MODERATOR: RE: [pcgen] Mongoose Publishing: Babylon 5

  • Michael R. Beaver
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      OK stop. We have ALWAYS stated that we will work with the publishers.
      We are doing that and therefore this is mute. Also since this is
      begining to denigrate into a volitle conversation I would like this to
      come to an end or go offline.

      Beaver
      PCGen BoD - Chair/PL

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Michael R. Beaver" <michael@t...>
        wrote:
        > OK stop. We have ALWAYS stated that we will work with the
        publishers.
        > We are doing that and therefore this is mute. Also since this is
        > begining to denigrate into a volitle conversation I would like
        this to
        > come to an end or go offline.

        I'd just like to say two things. Firstly Matt Sprange of Mongoose
        would likely be highly amused if he was reading all this, and
        secondly the term you want is 'moot', not mute.

        Also this is not the first time I've seen this conversation. It
        goes on in pretty much every gaming forum at random intervals. If
        you don't want to moderate it everytime create a FAQ section in the
        files section and put in it a document in a *conversational* tone
        explain the groups position. If it comes up direct the person
        making the query to the FAQ. It's a tried and true fix.
      • Paul W. King
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
          >> OK stop. We have ALWAYS stated that we will work with the
          >> publishers.
          >
          > Also this is not the first time I've seen this conversation. It
          > goes on in pretty much every gaming forum at random intervals. If
          > you don't want to moderate it everytime create a FAQ section in
          > the files section and put in it a document in a *conversational*
          > tone explain the groups position. If it comes up direct the
          > person making the query to the FAQ. It's a tried and true fix.

          We do state, in the Welcome file, last issued on 11/1 here (
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/message/80839 ). This document
          is issued every month on the 1st.

          "Will PCGen include everything that it can?
          We sure plan on it! It takes a lot of time to complete the data for
          a book, but it's time well spent. :) We ask publishers for their
          permission before we include anything, and those of you who are
          familiar with the OGL know that this formality isn't required.
          However, we at PCGen wish to be courteous to the publishers and
          respect their wishes - if a publisher doesn't want us to include
          their material (or just a specific book) then we won't include it.
          As long as we comply with the OGL we could legally include anything
          that is OGL without needing the publisher's permission, but that
          goes against the long-standing policy we've had for PCGen."

          Is this the kind of documentation that you were referring to.

          Paul W. King
          TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD