Re: [pcgen] [5.7.8][RSRD/SRD ][Trackered] BONUS:SLOTS tag no longer working

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2004
      taluroniscandar scribed:

      >> Illegal equipment info file:/C:/Program
      >> Files/PCGen/data/d20ogl/srd35/rsrd_equip_wondrousitems.lst:734
      >> "BONUS:SLOTS|RING|1"
      >
      > This tag used to work and is need for the Hand of Glory among other
      > things. Path of Magic, Oath Bound, rsrd epic, age of legends and
      > faries also use this tag.

      Trackered:
      [ 1057940 ] [5.7.8] BONUS:SLOTS not working
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 31, 2004
        Hi Joe,

        Quoting Joe Medica <cellowyn2@...>:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Just started using 578, and I must say, I was very impressed - until I
        > tried to use it to create a character.
        >
        > It seems that any time I cause a window to pop-up or change a drop down on
        > screen, on ANY tab, the machine goes into a 2-5 minute loop while PCGen
        > thinks over my request. For example, if I wanted to assign 2 skill ranks
        > by right clicking and choosing "Add 2", it went into a loop. However, if
        > I used the "add" button to Add 2 ranks manually, it was fine.

        I am not sure if this will apply, but as a quick fix, turn off the auto-generate
        equipment options in preferences and restart PCGen. This has been reported as
        giving a very large speed boost. Equipment handling is one area Devon has in his
        sights for optomisation once we get to the betas.

        Cheers,
        James Dempsey
        jdempsey@...
        PCGen Code Monkey.
      • Joe Medica
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
          Thanks James, I'll try this at home tonight, since I am sure I have these
          set. I've always used this, but never noticed any issues in previous
          versions. Also, I thought that once tehy were created, they wouldn't have
          to be created everytime something was done.

          Thanks.

          Joe

          --- James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:

          > Hi Joe,
          >
          > Quoting Joe Medica <cellowyn2@...>:
          >

          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > Just started using 578, and I must say, I was very impressed - until I
          > > tried to use it to create a character.
          > >
          > > It seems that any time I cause a window to pop-up or change a drop
          > down on
          > > screen, on ANY tab, the machine goes into a 2-5 minute loop while
          > PCGen
          > > thinks over my request. For example, if I wanted to assign 2 skill
          > ranks
          > > by right clicking and choosing "Add 2", it went into a loop. However,
          > if
          > > I used the "add" button to Add 2 ranks manually, it was fine.
          >
          > I am not sure if this will apply, but as a quick fix, turn off the
          > auto-generate
          > equipment options in preferences and restart PCGen. This has been
          > reported as
          > giving a very large speed boost. Equipment handling is one area Devon
          > has in his
          > sights for optomisation once we get to the betas.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > James Dempsey
          > jdempsey@...
          > PCGen Code Monkey.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Joe Medica
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
            Paul,

            Here is what I can remember, though it seems to happen any time I open ANY
            drop down window at all, on any screen. I will have to check to be sure
            on Java, but I have one release off current, so 1.3.something.

            GAME MODE: 3.5

            DATASETS:
            RSRD and optional PHB from Green Ronin (I think), its the other set
            available on 3.5 besides the Dawnforge stuff (which is not selected)

            STEPS:
            Creating a Human Ranger, 2nd Level:
            1. Assiging stats - OK
            2. Assigning race: choosing from the drop down had a delay
            3. Assigning alignment: Drop down had a 30-60 second delay before it would
            populate
            4. Assigning class: as alignment if using the drop downs, but direct
            selection in the class screen by scrolling through was fine (I tried it
            both ways)
            5. Assigning Feats:
            Automatic Feats: These behanved as the drop down menus from #3 above,
            but with a 60-90 second delay on EVERY use.
            Choosing Feats: This was fine, a slight delay, maybe 5-10 seconds
            6. Assigning Skills: Experience here was similar to #4. If I used the
            right clikc options to assign multiple ranks at once, the operation took
            upwards of 120 seconds or more. If I used the "add" button shaped like
            ">", then it worked fine, 5 seconds delay max.
            7. Inventory
            Buying: Buying worked OK mostly. The only issue I had was when I
            opened the drop down for "Sell Percentage" to set the value to 100 from
            the default 50. Everything was else was OK, as far as I used it. I was
            becoming wary of the drop downs at this point.
            Equipping: Like Buying, Equipping was OK until I had to actually assign
            a location to something that required one. For example, adding items to a
            container was fine (ie torches to a backpack), but adding a Container
            caused the Location popup to present itself, and caused a delay (ie.
            equipping the Backpack to the character caused a 5 minute delay). Again,
            after the second item (pouch belt), I stopped doing this.

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
              Thanks James,

              This seems to have helped quite a bit. It cut the wait times pretty much
              in half, or better.

              I look forward to the real solution once the election is over...

              Joe

              --- James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:

              > Hi Joe,
              >
              > Quoting Joe Medica <cellowyn2@...>:
              >

              > > Hello all,
              > >
              > > Just started using 578, and I must say, I was very impressed - until I
              > > tried to use it to create a character.
              > >
              > > It seems that any time I cause a window to pop-up or change a drop
              > down on
              > > screen, on ANY tab, the machine goes into a 2-5 minute loop while
              > PCGen
              > > thinks over my request. For example, if I wanted to assign 2 skill
              > ranks
              > > by right clicking and choosing "Add 2", it went into a loop. However,
              > if
              > > I used the "add" button to Add 2 ranks manually, it was fine.
              >
              > I am not sure if this will apply, but as a quick fix, turn off the
              > auto-generate
              > equipment options in preferences and restart PCGen. This has been
              > reported as
              > giving a very large speed boost. Equipment handling is one area Devon
              > has in his
              > sights for optomisation once we get to the betas.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James Dempsey
              > jdempsey@...
              > PCGen Code Monkey.

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 2, 2004
                > I will have to check to be sure on Java, but I have one release
                > off current, so 1.3.something.

                Well, since 1.5 is now out (PCGen isn't ready to support it yet),
                could you move to 1.4.2? I recall there being issue with PCGen and
                1.3 that were corrected in 1.4. I know, for GMGen reasons, that 1.4
                was required, but I'm not sure if the recent versions of PCGen
                require 1.4 as well.

                > RSRD and optional PHB from Green Ronin (I think), its the other set
                > available on 3.5 besides the Dawnforge stuff (which is not
                > selected)

                Sounds like Mongoose's Pocket Player's Handbook. This set duplicates
                a lot of things in the RSRD. Try not loading it and see what happens.

                > STEPS:
                > Creating a Human Ranger, 2nd Level:
                > 1. Assiging stats - OK
                > 2. Assigning race: choosing from the drop down had a delay

                How did you assign a race before alignment? The race drop down was
                dithered out and I couldn't select until after alignment was chosen.

                > 3. Assigning alignment: Drop down had a 30-60 second delay before
                > it would populate

                Hmm...no delay in either of the 2 above.

                > 4. Assigning class: as alignment if using the drop downs, but
                > direct selection in the class screen by scrolling through was fine
                > (I tried it both ways)

                Well, I've never tried the drop down from the first tab, so just
                did. I did experience some delay in pop-up population.

                > 5. Assigning Feats:
                > Automatic Feats: These behanved as the drop down menus from #3
                > above, but with a 60-90 second delay on EVERY use.

                As above, but definitely not that long

                > Choosing Feats: This was fine, a slight delay, maybe 5-10 seconds

                I experienced no delay

                > 6. Assigning Skills: Experience here was similar to #4. If I used
                > the right clikc options to assign multiple ranks at once, the
                > operation took upwards of 120 seconds or more. If I used
                > the "add" button shaped like ">", then it worked fine, 5 seconds
                > delay max.

                Once again, I experienced no delay.

                > 7. Inventory
                > Buying: Buying worked OK mostly. The only issue I had was when I
                > opened the drop down for "Sell Percentage" to set the value to 100
                > from the default 50. Everything was else was OK, as far as I used
                > it. I was becoming wary of the drop downs at this point.
                > Equipping: Like Buying, Equipping was OK until I had to actually
                > assign a location to something that required one. For example,
                > adding items to a container was fine (ie torches to a backpack),
                > but adding a Container caused the Location popup to present
                > itself, and caused a delay (ie. equipping the Backpack to the
                > character caused a 5 minute delay). Again, after the second item
                > (pouch belt), I stopped doing this.

                I know you said that you saw less of a delay when not having the
                auto-equipment generation on. So, seeing that I had mine off, I
                turned it on to see what would happen. Wow!, what a difference.

                15s to just bring up a new character
                2s to choose alignment
                3s to choose race
                2s to just pick ranger from front tab
                22s to get the 1st pop-up
                52s to get the clothign pop-up

                I stopped after that.

                In case you're curious, here are my systems's stats

                WinXP Home SP2, 2.1 GHz, 512 MB RAM, java 1.4.2_05-b04

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Sorry Paul, I was writing this as I was sitting here at work, not in front
                  of the PC I use for this stuff, so some of my steps might be slightly out
                  of order.

                  I will remove the Mongoose source, though that seems to be an issue to me.
                  Perhaps a warning is needed in the description that says it duplicates
                  the RSRD?

                  Again, I was busy last night, so I'll check the Java version when I get
                  home. I had thought the most current was 1.4, so I could have been off
                  one number.

                  I will attempt to re-create my character tonight and walk through
                  everything.

                  Thanks.

                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 8, 2004
                    Getting back to this now:

                    Removing the Mongoose source did help performance. I have updated to the
                    most recent 1.4 version of Java, and everything seems to be running better
                    in general.

                    However, I am still having issues with characters that have a high level.
                    I am trying to create a Half-Fiend/Minotaur Cleric (2nd Level) of Asmodeus
                    (from the Book of the Righteous). I have created the following:
                    1. Chose Lawful Evil
                    2. Set stats
                    3. Chose Race Minotaur
                    4. Walked throught he application of the Monster levels and HP that are
                    popped by the system.
                    5. Added the Half-Fiend template
                    6. Added Cleric Levels (2)
                    6a. Added Feats
                    6b. Added Skills
                    7. Opened LST Editor and added Asmodeus as defined in the BOTR (pretty
                    standard stuff)
                    8. Chose Diety and Domains
                    9. Set starting cash
                    10. Assigned "free" equipment that was part of treasure to creature
                    11. Purchased additional equipment/stuff with 900 gp assigned
                    12. Equipped some of the items, and then the system froze.

                    Saves were made after each step and often within.

                    I know that I need more memory on my PC, but it seems that the JAVAW.EXE
                    is taking up 90-100 MB of available memory and is generating page files in
                    excess of 540 MB.

                    Any suggestions? This is the "big bad guy" for a game Saturday, and I
                    would like to have him available without doing all the work by hand...

                    Joe Medica

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 13, 2004
                      Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...was out of town. Is your issue
                      still speed? Where do you find the speed issue in particular...or is
                      everywhere in general? From your step-by-step layout, it appears, to me,
                      that you were able to create your character.

                      Paul W. King
                      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
                    • Thomas Clegg
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 13, 2004
                        Hi all!

                        Installing just the latest autobuild (11-08), there's a problem with having
                        the Options.ini and Filter.ini in a different directory other than the PCGen
                        root directory. You can't do it.

                        I had no options.ini or the filter.ini or filepaths.ini in the root pcgen
                        directory after I installed the autobuild. The window popped up asking if I
                        wanted to save it in the PCGen root, the disk root, or specify a directory.
                        I specified my PCGen Inifiles directory. It took it, I made all the changes
                        to the preferences that I wanted, then closed it. Ta-da! It saved in the
                        Inifiles directory.

                        I opened PCGen once again, and it loaded the files properly, kept the
                        settings, etc. However, once I closed PCGen, it saved the Option, filter,
                        and filepath files back out to the PCGen root directory. It seems to change
                        the filepaths.ini file each time it opens.

                        This is a bug that can be worked with, but really should be straightened out
                        sice it seems to have been around since 5.4.....

                        Tom
                        Data/Code Su-Monster :)
                      • Joe Medica
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 16, 2004
                          Paul,

                          With some changes, as suggested by others on the list, I was able to get past the character equipping stage. However, I cannot get the character to export to ANY format. So, I have a great evil character, but I have no way to use him. I cannot export him, and frankly I am becoming frustrated with this application. I spend a few days building this character, a week trying to assign equipment and then two more trying to export it. Performance was the main issue. I get the feeling that I need to delete the character and try again... I don't think I'm alone here, based on some of the other messages. What is the hardware requirement assocaited with the latest Beta and upcoming Production release? I would like to know what the minimum requirements are as well as the recommended configuration for the application. It doesn't seem that my P3, 933, 256 MB, 30GB HD PC is pulling its weight.

                          Thanks,
                          Joe Medica

                          "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:
                          Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...was out of town. Is your issue
                          still speed? Where do you find the speed issue in particular...or is
                          everywhere in general? From your step-by-step layout, it appears, to me,
                          that you were able to create your character.

                          Paul W. King
                          TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD

                          PCGen's FAQ:
                          http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Joe Medica

                          Yahoo: cellowyn2

                          AOL IM: JoeMedica1031

                          "Wherever you go, there you are...", Buckaroo Bonzai

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 16, 2004
                            Joe,
                            could you upload your pcg file? If you put it here:
                            we can use it as a test case for our performance work. We can also
                            figure out why the export isn't happening properly. We run quite a
                            few tests with every build of PCGen that includes exporting characters
                            - so the fact that yours isn't working means that you're doing
                            something none of our tests do. It may be a specific item or feat
                            that your character has. Sorry about the frustration - I'd be
                            frustrated if my character wouldn't export properly!

                            -Bryan

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Joe Medica <cellowyn2@y...> wrote:
                            > Paul,
                            >
                            > With some changes, as suggested by others on the list, I was able to
                            get past the character equipping stage. However, I cannot get the
                            character to export to ANY format. So, I have a great evil character,
                            but I have no way to use him. I cannot export him, and frankly I am
                            becoming frustrated with this application. I spend a few days
                            building this character, a week trying to assign equipment and then
                            two more trying to export it. Performance was the main issue. I get
                            the feeling that I need to delete the character and try again... I
                            don't think I'm alone here, based on some of the other messages. What
                            is the hardware requirement assocaited with the latest Beta and
                            upcoming Production release? I would like to know what the minimum
                            requirements are as well as the recommended configuration for the
                            application. It doesn't seem that my P3, 933, 256 MB, 30GB HD PC is
                            pulling its weight.

                            > Thanks,
                            > Joe Medica
                          • youwhooooooo
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 27, 2006
                              I've had the same problem! I set all my settings exactly as I wanted them, and bam! they
                              never stay put. All my settings are back to the way they were prior to my changes.

                              Please help!

                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:

                              > Hi all!
                              >
                              > Installing just the latest autobuild (11-08), there's a problem with having
                              > the Options.ini and Filter.ini in a different directory other than the PCGen
                              > root directory. You can't do it.
                              >
                              > I had no options.ini or the filter.ini or filepaths.ini in the root pcgen
                              > directory after I installed the autobuild. The window popped up asking if I
                              > wanted to save it in the PCGen root, the disk root, or specify a directory.
                              > I specified my PCGen Inifiles directory. It took it, I made all the changes
                              > to the preferences that I wanted, then closed it. Ta-da! It saved in the
                              > Inifiles directory.
                              >
                              > I opened PCGen once again, and it loaded the files properly, kept the
                              > settings, etc. However, once I closed PCGen, it saved the Option, filter,
                              > and filepath files back out to the PCGen root directory. It seems to change
                              > the filepaths.ini file each time it opens.
                              >
                              > This is a bug that can be worked with, but really should be straightened out
                              > sice it seems to have been around since 5.4.....
                              >
                              > Tom
                              > Data/Code Su-Monster :)

                            • James Dempsey
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 28, 2006

                                Wow, this context certainly has been dragged up from the past - November
                                2004!

                                To assist us in helping you, please let us know a bit more on what you
                                are using. What version of pcgen are you running? What operating system
                                are you using? What version of Java are you using? What directory are
                                you trying to store your settings to, and do you have write privileges
                                to that directory and any existing filepaths.ini and options.ini files
                                in that directory? How are you exiting PCGen when you have finished
                                changing the settings?

                                Sorry about the raft of questions, but it all helps to get an idea of
                                what is going on and possible solutions.

                                Cheers,
                                James Dempsey
                                PCGen Code Gibbon

                                On 28/06/2006 1:07 PM youwhooooooo wrote
                                > I've had the same problem! I set all my settings exactly as I wanted them, and bam! they
                                > never stay put. All my settings are back to the way they were prior to my changes.
                                >
                                > Please help!
                                >
                                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Hi all!
                                >>
                                >> Installing just the latest autobuild (11-08), there's a problem with having
                                >> the Options.ini and Filter.ini in a different directory other than the PCGen
                                >> root directory. You can't do it.
                                >>
                                >> I had no options.ini or the filter.ini or filepaths.ini in the root pcgen
                                >> directory after I installed the autobuild. The window popped up asking if I
                                >> wanted to save it in the PCGen root, the disk root, or specify a directory.
                                >> I specified my PCGen Inifiles directory. It took it, I made all the changes
                                >> to the preferences that I wanted, then closed it. Ta-da! It saved in the
                                >> Inifiles directory.
                                >>
                                >> I opened PCGen once again, and it loaded the files properly, kept the
                                >> settings, etc. However, once I closed PCGen, it saved the Option, filter,
                                >> and filepath files back out to the PCGen root directory. It seems to change
                                >> the filepaths.ini file each time it opens.
                                >>
                                >> This is a bug that can be worked with, but really should be straightened out
                                >> sice it seems to have been around since 5.4.....
                                >>
                                >> Tom
                                >> Data/Code Su-Monster :)

                              • Timothy
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 9, 2006
                                  Sorry for the long delay. I have been away from my computer due to
                                  health issues.

                                  Ok to answer your raft of questions...

                                  > What version of pcgen are you running?

                                  5,8,1

                                  > What operating system are you using?

                                  Mac OS X 10.4.7

                                  > What version of Java are you using?

                                  Oh boy. Apple's updated all of it:
                                  Java Browser 2.2
                                  JDK 1.4.2
                                  J2SE 5.0 Release 3

                                  > What directory are you trying to store your settings to?

                                  They are saved inside of the Apple Shared folder (it is the folder
                                  that any user has read/write access to)
                                  Owner: System
                                  Access: read/write
                                  Group: Wheel
                                  Access: read/write
                                  Others: read/write

                                  I think it is important to know that I am using Apple's Security
                                  option for my hard drive. this makes a virtual drive of my user
                                  folder from which I run all my private data.

                                  > and do you have write privileges to that directory and any existing
                                  > filepaths.ini and options.ini files in that directory?

                                  See above privileges.

                                  > How are you exiting PCGen when you have finished changing the
                                  > settings?

                                  I am always selecting OK.