be fragile...

                        -Bryan

                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Gary" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
                        > Bryan,
                        >
                        > Have you had a chance to "look into this." yet?
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
                        > > --- In pcgen@y..., "Gary" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
                        > > > After looking through the docs further,
                        > > >
                        > > > 2 BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=%;LEVEL=1|2;
                        > > > BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=%;LEVEL=2|2
                        > > > [CHOOSE:SPELLLEVEL|1|TYPE=Arcane|0|0]
                        > > [BONUS:SPELLCAST|CLASS=%;LEVEL=0|
                        > > > 1.LOCK]
                        > >
                        > > The % will only work in the ADD tag - otherwise what you have is
                        > > correct. hmmm... let me look into this.
                        > >
                        > > -Bryan
                      • Gary
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 5, 2001
                          I haven't checked. Between Gencon, preparing for two weeks in
                          Australia, going to Australia, getting back from Australia, and
                          catching up after being gone, I haven't had a chance to check. I was
                          responding to the other post. I'll let you know by the weekend.