RE: [pcgen] Mongoose Publishing: Babylon 5

  • Michael R. Beaver
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 31, 2004
      Chris,

      Contact me off list about this source.

      Beaver
      PCGen BoD - Chair/PL
      ( michael at tripleknot.com)

      ________________________________

      From: Chris McLaughlin [mailto:kilthar@...]
      Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 9:57 PM
      To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [pcgen] Mongoose Publishing: Babylon 5

      Hi Paul,

      I have sent an email to Mongoose Publishing asking for permission to
      include
      Babylon 5 in PCGen and also asked about the IP aspect regarding Warner
      Brothers.

      I'll keep you up to date with developments as they happen.

      Regards,

      Chris

      _____

      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
        Derek J. Balling wrote:
        > Person1: Gosh I could really use a hitman.
        > Person2: Hey, I know this friend of mine, let me introduce you...
        > Doesn't really hold up as a defense in court, usually. ;-)
        > just thinking out loud, though, not (at all) comparing "copyright
        > infraction" to "hiring a hitman" on the badness scale... ;-)

        I am sitting here wondering what I should say ... it seam that I have been
        hung drawn and quatered, and it is not even the 5th of November yet.

        Basically I did ask permission before I started. And Mongoose said yes but
        they did not want them distrubuted in PCgen. But they did say that B5
        players can use them via the B5 emaillist on Yahoo Groups. I did not ask
        about the WB stuff as Mongoose did not want them distrubuted directly but
        in a fan way. That was one year ago, things change, lets see what they say now.

        So if you want a copy join the B5 maillist and ask me there.

        Dave

        NB - I think that this group has become very uptight about copyright,
        almost like a child that has been beaten to often, it flinches before being
        hit. IANAL, there is such a thing as "fair use", use of data to create a
        character is fair use from a RPG. If the licence from WB to Mongoose
        excludes use of their IP in computers games then I could see there been a
        conflict but other wise I can't see why they would object, but it is always
        nice to ask.

      • notyetmousse24@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
          groups sez...

          'Person1: Gosh I could really use a hitman.
          Person2: Hey, I know this friend of mine, let me introduce you...

          Doesn't really hold up as a defense in court, usually.'

          Sure it does! I mean why would reffering your friend to a dealer in
          obviously illegal services be considered bad?

          'just thinking out loud, though, not (at all) comparing "copyright
          infraction" to "hiring a hitman" on the badness scale...'

          You might not, but I'm sure the MPAA and RIAA disagree with you.

          NotMousse
          TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

          what's the point?

        • Michael R. Beaver
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
            OK all. So here is the thing. Yes we are twitchy about distributing
            copyrighted material. I have been talking with Mongoose about this
            since GAMA. They are interested and pursuing this with WB to see if
            they will let us produce/distribute. I usually do not post information
            like this until I have a more solid answer beyond "I am talkign to the
            them about it." Part of the issue is that the publishers needed to be
            fully educated on who PCGen is and what exactly we do. Once the
            understanding of Open SOurce and how it relates to their PI was
            understood it became alot easier to get permissions for book/sources.
            One of the biggest challenges is getting people to code sources that
            publishers want to see.

            Now the twitch is distribution. We CANNOT publically distribute files
            via the site or the zip files that we do not have perms for. So if
            people would like to make a set for B5 that I can show to Mongoose we
            can do that. However without an email from them giving us permision we
            cannot distribute it or host it.

            Beaver
            PCGen BoD - Chair/PL

            ________________________________

            > Person1: Gosh I could really use a hitman.
            > Person2: Hey, I know this friend of mine, let me introduce you...
            > Doesn't really hold up as a defense in court, usually. ;-)
            > just thinking out loud, though, not (at all) comparing "copyright
            > infraction" to "hiring a hitman" on the badness scale... ;-)

            I am sitting here wondering what I should say ... it seam that I have
            been
            hung drawn and quatered, and it is not even the 5th of November yet.

            Basically I did ask permission before I started. And Mongoose said yes
            but
            they did not want them distrubuted in PCgen. But they did say that B5
            players can use them via the B5 emaillist on Yahoo Groups. I did not ask

            about the WB stuff as Mongoose did not want them distrubuted directly
            but
            in a fan way. That was one year ago, things change, lets see what they
            say now.

            So if you want a copy join the B5 maillist and ask me there.

            Dave

            NB - I think that this group has become very uptight about copyright,
            almost like a child that has been beaten to often, it flinches before
            being
            hit. IANAL, there is such a thing as "fair use", use of data to create a

            character is fair use from a RPG. If the licence from WB to Mongoose
            excludes use of their IP in computers games then I could see there been
            conflict but other wise I can't see why they would object, but it is
            always
            nice to ask.

            PCGen's FAQ:
            http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293pelit/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099391582/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i1ci4ho/*htt
            p://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10993051823
            97565>
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293pelit/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099391582/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i1ci4ho/*htt
            p://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10993051823
            97565>

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

            <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099
            305182397565>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2343726/rand=177920452>

          • Michael R. Beaver
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
              Who refered to you as "the guy"?

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                jthompson sez...

                'I do know of someone that has written a lst file for Babylon 5, as I have a
                copy for my home games (been testing it for him). I can contact him and see if
                I can give out his email address if you contact me in private.'

                In general it is considered smarter to offer such illegal help out of the
                earshot (or eyeshot as the case may be) of a large group of witnesses and/or
                where a standing record is kept.

                NotMousse
                TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

                what's the point?

              • David Finch
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                  Michael R. Beaver wrote:
                  > Who refered to you as "the guy"?

                  Well I don't know may be Jonathan got a copy of B5 LST files from you, I
                  kind of assume I had made them, but my memory can be flawed ;)

                  Dave

                • David Finch
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                    Michael R. Beaver wrote:
                    > OK all. So here is the thing. Yes we are twitchy about distributing
                    > copyrighted material.

                    And it is resnoble to me, just why does it have to become an inquisition
                    everytime some on mension it?

                    > I have been talking with Mongoose about this
                    > since GAMA. They are interested and pursuing this with WB to see if
                    > they will let us produce/distribute. I usually do not post information
                    > like this until I have a more solid answer beyond "I am talkign to the
                    > them about it." Part of the issue is that the publishers needed to be
                    > fully educated on who PCGen is and what exactly we do. Once the
                    > understanding of Open SOurce and how it relates to their PI was
                    > understood it became alot easier to get permissions for book/sources.
                    > One of the biggest challenges is getting people to code sources that
                    > publishers want to see.

                    As expected, B5 is well supported having LST files would help them sell
                    more books.

                    > Now the twitch is distribution. We CANNOT publically distribute files
                    > via the site or the zip files that we do not have perms for. So if
                    > people would like to make a set for B5 that I can show to Mongoose we
                    > can do that. However without an email from them giving us permision we
                    > cannot distribute it or host it.

                    And this is why I have not up to this point even mension it here, I think I
                    asked for help in the LSThelp files using 'codes' as is the normal way.
                    Even on the B5 list it is not avaiable to the public to download, only to
                    people that directly ask, which is kind of what MP asked me to do (BTW it
                    was over a year ago so I doubt that anyone would now remeber there).

                    I have been a bit busy on the personal life front so have not been working
                    very hard on the B5 LST files, if this got offical permission from MP you
                    can assume that our work will become avaiable and I would help out.

                    Dave

                  • Michael R. Beaver
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                      Heh. I meant the Nov. 5th reference.

                      Well I don't know may be Jonathan got a copy of B5 LST files from you, I
                      kind of assume I had made them, but my memory can be flawed ;)

                      Dave

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM
                    • David Finch
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                        Michael R. Beaver wrote:
                        > Heh. I meant the Nov. 5th reference.

                        Oh IC, silly me :)

                        BTW as it is traditionally on the Usenet to upset everyone with provincial
                        celebrations; "Have a Happy and Safe Bonfire Day" this weekend ;)

                        /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

                      • Jonathan M. Thompson
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                          What happens 5 November?

                          Jonathan M. Thompson
                          President, Battlefield Press, Inc. (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
                          jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
                          Luftwaffe 1946 Role Playing Game - Available now at RPGNow.com; Eric
                          Flint's 1632 Resource Guide and Role Playing Game - Available November
                          30, 2004

                          /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

                          ---
                        • Michael R. Beaver
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                            Guy Faulks day

                            Playing Game - Available now at RPGNow.com; Eric Flint's 1632 Resource
                            Guide and Role Playing Game - Available November 30, 2004

                            /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

                            ---

                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM
                          • Lizard
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                              On 08:57 PM 11/1/2004, Nigel Bennington said....

                              >You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
                              >rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
                              >distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
                              >American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

                              Two words: Berne Convention.

                              A whole lot more words: Even if use is legal elsewhere, international law
                              allows for cases to be brought where it is NOT, so, if Mongoose wanted to
                              sue, they could do so in the UK or in the US, wherever it was more viable
                              for them.
                            • Nigel Bennington

                                > Person1: Gosh I could really use a hitman.
                                > Person2: Hey, I know this friend of mine, let me introduce you...
                                > Doesn't really hold up as a defense in court, usually. ;-)
                                > just thinking out loud, though, not (at all) comparing "copyright
                                > infraction" to "hiring a hitman" on the badness scale... ;-)

                                I am sitting here wondering what I should say ... it seam that I have been
                                hung drawn and quatered, and it is not even the 5th of November yet.

                                Basically I did ask permission before I started. And Mongoose said yes but
                                they did not want them distrubuted in PCgen. But they did say that B5
                                players can use them via the B5 emaillist on Yahoo Groups. I did not ask
                                about the WB stuff as Mongoose did not want them distrubuted directly but
                                in a fan way. That was one year ago, things change, lets see what they say
                                now.

                                So if you want a copy join the B5 maillist and ask me there.

                                Dave

                                NB - I think that this group has become very uptight about copyright,
                                almost like a child that has been beaten to often, it flinches before being
                                hit. IANAL, there is such a thing as "fair use", use of data to create a
                                character is fair use from a RPG. If the licence from WB to Mongoose
                                excludes use of their IP in computers games then I could see there been a
                                conflict but other wise I can't see why they would object, but it is always
                                nice to ask.

                                PCGen's FAQ:
                                http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • David Finch
                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                  Michael R. Beaver wrote:
                                  > Guy Faulks day
                                  >> Jonathan M. Thompson [mailto:jthompson@...] wrote:
                                  >> What happens 5 November?
                                  >>> David Finch [mailto:david.finch@...] wrote:
                                  >>> /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

                                  "In 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group of conspirators attempted to blow up the
                                  Houses of Parliament (*1). Before they were able to carry out their plan
                                  they were caught, tortured and executed. Every year since then we have
                                  traditionally celebrated his failure by letting off fireworks and burning
                                  an effigy of 'Guy'"

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

                                  It is now just an excuse now for an outside party with Fireworks and a
                                  large bonfire ;)

                                  (*1) Note that this was at the State Opening; hence they would have killed
                                  the Executive, Legistive, Judicial and Military 'Branches' of the English
                                  Government. Their intension was to destroy the top of the English political
                                  structure to allow a Catholic take over. It failed, some think that it was
                                  in fact a setup to catch the insurgents.

                                • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                    Thanks for the history lesson, David. This Texan hasn't done near enough study on english government... I normally stop paying attention just after Henry VIII. I go into the arts (the poets and Shakespeare) but not the politics until just before 1776 (and even then just enough to know the king's name was George), and really pay attention again just prior to 1900, with the european naval arms race, and foundation of characters involved in and formation events leading up to WW1.

                                    But that's just me. . .

                                    Tir Gwaith
                                    LST Chimp
                                  • Steven Gilroy
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                      This is also one of the roots of American Trick or Treat. Back in the
                                      olden days people used to ask for "a penny for the Guy". This was a
                                      monetary donation to help create the effigy of Guy that would be burned
                                      on Guy Fawkes Night. Back in the 1800's and 1900's the church even
                                      tried to combine Halloween with Guy Fawkes Night because they viewed
                                      Halloween as to Pagan. That is one of the reasons that people actually
                                      dress up for Guy Fawkes Night too.
                                      (I'm not british but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn
                                      Express....err...I mean....I saw a special on the History Channel Sunday
                                      evening)

                                      --

                                      Steven Gilroy
                                      PCGen OS Lemur

                                    • Michael R. Beaver
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                        Penny for the Guy?

                                        ________________________________

                                        >>> /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

                                        "In 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group of conspirators attempted to blow up
                                        the
                                        Houses of Parliament (*1). Before they were able to carry out their plan

                                        they were caught, tortured and executed. Every year since then we have
                                        traditionally celebrated his failure by letting off fireworks and
                                        burning
                                        an effigy of 'Guy'"

                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

                                        It is now just an excuse now for an outside party with Fireworks and a
                                        large bonfire ;)

                                        (*1) Note that this was at the State Opening; hence they would have
                                        killed
                                        the Executive, Legistive, Judicial and Military 'Branches' of the
                                        English
                                        Government. Their intension was to destroy the top of the English
                                        political
                                        structure to allow a Catholic take over. It failed, some think that it
                                        was
                                        in fact a setup to catch the insurgents.

                                        PCGen's FAQ:
                                        http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                        click here
                                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295bvcd7/M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/
                                        D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099483017/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*htt
                                        ps://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21
                                        004SS>

                                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/D=group
                                        s/S=:HM/A=2372354/rand=428850881>

                                      • Mike Mitchell
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                          On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:13:10 -0800, Michael R. Beaver
                                          <michael@...> wrote:

                                          > Penny for the Guy?

                                          Children make a mannequin figure, trundle it about, begging small
                                          change off people, then go and buy small explosives to play with.
                                          Originally innocent fun, until the little gits started hurting
                                          themselves with the fireworks, or putting them through people's doors
                                          etc.

                                          The "Guy" would be burnt on a bonfire during the fireworks - to
                                          recreate the execution of the "heretic" Guy Fawkes after his failed
                                          attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

                                          --
                                          "Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The
                                          sleeper must awaken."
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                            It is also a concept required for software under Russian law.

                                            _____

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                              Nigel Bennington wrote:
                                              > You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
                                              > rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
                                              > distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
                                              > American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

                                              http://www.cerebalaw.com/berne.htm
                                              *The Berne Convention on Literary and Artistic Works*
                                              /Artical 10/

                                              "(1) It shall be permissible to make quotations from a work which has
                                              already been lawfully made available to the public, provided that their
                                              making is compatible with /fair practice/, and their extent does not exceed
                                              that justified by the purpose, including quotations from newspaper articles
                                              and periodicals in the form of press summaries."

                                              "Fair Use" (US) = "Fair Practice", the definitions of what is "Fair
                                              Practice" change from county to county but not the concept itself. This
                                              concept has been stretch in many places to include for example 'time
                                              shifted' copies of broadcasted copyright information.

                                              United States = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
                                              The Commonwealth = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

                                              I agree that I was not being specific enough when I used "Fair Use" and had
                                              assumed that this was the generic term.

                                              Dave

                                            • Michael R. Beaver
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                                OK all. This thread is DONE. If you want to discuss it further take
                                                it over to: "ogf-d20-l-bounces@..." This is a
                                                mailing list for pcgen.....

                                                Beaver
                                                PCGen BoD - Chair/PL