Re: Bonfire Night was [Re: [pcgen] Mongoose Publishing: Babylon 5]

  • Mike Mitchell
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
      On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:13:10 -0800, Michael R. Beaver
      <michael@...> wrote:

      > Penny for the Guy?

      Children make a mannequin figure, trundle it about, begging small
      change off people, then go and buy small explosives to play with.
      Originally innocent fun, until the little gits started hurting
      themselves with the fireworks, or putting them through people's doors
      etc.

      The "Guy" would be burnt on a bonfire during the fireworks - to
      recreate the execution of the "heretic" Guy Fawkes after his failed
      attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

      --
      "Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The
      sleeper must awaken."
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
        It is also a concept required for software under Russian law.

        _____

        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
          Nigel Bennington wrote:
          > You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
          > rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
          > distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
          > American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

          http://www.cerebalaw.com/berne.htm
          *The Berne Convention on Literary and Artistic Works*
          /Artical 10/

          "(1) It shall be permissible to make quotations from a work which has
          already been lawfully made available to the public, provided that their
          making is compatible with /fair practice/, and their extent does not exceed
          that justified by the purpose, including quotations from newspaper articles
          and periodicals in the form of press summaries."

          "Fair Use" (US) = "Fair Practice", the definitions of what is "Fair
          Practice" change from county to county but not the concept itself. This
          concept has been stretch in many places to include for example 'time
          shifted' copies of broadcasted copyright information.

          United States = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
          The Commonwealth = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

          I agree that I was not being specific enough when I used "Fair Use" and had
          assumed that this was the generic term.

          Dave

        • Michael R. Beaver
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
            OK all. This thread is DONE. If you want to discuss it further take
            it over to: "ogf-d20-l-bounces@..." This is a
            mailing list for pcgen.....

            Beaver
            PCGen BoD - Chair/PL