Re: Bonfire Night was [Re: [pcgen] Mongoose Publishing: Babylon 5]

  • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
      Thanks for the history lesson, David. This Texan hasn't done near enough study on english government... I normally stop paying attention just after Henry VIII. I go into the arts (the poets and Shakespeare) but not the politics until just before 1776 (and even then just enough to know the king's name was George), and really pay attention again just prior to 1900, with the european naval arms race, and foundation of characters involved in and formation events leading up to WW1.

      But that's just me. . .

      Tir Gwaith
      LST Chimp
    • Steven Gilroy
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
        This is also one of the roots of American Trick or Treat. Back in the
        olden days people used to ask for "a penny for the Guy". This was a
        monetary donation to help create the effigy of Guy that would be burned
        on Guy Fawkes Night. Back in the 1800's and 1900's the church even
        tried to combine Halloween with Guy Fawkes Night because they viewed
        Halloween as to Pagan. That is one of the reasons that people actually
        dress up for Guy Fawkes Night too.
        (I'm not british but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn
        Express....err...I mean....I saw a special on the History Channel Sunday
        evening)

        --

        Steven Gilroy
        PCGen OS Lemur

      • Michael R. Beaver
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
          Penny for the Guy?

          ________________________________

          >>> /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

          "In 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group of conspirators attempted to blow up
          the
          Houses of Parliament (*1). Before they were able to carry out their plan

          they were caught, tortured and executed. Every year since then we have
          traditionally celebrated his failure by letting off fireworks and
          burning
          an effigy of 'Guy'"

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

          It is now just an excuse now for an outside party with Fireworks and a
          large bonfire ;)

          (*1) Note that this was at the State Opening; hence they would have
          killed
          the Executive, Legistive, Judicial and Military 'Branches' of the
          English
          Government. Their intension was to destroy the top of the English
          political
          structure to allow a Catholic take over. It failed, some think that it
          was
          in fact a setup to catch the insurgents.

          PCGen's FAQ:
          http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          click here
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295bvcd7/M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/
          D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099483017/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*htt
          ps://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21
          004SS>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/D=group
          s/S=:HM/A=2372354/rand=428850881>

        • Mike Mitchell
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
            On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:13:10 -0800, Michael R. Beaver
            <michael@...> wrote:

            > Penny for the Guy?

            Children make a mannequin figure, trundle it about, begging small
            change off people, then go and buy small explosives to play with.
            Originally innocent fun, until the little gits started hurting
            themselves with the fireworks, or putting them through people's doors
            etc.

            The "Guy" would be burnt on a bonfire during the fireworks - to
            recreate the execution of the "heretic" Guy Fawkes after his failed
            attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

            --
            "Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The
            sleeper must awaken."
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
              It is also a concept required for software under Russian law.

              _____

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                Nigel Bennington wrote:
                > You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
                > rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
                > distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
                > American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

                http://www.cerebalaw.com/berne.htm
                *The Berne Convention on Literary and Artistic Works*
                /Artical 10/

                "(1) It shall be permissible to make quotations from a work which has
                already been lawfully made available to the public, provided that their
                making is compatible with /fair practice/, and their extent does not exceed
                that justified by the purpose, including quotations from newspaper articles
                and periodicals in the form of press summaries."

                "Fair Use" (US) = "Fair Practice", the definitions of what is "Fair
                Practice" change from county to county but not the concept itself. This
                concept has been stretch in many places to include for example 'time
                shifted' copies of broadcasted copyright information.

                United States = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
                The Commonwealth = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

                I agree that I was not being specific enough when I used "Fair Use" and had
                assumed that this was the generic term.

                Dave

              • Michael R. Beaver
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                  OK all. This thread is DONE. If you want to discuss it further take
                  it over to: "ogf-d20-l-bounces@..." This is a
                  mailing list for pcgen.....

                  Beaver
                  PCGen BoD - Chair/PL