Re: Bonfire Night was [Re: [pcgen] Mongoose Publishing: Babylon 5]

  • Steven Gilroy
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
      This is also one of the roots of American Trick or Treat. Back in the
      olden days people used to ask for "a penny for the Guy". This was a
      monetary donation to help create the effigy of Guy that would be burned
      on Guy Fawkes Night. Back in the 1800's and 1900's the church even
      tried to combine Halloween with Guy Fawkes Night because they viewed
      Halloween as to Pagan. That is one of the reasons that people actually
      dress up for Guy Fawkes Night too.
      (I'm not british but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn
      Express....err...I mean....I saw a special on the History Channel Sunday
      evening)

      --

      Steven Gilroy
      PCGen OS Lemur

    • Michael R. Beaver
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
        Penny for the Guy?

        ________________________________

        >>> /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

        "In 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group of conspirators attempted to blow up
        the
        Houses of Parliament (*1). Before they were able to carry out their plan

        they were caught, tortured and executed. Every year since then we have
        traditionally celebrated his failure by letting off fireworks and
        burning
        an effigy of 'Guy'"

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

        It is now just an excuse now for an outside party with Fireworks and a
        large bonfire ;)

        (*1) Note that this was at the State Opening; hence they would have
        killed
        the Executive, Legistive, Judicial and Military 'Branches' of the
        English
        Government. Their intension was to destroy the top of the English
        political
        structure to allow a Catholic take over. It failed, some think that it
        was
        in fact a setup to catch the insurgents.

        PCGen's FAQ:
        http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295bvcd7/M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099483017/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*htt
        ps://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21
        004SS>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2372354/rand=428850881>

      • Mike Mitchell
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
          On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:13:10 -0800, Michael R. Beaver
          <michael@...> wrote:

          > Penny for the Guy?

          Children make a mannequin figure, trundle it about, begging small
          change off people, then go and buy small explosives to play with.
          Originally innocent fun, until the little gits started hurting
          themselves with the fireworks, or putting them through people's doors
          etc.

          The "Guy" would be burnt on a bonfire during the fireworks - to
          recreate the execution of the "heretic" Guy Fawkes after his failed
          attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

          --
          "Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The
          sleeper must awaken."
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
            It is also a concept required for software under Russian law.

            _____

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
              Nigel Bennington wrote:
              > You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
              > rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
              > distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
              > American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

              http://www.cerebalaw.com/berne.htm
              *The Berne Convention on Literary and Artistic Works*
              /Artical 10/

              "(1) It shall be permissible to make quotations from a work which has
              already been lawfully made available to the public, provided that their
              making is compatible with /fair practice/, and their extent does not exceed
              that justified by the purpose, including quotations from newspaper articles
              and periodicals in the form of press summaries."

              "Fair Use" (US) = "Fair Practice", the definitions of what is "Fair
              Practice" change from county to county but not the concept itself. This
              concept has been stretch in many places to include for example 'time
              shifted' copies of broadcasted copyright information.

              United States = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
              The Commonwealth = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

              I agree that I was not being specific enough when I used "Fair Use" and had
              assumed that this was the generic term.

              Dave

            • Michael R. Beaver
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                OK all. This thread is DONE. If you want to discuss it further take
                it over to: "ogf-d20-l-bounces@..." This is a
                mailing list for pcgen.....

                Beaver
                PCGen BoD - Chair/PL