Re: [pcgen] [Devon][CODE] [FREQ] p7+ trackers - 10/31/04

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
      Éric Beaudoin wrote:

      > For the record, Tir talks for all the senior data monkeys on this
      > issue. Any functionality linked to a TYPE (especially the hardcoded
      > ones) should be seen as Evil(tm).

      Currently the way PCGen chooses which kind of equipment gets listed in
      the chooses for free clothing ist by looking at the TYPE, it lists all
      equiupment witht the TYPE "Clothing.Resizable", and I don't really see a
      way to do something like that differently currently.

      Also, I'm wondering, what good is the TYPE qualifier if not for linking
      functionality to it? How else is the program supposed to differentiate
      between different kinds of equipment items? How else would PCGen be able
      to know that you can't use a lantern as a weapon or a sword as armor?

      Stefan.
    • Devon Jones
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
        Stefan Radermacher wrote:

        >Éric Beaudoin wrote:
        >

        >>For the record, Tir talks for all the senior data monkeys on this
        >>issue. Any functionality linked to a TYPE (especially the hardcoded
        >>ones) should be seen as Evil(tm).
        >>

        >Currently the way PCGen chooses which kind of equipment gets listed in
        >the chooses for free clothing ist by looking at the TYPE, it lists all
        >equiupment witht the TYPE "Clothing.Resizable", and I don't really see a
        >way to do something like that differently currently.
        >
        >Also, I'm wondering, what good is the TYPE qualifier if not for linking
        >functionality to it? How else is the program supposed to differentiate
        >between different kinds of equipment items? How else would PCGen be able
        >to know that you can't use a lantern as a weapon or a sword as armor?
        >
        >Stefan.

        I have to weigh in here, and say that I agree with Stefan. We *have* to
        refer to specific types in code, otherwise there is no way for us to
        know how this stuff can affect anything.

        Sorry, it may be ugly, but there really is no other viable way. This is
        what TYPE is *for*

        I am btw open to other suggestions, but really, any suggestion needs to
        include eliminating TYPE, because that is it's primary code function -
        to be a filter on items or other things for the code.

        Devon
      • Éric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
          At 19:08 2004.11.01, Devon Jones wrote:
          >>Éric Beaudoin wrote:
          >>

          >>>For the record, Tir talks for all the senior data monkeys on this
          >>>issue. Any functionality linked to a TYPE (especially the hardcoded
          >>>ones) should be seen as Evil(tm).
          >>>

          >>Currently the way PCGen chooses which kind of equipment gets listed in
          >>the chooses for free clothing ist by looking at the TYPE, it lists all
          >>equiupment witht the TYPE "Clothing.Resizable", and I don't really see a
          >>way to do something like that differently currently.
          >>
          >>Also, I'm wondering, what good is the TYPE qualifier if not for linking
          >>functionality to it? How else is the program supposed to differentiate
          >>between different kinds of equipment items? How else would PCGen be able
          >>to know that you can't use a lantern as a weapon or a sword as armor?
          >>
          >>Stefan.
          >>

          >I have to weigh in here, and say that I agree with Stefan. We *have* to
          >refer to specific types in code, otherwise there is no way for us to
          >know how this stuff can affect anything.
          >
          >Sorry, it may be ugly, but there really is no other viable way. This is
          >what TYPE is *for*
          >
          >I am btw open to other suggestions, but really, any suggestion needs to
          >include eliminating TYPE, because that is it's primary code function -
          >to be a filter on items or other things for the code.
          >
          >Devon

          If there is really no other way, at least attach the functionality to a list of types that can be defined somewhere in a gameMode file.

          Still, I rather have a separated tag for this because implicit functionality is never clear. TYPE is good to select subsets of objects and should stay that way. You can then use that subset to define functionality with other tags. Attaching functionalist to some Magic TYPE instance is not good in the long run.

          What I want is to see the link between the types and the functionality in the .lst files. Having it in the gameMode is only one way removed from having it hardcoded unless we create a gameMode tag that accept a list of objects and then use the TYPE syntax to define the list.

          TYPE already has a function. Overloading that function on specific type is only asking for trouble. New function, new tag.

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
            Do you realize HOW MANY Types there are in Equipment? And while many are
            there for users ability to select items, many are there clogging it up for a
            single obscure purpose. I small rule (that groups I've played with have
            always ignored) in the RSRD that will require another TYPE, with potentially
            another hard-code specific TYPE, is something I really don't want to go
            into. I'd like another solution than just throwing everything and the
            kitchen sink into TYPE tags.

            I have SERIOUS reservations about endorsing another hard-coded (even in
            GameMode) TYPE to equipment.

            The other problem we have is that the object's TYPE tag is not used the same
            across all files. Or even the same way all the time in the same file. It
            is like the "Catch-all" drawer in my kitchen.

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
              What Eric said. He's much clearer today than I am. :)

              But then, he and I are on the same page, since we've talked about this issue
              many times in the past.

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
                I agree with Eric and Tir on the general issue, I've found the use of
                various type confusing and full of surprises. I had thought it a good idea
                at one time to document all the TYPEs and there purposes but I never got
                very far with it because there was no way I (not being able to read the
                code) was going to be able to find out all this stuff.

                I would like to take this a bit further and talk a little about design
                philosophy. The developmental changes we are adding to the program can be
                lumped into two groups:

                A) Additions which add functionality, these support the rules by allowing
                players to add items to their characters and correctly track them.

                B) Additions which add restrictions, these support the rules by enforcing
                restrictions and limits on number of items, additions, levels etc..

                Now I know this is a gross simplification but there are a couple of points
                I'd like to make. In an ideal world we should strive to accomplish both
                areas of development but in reality we are limited by the resources we have
                available. I'm talking manpower, the number of monkeys who contribute
                regularly and significantly is small. I'm really amazed sometimes at the
                amount of work that does get done by this small group. When faced with this
                limitation the objective of providing needed functionality has a much higher
                priority then does the enforcement of restrictions put forth by the rules.
                It is also important to remember that this program is a game aid and not the
                game itself. There may also be restrictions in the rules that some DM's
                would wish to ignore and if we choose to enforce them we may eventually have
                to find a way to make them optional as well. The convoluted code we would
                need to handle the exception might very well be greater then enforcing the
                initial restriction.

                Here are a couple of examples of this:

                In Spycraft some base gadgets (Shoes, attaché cases, cars, watches) can have
                additional gadgets built into them but they are limited to a specific number
                of them per base item. I did actually find a way to enforce this but it was
                extremely ugly involving a variable just to track the number of mods and a
                crap load of PREVAR tags. Having figured it out I decided it just wasn't
                worth it and just put a note in the help file that it is up to the user to
                track those limits.

                There is another example in a tracker on SF. It seems vampire clerics can
                only choose between three specific domains (which ones escapes me ATM)
                without additional code the only way to enforce this is to put PRETEMPLATE
                tags in all the other domains which does not balance in the cost/benefit
                equation. Also, what about the case of the PC who has been turned into a
                vampire but somehow stays good, I'm sure this happens a lot ;)

                Now I'm not suggesting that we not look for ways to do these things or that
                we shouldn't put these restrictions in. I'm saying we should prioritize
                development which provides new functionality and fixes bugs before we spend
                much time on things which only restrict users choices. If we can find a way
                to provide functionality and enforce restrictions, great! If we can provide
                the functionality but cannot enforce restrictions we should at least provide
                the functionality without putting the whole feature on hold.

                I don't consider this FREQ to be that necessary for 5.8 especially
                considering it was just recently entered.

                Surely there are FREQs and bugs more deserving of some attention than this
                (VISIBLE in Skills hint hint ;-)
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ PCGen Content Silverback

                Éric Beaudoin scribed:

                > For the record, Tir talks for all the senior data monkeys on this
                > issue. Any functionality linked to a TYPE (especially the hardcoded
                > ones) should be seen as Evil(tm).
                >
                > We've done that in the past and we are still paying (kind of like the
                > Olympic Stadium in Montreal).
                >

                > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:05:16 +0100, Stefan Radermacher <ml@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> thoron-tir-gwaith@... wrote:
                >>
                >>> Devon, I didn't know this FReq was on the 5.8 list. Zaister, is this
                >>> one nearly complete? I haven't heard in a while... I'm not even
                >>> sure if we came up with a final syntax for the new choice system. At
                >>> least, I think I was IRCing about it with Zaister a while back....
                >>
                >> This would be easy, if we would introduce an TYPE for the equipment that
                >> can be chosen, but Tir was opposed to that, so no, we haven't found a
                >> dfinal syntax yet. However, I think it doesn't need to be a 5.8 priority.
                >>
                >> Stefan.
                >> (aka Zaister)
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Devon Jones <soulcatcher@e...> wrote:
                  > Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                  >
                  > >Éric Beaudoin wrote:
                  > >

                  > >>For the record, Tir talks for all the senior data monkeys on this
                  > >>issue. Any functionality linked to a TYPE (especially the hardcoded
                  > >>ones) should be seen as Evil(tm).
                  > >>

                  > >Currently the way PCGen chooses which kind of equipment gets listed in
                  > >the chooses for free clothing ist by looking at the TYPE, it lists all
                  > >equiupment witht the TYPE "Clothing.Resizable", and I don't really
                  see a
                  > >way to do something like that differently currently.
                  > >
                  > >Also, I'm wondering, what good is the TYPE qualifier if not for
                  linking
                  > >functionality to it? How else is the program supposed to differentiate
                  > >between different kinds of equipment items? How else would PCGen be
                  able
                  > >to know that you can't use a lantern as a weapon or a sword as armor?
                  > >
                  > >Stefan.
                  > >

                  > I have to weigh in here, and say that I agree with Stefan. We
                  *have* to
                  > refer to specific types in code, otherwise there is no way for us to
                  > know how this stuff can affect anything.
                  >
                  > Sorry, it may be ugly, but there really is no other viable way.
                  This is
                  > what TYPE is *for*
                  >
                  > I am btw open to other suggestions, but really, any suggestion needs to
                  > include eliminating TYPE, because that is it's primary code function -
                  > to be a filter on items or other things for the code.

                  I agree, TYPE as a function can't be removed.

                  What about changing TYPE in items to ITEMTYPE (or some such), TYPE in
                  feats to FEATTYPE, TYPE in classes to CLASSTYPE, etc, etc.

                  Would solve both problems (but have alot of up front costs).
                • Devon Jones
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
                    Tir Gwaith wrote:

                    >Do you realize HOW MANY Types there are in Equipment? And while many are
                    >there for users ability to select items, many are there clogging it up for a
                    >single obscure purpose. I small rule (that groups I've played with have
                    >always ignored) in the RSRD that will require another TYPE, with potentially
                    >another hard-code specific TYPE, is something I really don't want to go
                    >into. I'd like another solution than just throwing everything and the
                    >kitchen sink into TYPE tags.
                    >
                    >I have SERIOUS reservations about endorsing another hard-coded (even in
                    >GameMode) TYPE to equipment.
                    >
                    >The other problem we have is that the object's TYPE tag is not used the same
                    >across all files. Or even the same way all the time in the same file. It
                    >is like the "Catch-all" drawer in my kitchen.
                    >
                    >Tir Gwaith
                    >LST Chimp

                    While I understand, if the solution involves 5 lines for a new type or
                    500 (or more) to do it another way, sometimes this means that a new
                    hardcoded type is the lesser of two evils. I'll look into the issue
                    that spawned this some time later and see if there is a creative way to
                    solve it without a type.

                    Devon
                  • Eddy Anthony
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 4, 2004
                      Devon Jones scribed:

                      > While I understand, if the solution involves 5 lines for a new type or
                      > 500 (or more) to do it another way, sometimes this means that a new
                      > hardcoded type is the lesser of two evils. I'll look into the issue
                      > that spawned this some time later and see if there is a creative way to
                      > solve it without a type.
                      >
                      > Devon

                      I think the desire is to keep these sort of features out of the code (which
                      are not readable to us non-programmer simians) and have it as much in the
                      LST files as possible. Point of fact, this feature can be done with one
                      existing tag right now, check it out:

                      ADD:EQUIP(Outfit (Artisan's),Outfit (Entertainer's),Outfit
                      (Explorer's),Outfit (Monk's),Outfit (Peasant's),Outfit (Scholar's),Outfit
                      (Traveler's))1

                      The thing we can't do in a dataset is easily attach something like this to
                      every character created. The only way I know to effect any all characters is
                      to add stuff into the stats and checks file of the gameMode and that is
                      really only good for defining variables and adding bonuses.

                      So what about this, we create a way to add feats to all characters created
                      with the dataset loaded. We can create a .pcc tag for this, FEATALL: would
                      point to a file of feats. The feats would all be applied to the character
                      after a race was chosen and the first class was selected. PRExxx tags could
                      be used in the feats and only those that the PC qualified for would be
                      added. So in this case we could have a hidden starting cloths feat with a
                      PRERULE (do we have a PRERULE tag?) and the tag listed above. It would
                      behave exactly as it does now but would only include the correct choices.
                      Best of all it there in the LST files for all to see.

                      I have seen the request for a way to add stuff to all characters come up so
                      I know there are many uses this could be applied to, I have a few in mind
                      for Spycraft.
                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      ~ PCGen Content Silverback