Re: [BUG] PCGen 5.7.8 Alpha Java executions

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 2, 2004
      > I will have to check to be sure on Java, but I have one release
      > off current, so 1.3.something.

      Well, since 1.5 is now out (PCGen isn't ready to support it yet),
      could you move to 1.4.2? I recall there being issue with PCGen and
      1.3 that were corrected in 1.4. I know, for GMGen reasons, that 1.4
      was required, but I'm not sure if the recent versions of PCGen
      require 1.4 as well.

      > RSRD and optional PHB from Green Ronin (I think), its the other set
      > available on 3.5 besides the Dawnforge stuff (which is not
      > selected)

      Sounds like Mongoose's Pocket Player's Handbook. This set duplicates
      a lot of things in the RSRD. Try not loading it and see what happens.

      > STEPS:
      > Creating a Human Ranger, 2nd Level:
      > 1. Assiging stats - OK
      > 2. Assigning race: choosing from the drop down had a delay

      How did you assign a race before alignment? The race drop down was
      dithered out and I couldn't select until after alignment was chosen.

      > 3. Assigning alignment: Drop down had a 30-60 second delay before
      > it would populate

      Hmm...no delay in either of the 2 above.

      > 4. Assigning class: as alignment if using the drop downs, but
      > direct selection in the class screen by scrolling through was fine
      > (I tried it both ways)

      Well, I've never tried the drop down from the first tab, so just
      did. I did experience some delay in pop-up population.

      > 5. Assigning Feats:
      > Automatic Feats: These behanved as the drop down menus from #3
      > above, but with a 60-90 second delay on EVERY use.

      As above, but definitely not that long

      > Choosing Feats: This was fine, a slight delay, maybe 5-10 seconds

      I experienced no delay

      > 6. Assigning Skills: Experience here was similar to #4. If I used
      > the right clikc options to assign multiple ranks at once, the
      > operation took upwards of 120 seconds or more. If I used
      > the "add" button shaped like ">", then it worked fine, 5 seconds
      > delay max.

      Once again, I experienced no delay.

      > 7. Inventory
      > Buying: Buying worked OK mostly. The only issue I had was when I
      > opened the drop down for "Sell Percentage" to set the value to 100
      > from the default 50. Everything was else was OK, as far as I used
      > it. I was becoming wary of the drop downs at this point.
      > Equipping: Like Buying, Equipping was OK until I had to actually
      > assign a location to something that required one. For example,
      > adding items to a container was fine (ie torches to a backpack),
      > but adding a Container caused the Location popup to present
      > itself, and caused a delay (ie. equipping the Backpack to the
      > character caused a 5 minute delay). Again, after the second item
      > (pouch belt), I stopped doing this.

      I know you said that you saw less of a delay when not having the
      auto-equipment generation on. So, seeing that I had mine off, I
      turned it on to see what would happen. Wow!, what a difference.

      15s to just bring up a new character
      2s to choose alignment
      3s to choose race
      2s to just pick ranger from front tab
      22s to get the 1st pop-up
      52s to get the clothign pop-up

      I stopped after that.

      In case you're curious, here are my systems's stats

      WinXP Home SP2, 2.1 GHz, 512 MB RAM, java 1.4.2_05-b04

      Paul W. King
      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
    • Joe Medica
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 2, 2004
        Sorry Paul, I was writing this as I was sitting here at work, not in front
        of the PC I use for this stuff, so some of my steps might be slightly out
        of order.

        I will remove the Mongoose source, though that seems to be an issue to me.
        Perhaps a warning is needed in the description that says it duplicates
        the RSRD?

        Again, I was busy last night, so I'll check the Java version when I get
        home. I had thought the most current was 1.4, so I could have been off
        one number.

        I will attempt to re-create my character tonight and walk through
        everything.

        Thanks.

        Joe

        --- "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > adding items to a container was fine (ie torches to a backpack),
        > > but adding a Container caused the Location popup to present
        > > itself, and caused a delay (ie. equipping the Backpack to the
        > > character caused a 5 minute delay). Again, after the second item
        > > (pouch belt), I stopped doing this.
        >
        > I know you said that you saw less of a delay when not having the
        > auto-equipment generation on. So, seeing that I had mine off, I
        > turned it on to see what would happen. Wow!, what a difference.
        >
        > 15s to just bring up a new character
        > 2s to choose alignment
        > 3s to choose race
        > 2s to just pick ranger from front tab
        > 22s to get the 1st pop-up
        > 52s to get the clothign pop-up
        >
        > I stopped after that.
        >
        > In case you're curious, here are my systems's stats
        >
        > WinXP Home SP2, 2.1 GHz, 512 MB RAM, java 1.4.2_05-b04

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Joe Medica
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 8, 2004
          Getting back to this now:

          Removing the Mongoose source did help performance. I have updated to the
          most recent 1.4 version of Java, and everything seems to be running better
          in general.

          However, I am still having issues with characters that have a high level.
          I am trying to create a Half-Fiend/Minotaur Cleric (2nd Level) of Asmodeus
          (from the Book of the Righteous). I have created the following:
          1. Chose Lawful Evil
          2. Set stats
          3. Chose Race Minotaur
          4. Walked throught he application of the Monster levels and HP that are
          popped by the system.
          5. Added the Half-Fiend template
          6. Added Cleric Levels (2)
          6a. Added Feats
          6b. Added Skills
          7. Opened LST Editor and added Asmodeus as defined in the BOTR (pretty
          standard stuff)
          8. Chose Diety and Domains
          9. Set starting cash
          10. Assigned "free" equipment that was part of treasure to creature
          11. Purchased additional equipment/stuff with 900 gp assigned
          12. Equipped some of the items, and then the system froze.

          Saves were made after each step and often within.

          I know that I need more memory on my PC, but it seems that the JAVAW.EXE
          is taking up 90-100 MB of available memory and is generating page files in
          excess of 540 MB.

          Any suggestions? This is the "big bad guy" for a game Saturday, and I
          would like to have him available without doing all the work by hand...

          Joe Medica

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 13, 2004
            Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...was out of town. Is your issue
            still speed? Where do you find the speed issue in particular...or is
            everywhere in general? From your step-by-step layout, it appears, to me,
            that you were able to create your character.

            Paul W. King
            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
          • Thomas Clegg
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 13, 2004
              Hi all!

              Installing just the latest autobuild (11-08), there's a problem with having
              the Options.ini and Filter.ini in a different directory other than the PCGen
              root directory. You can't do it.

              I had no options.ini or the filter.ini or filepaths.ini in the root pcgen
              directory after I installed the autobuild. The window popped up asking if I
              wanted to save it in the PCGen root, the disk root, or specify a directory.
              I specified my PCGen Inifiles directory. It took it, I made all the changes
              to the preferences that I wanted, then closed it. Ta-da! It saved in the
              Inifiles directory.

              I opened PCGen once again, and it loaded the files properly, kept the
              settings, etc. However, once I closed PCGen, it saved the Option, filter,
              and filepath files back out to the PCGen root directory. It seems to change
              the filepaths.ini file each time it opens.

              This is a bug that can be worked with, but really should be straightened out
              sice it seems to have been around since 5.4.....

              Tom
              Data/Code Su-Monster :)
            • Joe Medica
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 16, 2004
                Paul,

                With some changes, as suggested by others on the list, I was able to get past the character equipping stage. However, I cannot get the character to export to ANY format. So, I have a great evil character, but I have no way to use him. I cannot export him, and frankly I am becoming frustrated with this application. I spend a few days building this character, a week trying to assign equipment and then two more trying to export it. Performance was the main issue. I get the feeling that I need to delete the character and try again... I don't think I'm alone here, based on some of the other messages. What is the hardware requirement assocaited with the latest Beta and upcoming Production release? I would like to know what the minimum requirements are as well as the recommended configuration for the application. It doesn't seem that my P3, 933, 256 MB, 30GB HD PC is pulling its weight.

                Thanks,
                Joe Medica

                "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:
                Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...was out of town. Is your issue
                still speed? Where do you find the speed issue in particular...or is
                everywhere in general? From your step-by-step layout, it appears, to me,
                that you were able to create your character.

                Paul W. King
                TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD

                PCGen's FAQ:
                http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Joe Medica

                Yahoo: cellowyn2

                AOL IM: JoeMedica1031

                "Wherever you go, there you are...", Buckaroo Bonzai

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 16, 2004
                  Joe,
                  could you upload your pcg file? If you put it here:
                  we can use it as a test case for our performance work. We can also
                  figure out why the export isn't happening properly. We run quite a
                  few tests with every build of PCGen that includes exporting characters
                  - so the fact that yours isn't working means that you're doing
                  something none of our tests do. It may be a specific item or feat
                  that your character has. Sorry about the frustration - I'd be
                  frustrated if my character wouldn't export properly!

                  -Bryan

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Joe Medica <cellowyn2@y...> wrote:
                  > Paul,
                  >
                  > With some changes, as suggested by others on the list, I was able to
                  get past the character equipping stage. However, I cannot get the
                  character to export to ANY format. So, I have a great evil character,
                  but I have no way to use him. I cannot export him, and frankly I am
                  becoming frustrated with this application. I spend a few days
                  building this character, a week trying to assign equipment and then
                  two more trying to export it. Performance was the main issue. I get
                  the feeling that I need to delete the character and try again... I
                  don't think I'm alone here, based on some of the other messages. What
                  is the hardware requirement assocaited with the latest Beta and
                  upcoming Production release? I would like to know what the minimum
                  requirements are as well as the recommended configuration for the
                  application. It doesn't seem that my P3, 933, 256 MB, 30GB HD PC is
                  pulling its weight.

                  > Thanks,
                  > Joe Medica
                • youwhooooooo
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 27, 2006
                    I've had the same problem! I set all my settings exactly as I wanted them, and bam! they
                    never stay put. All my settings are back to the way they were prior to my changes.

                    Please help!

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all!
                    >
                    > Installing just the latest autobuild (11-08), there's a problem with having
                    > the Options.ini and Filter.ini in a different directory other than the PCGen
                    > root directory. You can't do it.
                    >
                    > I had no options.ini or the filter.ini or filepaths.ini in the root pcgen
                    > directory after I installed the autobuild. The window popped up asking if I
                    > wanted to save it in the PCGen root, the disk root, or specify a directory.
                    > I specified my PCGen Inifiles directory. It took it, I made all the changes
                    > to the preferences that I wanted, then closed it. Ta-da! It saved in the
                    > Inifiles directory.
                    >
                    > I opened PCGen once again, and it loaded the files properly, kept the
                    > settings, etc. However, once I closed PCGen, it saved the Option, filter,
                    > and filepath files back out to the PCGen root directory. It seems to change
                    > the filepaths.ini file each time it opens.
                    >
                    > This is a bug that can be worked with, but really should be straightened out
                    > sice it seems to have been around since 5.4.....
                    >
                    > Tom
                    > Data/Code Su-Monster :)

                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 28, 2006

                      Wow, this context certainly has been dragged up from the past - November
                      2004!

                      To assist us in helping you, please let us know a bit more on what you
                      are using. What version of pcgen are you running? What operating system
                      are you using? What version of Java are you using? What directory are
                      you trying to store your settings to, and do you have write privileges
                      to that directory and any existing filepaths.ini and options.ini files
                      in that directory? How are you exiting PCGen when you have finished
                      changing the settings?

                      Sorry about the raft of questions, but it all helps to get an idea of
                      what is going on and possible solutions.

                      Cheers,
                      James Dempsey
                      PCGen Code Gibbon

                      On 28/06/2006 1:07 PM youwhooooooo wrote
                      > I've had the same problem! I set all my settings exactly as I wanted them, and bam! they
                      > never stay put. All my settings are back to the way they were prior to my changes.
                      >
                      > Please help!
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hi all!
                      >>
                      >> Installing just the latest autobuild (11-08), there's a problem with having
                      >> the Options.ini and Filter.ini in a different directory other than the PCGen
                      >> root directory. You can't do it.
                      >>
                      >> I had no options.ini or the filter.ini or filepaths.ini in the root pcgen
                      >> directory after I installed the autobuild. The window popped up asking if I
                      >> wanted to save it in the PCGen root, the disk root, or specify a directory.
                      >> I specified my PCGen Inifiles directory. It took it, I made all the changes
                      >> to the preferences that I wanted, then closed it. Ta-da! It saved in the
                      >> Inifiles directory.
                      >>
                      >> I opened PCGen once again, and it loaded the files properly, kept the
                      >> settings, etc. However, once I closed PCGen, it saved the Option, filter,
                      >> and filepath files back out to the PCGen root directory. It seems to change
                      >> the filepaths.ini file each time it opens.
                      >>
                      >> This is a bug that can be worked with, but really should be straightened out
                      >> sice it seems to have been around since 5.4.....
                      >>
                      >> Tom
                      >> Data/Code Su-Monster :)

                    • Timothy
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 9, 2006
                        Sorry for the long delay. I have been away from my computer due to
                        health issues.

                        Ok to answer your raft of questions...

                        > What version of pcgen are you running?

                        5,8,1

                        > What operating system are you using?

                        Mac OS X 10.4.7

                        > What version of Java are you using?

                        Oh boy. Apple's updated all of it:
                        Java Browser 2.2
                        JDK 1.4.2
                        J2SE 5.0 Release 3

                        > What directory are you trying to store your settings to?

                        They are saved inside of the Apple Shared folder (it is the folder
                        that any user has read/write access to)
                        Owner: System
                        Access: read/write
                        Group: Wheel
                        Access: read/write
                        Others: read/write

                        I think it is important to know that I am using Apple's Security
                        option for my hard drive. this makes a virtual drive of my user
                        folder from which I run all my private data.

                        > and do you have write privileges to that directory and any existing
                        > filepaths.ini and options.ini files in that directory?

                        See above privileges.

                        > How are you exiting PCGen when you have finished changing the
                        > settings?

                        I am always selecting OK.