Saving initiative files in GMGen

  • Benjamin Pew
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2004
      The initiative plugin in GMGen has a Save option, and its own file format.
      However, I have now attempted to save four different combats from this
      plugin, and every time, when I try to open it later, I get a "File Load
      Error" Is this a not-really-implemented-yet feature, or is there something
      going wrong? Since the error message gives no real information, I can't tell
      what might be wrong.

      I really like the options the plugin offers, but it's not very helpful to me
      if it doesn't allow me to save and reopen files.
    • Devon Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
        Benjamin Pew wrote:

        >The initiative plugin in GMGen has a Save option, and its own file format.
        >However, I have now attempted to save four different combats from this
        >plugin, and every time, when I try to open it later, I get a "File Load
        >Error" Is this a not-really-implemented-yet feature, or is there something
        >going wrong? Since the error message gives no real information, I can't tell
        >what might be wrong.
        >
        >I really like the options the plugin offers, but it's not very helpful to me
        >if it doesn't allow me to save and reopen files.

        It worked earlier, I'll look into this - it should work for 5.8 - sorry
        that it's hosed.

        Devon
      • Devon Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
          Benjamin Pew wrote:

          >I've done a little more experimenting, and it seems that perhaps it's having
          >a problem loading a character--but the character loads fine in PCGen
          >separately, and I think also loads from the characters plugin of GMGen.
          >
          >And I'm not sure if this is a bug or a FREQ, it might be nice if the
          >initiative plugin were smart enough when loading an initiative file to know
          >if a character is already loaded into PCGen or not, and only open it if it's
          >not already there.

          This is a bug, it worked before, it should continue to work now. When
          GMGen became a part of pcgen, it was *supposed* to pass off all loading
          characters to PCGen via a messaging system. if this is indeed broken,
          this is very much a bug.

          Devon
        • Benjamin Pew

            >The initiative plugin in GMGen has a Save option, and its own file format.
            >However, I have now attempted to save four different combats from this
            >plugin, and every time, when I try to open it later, I get a "File Load
            >Error" Is this a not-really-implemented-yet feature, or is there something
            >going wrong? Since the error message gives no real information, I can't
            tell
            >what might be wrong.
            >
            >I really like the options the plugin offers, but it's not very helpful to
            me
            >if it doesn't allow me to save and reopen files.

            It worked earlier, I'll look into this - it should work for 5.8 - sorry
            that it's hosed.

            Devon

            PCGen's FAQ:
            http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Paul W. King
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2004
              [ 1061332 ] Saving initiative files in GMGen
              http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1061332&group_id=25
              576&atid=384719

              Paul W. King
              TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD