Re: [pcgen] Mongoose Publishing: Babylon 5

  • David Finch
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
      Nigel Bennington wrote:
      > You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
      > rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
      > distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
      > American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

      http://www.cerebalaw.com/berne.htm
      *The Berne Convention on Literary and Artistic Works*
      /Artical 10/

      "(1) It shall be permissible to make quotations from a work which has
      already been lawfully made available to the public, provided that their
      making is compatible with /fair practice/, and their extent does not exceed
      that justified by the purpose, including quotations from newspaper articles
      and periodicals in the form of press summaries."

      "Fair Use" (US) = "Fair Practice", the definitions of what is "Fair
      Practice" change from county to county but not the concept itself. This
      concept has been stretch in many places to include for example 'time
      shifted' copies of broadcasted copyright information.

      United States = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
      The Commonwealth = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

      I agree that I was not being specific enough when I used "Fair Use" and had
      assumed that this was the generic term.

      Dave

    • Michael R. Beaver
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
        OK all. This thread is DONE. If you want to discuss it further take
        it over to: "ogf-d20-l-bounces@..." This is a
        mailing list for pcgen.....

        Beaver
        PCGen BoD - Chair/PL