Epic question...

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      I am sure that this has been covered before but I can't find the discussion.

      Epic is part of the RSRD.

      I can't create an epic level character, ie. *same* class 21+ levels.

      How do I do this in PCGen 5.6.1? (or even 5.7.8)

      -- david
      Papa-DRB
    • andargor
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David" <Papa-DRB@h...> wrote:
        > I am sure that this has been covered before but I can't find the
        discussion.

        > Epic is part of the RSRD.
        >
        > I can't create an epic level character, ie. *same* class 21+ levels.
        >
        > How do I do this in PCGen 5.6.1? (or even 5.7.8)
        >
        > -- david
        > Papa-DRB

        I've got some test files in Fixes to RSRD that were a proof-of-
        concept of using Prestige Classes for the "Epic class" levels.

        However, the approach that will be used to the same class for 21+
        levels, if the code is up to snuff. You could try to remove the
        MAXLEVEL entry for the class and see what happens. Level-dependent
        benefits may or may not follow and you won't get any bonus feats.

        Or PCGen will come to a screeching halt :) Frankly, I don't know.

        I'll be working on this soon. Epic I believe is slated for 5.10 (with
        optimistic thoughts for 5.9.x alphas)

        Andargor
      • David
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          Ok, I give... Where is the MAXLEVEL entry to be found? I've looked in the 3.5gamemode files, and the rsrd_classes file,

          Thanks

          -- david
          Papa-DRB

          > However, the approach that will be used to the same class for 21+
          > levels, if the code is up to snuff. You could try to remove the
          > MAXLEVEL entry for the class and see what happens. Level-dependent
          > benefits may or may not follow and you won't get any bonus feats.
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
            MAXLEVEL is a class tag.

            At a quick glance rsrd_classes_base.lst doesn't have it at all.
            rsrd_classes_prestige.lst does have it.

            I vaguely recall someone talking about removing it from the base
            classes a couple of months ago.

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David" <Papa-DRB@h...> wrote:
            > Ok, I give... Where is the MAXLEVEL entry to be found? I've looked
            in the 3.5gamemode files, and the rsrd_classes file,

            > Thanks
            >
            > -- david
            > Papa-DRB
            >
            > > However, the approach that will be used to the same class for 21+
            > > levels, if the code is up to snuff. You could try to remove the
            > > MAXLEVEL entry for the class and see what happens. Level-dependent
            > > benefits may or may not follow and you won't get any bonus feats.
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
              If there isn't a MAXLEVEL tag, the default preference stops class
              progression at 20.

              At that point, to do Epic, you need to set the preference to ignore the
              level cap OR set the MAXLEVEL to somethign like 100.

              Barak

              > MAXLEVEL is a class tag.
              >
              > At a quick glance rsrd_classes_base.lst doesn't have it at all.
              > rsrd_classes_prestige.lst does have it.
              >
              > I vaguely recall someone talking about removing it from the base
              > classes a couple of months ago.
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David" <Papa-DRB@h...> wrote:
              > > Ok, I give... Where is the MAXLEVEL entry to be found? I've looked
              > in the 3.5gamemode files, and the rsrd_classes file,
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > -- david
              > > Papa-DRB
              > >
              > > > However, the approach that will be used to the same class for 21+
              > > > levels, if the code is up to snuff. You could try to remove the
              > > > MAXLEVEL entry for the class and see what happens. Level-
              dependent
              > > > benefits may or may not follow and you won't get any bonus feats.
              >

              > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--

              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM

            • David
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                Aha! Thanks, setting preference to Ignore Level Cap works...

                -- david
                Papa-DRB

              • andargor
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@e...> wrote:

                  > MAXLEVEL is a class tag.
                  >
                  > At a quick glance rsrd_classes_base.lst doesn't have it at all.
                  > rsrd_classes_prestige.lst does have it.
                  >
                  > I vaguely recall someone talking about removing it from the base
                  > classes a couple of months ago.

                  Ah, I didn't know that nor did I check. I'll figure out what's going
                  on with 21+ levels when I get there in a couple of weeks.

                  Andargor