RE: [pcgen] Mongoose Publishing: Babylon 5

  • Lizard
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 1 5:53 PM
      On 08:57 PM 11/1/2004, Nigel Bennington said....

      >You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
      >rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
      >distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
      >American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

      Two words: Berne Convention.

      A whole lot more words: Even if use is legal elsewhere, international law
      allows for cases to be brought where it is NOT, so, if Mongoose wanted to
      sue, they could do so in the UK or in the US, wherever it was more viable
      for them.
    • David Finch
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 2 3:43 AM
        Michael R. Beaver wrote:
        > Guy Faulks day
        >> Jonathan M. Thompson [mailto:jthompson@...] wrote:
        >> What happens 5 November?
        >>> David Finch [mailto:david.finch@...] wrote:
        >>> /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

        "In 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group of conspirators attempted to blow up the
        Houses of Parliament (*1). Before they were able to carry out their plan
        they were caught, tortured and executed. Every year since then we have
        traditionally celebrated his failure by letting off fireworks and burning
        an effigy of 'Guy'"

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

        It is now just an excuse now for an outside party with Fireworks and a
        large bonfire ;)

        (*1) Note that this was at the State Opening; hence they would have killed
        the Executive, Legistive, Judicial and Military 'Branches' of the English
        Government. Their intension was to destroy the top of the English political
        structure to allow a Catholic take over. It failed, some think that it was
        in fact a setup to catch the insurgents.

      • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 2 4:24 AM
          Thanks for the history lesson, David. This Texan hasn't done near enough study on english government... I normally stop paying attention just after Henry VIII. I go into the arts (the poets and Shakespeare) but not the politics until just before 1776 (and even then just enough to know the king's name was George), and really pay attention again just prior to 1900, with the european naval arms race, and foundation of characters involved in and formation events leading up to WW1.

          But that's just me. . .

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp
        • Steven Gilroy
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 2 5:39 AM
            This is also one of the roots of American Trick or Treat. Back in the
            olden days people used to ask for "a penny for the Guy". This was a
            monetary donation to help create the effigy of Guy that would be burned
            on Guy Fawkes Night. Back in the 1800's and 1900's the church even
            tried to combine Halloween with Guy Fawkes Night because they viewed
            Halloween as to Pagan. That is one of the reasons that people actually
            dress up for Guy Fawkes Night too.
            (I'm not british but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn
            Express....err...I mean....I saw a special on the History Channel Sunday
            evening)

            --

            Steven Gilroy
            PCGen OS Lemur

          • Michael R. Beaver
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 2 6:13 AM
              Penny for the Guy?

              ________________________________

              >>> /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

              "In 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group of conspirators attempted to blow up
              the
              Houses of Parliament (*1). Before they were able to carry out their plan

              they were caught, tortured and executed. Every year since then we have
              traditionally celebrated his failure by letting off fireworks and
              burning
              an effigy of 'Guy'"

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

              It is now just an excuse now for an outside party with Fireworks and a
              large bonfire ;)

              (*1) Note that this was at the State Opening; hence they would have
              killed
              the Executive, Legistive, Judicial and Military 'Branches' of the
              English
              Government. Their intension was to destroy the top of the English
              political
              structure to allow a Catholic take over. It failed, some think that it
              was
              in fact a setup to catch the insurgents.

              PCGen's FAQ:
              http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              click here
              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295bvcd7/M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/
              D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099483017/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*htt
              ps://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21
              004SS>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/D=group
              s/S=:HM/A=2372354/rand=428850881>

            • Mike Mitchell
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 2 6:23 AM
                On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:13:10 -0800, Michael R. Beaver
                <michael@...> wrote:

                > Penny for the Guy?

                Children make a mannequin figure, trundle it about, begging small
                change off people, then go and buy small explosives to play with.
                Originally innocent fun, until the little gits started hurting
                themselves with the fireworks, or putting them through people's doors
                etc.

                The "Guy" would be burnt on a bonfire during the fireworks - to
                recreate the execution of the "heretic" Guy Fawkes after his failed
                attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

                --
                "Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The
                sleeper must awaken."
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 2 6:35 AM
                  It is also a concept required for software under Russian law.

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 2 7:20 AM
                    Nigel Bennington wrote:
                    > You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
                    > rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
                    > distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
                    > American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

                    http://www.cerebalaw.com/berne.htm
                    *The Berne Convention on Literary and Artistic Works*
                    /Artical 10/

                    "(1) It shall be permissible to make quotations from a work which has
                    already been lawfully made available to the public, provided that their
                    making is compatible with /fair practice/, and their extent does not exceed
                    that justified by the purpose, including quotations from newspaper articles
                    and periodicals in the form of press summaries."

                    "Fair Use" (US) = "Fair Practice", the definitions of what is "Fair
                    Practice" change from county to county but not the concept itself. This
                    concept has been stretch in many places to include for example 'time
                    shifted' copies of broadcasted copyright information.

                    United States = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
                    The Commonwealth = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

                    I agree that I was not being specific enough when I used "Fair Use" and had
                    assumed that this was the generic term.

                    Dave

                  • Michael R. Beaver
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 2 7:41 AM
                      OK all. This thread is DONE. If you want to discuss it further take
                      it over to: "ogf-d20-l-bounces@..." This is a
                      mailing list for pcgen.....

                      Beaver
                      PCGen BoD - Chair/PL