Re: [pcgen] [5.7.8][RSRD/SRD ][Trackered] BONUS:SLOTS tag no longer working

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2004
      taluroniscandar scribed:

      >> Illegal equipment info file:/C:/Program
      >> Files/PCGen/data/d20ogl/srd35/rsrd_equip_wondrousitems.lst:734
      >> "BONUS:SLOTS|RING|1"
      >
      > This tag used to work and is need for the Hand of Glory among other
      > things. Path of Magic, Oath Bound, rsrd epic, age of legends and
      > faries also use this tag.

      Trackered:
      [ 1057940 ] [5.7.8] BONUS:SLOTS not working
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 31, 2004
        Could you give a step-by-step of what you do to get this problem (game mode
        used, dataset(s) loaded, race picked, etc)? This will help folks try and
        trouble-shoot your problem. Also, what version of java do you have on your
        machine (type 'java -version' at the command prompt).

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 31, 2004
          Hi Joe,

          Quoting Joe Medica <cellowyn2@...>:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > Just started using 578, and I must say, I was very impressed - until I
          > tried to use it to create a character.
          >
          > It seems that any time I cause a window to pop-up or change a drop down on
          > screen, on ANY tab, the machine goes into a 2-5 minute loop while PCGen
          > thinks over my request. For example, if I wanted to assign 2 skill ranks
          > by right clicking and choosing "Add 2", it went into a loop. However, if
          > I used the "add" button to Add 2 ranks manually, it was fine.

          I am not sure if this will apply, but as a quick fix, turn off the auto-generate
          equipment options in preferences and restart PCGen. This has been reported as
          giving a very large speed boost. Equipment handling is one area Devon has in his
          sights for optomisation once we get to the betas.

          Cheers,
          James Dempsey
          jdempsey@...
          PCGen Code Monkey.
        • Joe Medica
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
            Thanks James, I'll try this at home tonight, since I am sure I have these
            set. I've always used this, but never noticed any issues in previous
            versions. Also, I thought that once tehy were created, they wouldn't have
            to be created everytime something was done.

            Thanks.

            Joe

            --- James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:

            > Hi Joe,
            >
            > Quoting Joe Medica <cellowyn2@...>:
            >

            > > Hello all,
            > >
            > > Just started using 578, and I must say, I was very impressed - until I
            > > tried to use it to create a character.
            > >
            > > It seems that any time I cause a window to pop-up or change a drop
            > down on
            > > screen, on ANY tab, the machine goes into a 2-5 minute loop while
            > PCGen
            > > thinks over my request. For example, if I wanted to assign 2 skill
            > ranks
            > > by right clicking and choosing "Add 2", it went into a loop. However,
            > if
            > > I used the "add" button to Add 2 ranks manually, it was fine.
            >
            > I am not sure if this will apply, but as a quick fix, turn off the
            > auto-generate
            > equipment options in preferences and restart PCGen. This has been
            > reported as
            > giving a very large speed boost. Equipment handling is one area Devon
            > has in his
            > sights for optomisation once we get to the betas.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > James Dempsey
            > jdempsey@...
            > PCGen Code Monkey.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Joe Medica
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
              Paul,

              Here is what I can remember, though it seems to happen any time I open ANY
              drop down window at all, on any screen. I will have to check to be sure
              on Java, but I have one release off current, so 1.3.something.

              GAME MODE: 3.5

              DATASETS:
              RSRD and optional PHB from Green Ronin (I think), its the other set
              available on 3.5 besides the Dawnforge stuff (which is not selected)

              STEPS:
              Creating a Human Ranger, 2nd Level:
              1. Assiging stats - OK
              2. Assigning race: choosing from the drop down had a delay
              3. Assigning alignment: Drop down had a 30-60 second delay before it would
              populate
              4. Assigning class: as alignment if using the drop downs, but direct
              selection in the class screen by scrolling through was fine (I tried it
              both ways)
              5. Assigning Feats:
              Automatic Feats: These behanved as the drop down menus from #3 above,
              but with a 60-90 second delay on EVERY use.
              Choosing Feats: This was fine, a slight delay, maybe 5-10 seconds
              6. Assigning Skills: Experience here was similar to #4. If I used the
              right clikc options to assign multiple ranks at once, the operation took
              upwards of 120 seconds or more. If I used the "add" button shaped like
              ">", then it worked fine, 5 seconds delay max.
              7. Inventory
              Buying: Buying worked OK mostly. The only issue I had was when I
              opened the drop down for "Sell Percentage" to set the value to 100 from
              the default 50. Everything was else was OK, as far as I used it. I was
              becoming wary of the drop downs at this point.
              Equipping: Like Buying, Equipping was OK until I had to actually assign
              a location to something that required one. For example, adding items to a
              container was fine (ie torches to a backpack), but adding a Container
              caused the Location popup to present itself, and caused a delay (ie.
              equipping the Backpack to the character caused a 5 minute delay). Again,
              after the second item (pouch belt), I stopped doing this.

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
                Thanks James,

                This seems to have helped quite a bit. It cut the wait times pretty much
                in half, or better.

                I look forward to the real solution once the election is over...

                Joe

                --- James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:

                > Hi Joe,
                >
                > Quoting Joe Medica <cellowyn2@...>:
                >

                > > Hello all,
                > >
                > > Just started using 578, and I must say, I was very impressed - until I
                > > tried to use it to create a character.
                > >
                > > It seems that any time I cause a window to pop-up or change a drop
                > down on
                > > screen, on ANY tab, the machine goes into a 2-5 minute loop while
                > PCGen
                > > thinks over my request. For example, if I wanted to assign 2 skill
                > ranks
                > > by right clicking and choosing "Add 2", it went into a loop. However,
                > if
                > > I used the "add" button to Add 2 ranks manually, it was fine.
                >
                > I am not sure if this will apply, but as a quick fix, turn off the
                > auto-generate
                > equipment options in preferences and restart PCGen. This has been
                > reported as
                > giving a very large speed boost. Equipment handling is one area Devon
                > has in his
                > sights for optomisation once we get to the betas.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > James Dempsey
                > jdempsey@...
                > PCGen Code Monkey.

                Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                www.yahoo.com
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2004
                  > I will have to check to be sure on Java, but I have one release
                  > off current, so 1.3.something.

                  Well, since 1.5 is now out (PCGen isn't ready to support it yet),
                  could you move to 1.4.2? I recall there being issue with PCGen and
                  1.3 that were corrected in 1.4. I know, for GMGen reasons, that 1.4
                  was required, but I'm not sure if the recent versions of PCGen
                  require 1.4 as well.

                  > RSRD and optional PHB from Green Ronin (I think), its the other set
                  > available on 3.5 besides the Dawnforge stuff (which is not
                  > selected)

                  Sounds like Mongoose's Pocket Player's Handbook. This set duplicates
                  a lot of things in the RSRD. Try not loading it and see what happens.

                  > STEPS:
                  > Creating a Human Ranger, 2nd Level:
                  > 1. Assiging stats - OK
                  > 2. Assigning race: choosing from the drop down had a delay

                  How did you assign a race before alignment? The race drop down was
                  dithered out and I couldn't select until after alignment was chosen.

                  > 3. Assigning alignment: Drop down had a 30-60 second delay before
                  > it would populate

                  Hmm...no delay in either of the 2 above.

                  > 4. Assigning class: as alignment if using the drop downs, but
                  > direct selection in the class screen by scrolling through was fine
                  > (I tried it both ways)

                  Well, I've never tried the drop down from the first tab, so just
                  did. I did experience some delay in pop-up population.

                  > 5. Assigning Feats:
                  > Automatic Feats: These behanved as the drop down menus from #3
                  > above, but with a 60-90 second delay on EVERY use.

                  As above, but definitely not that long

                  > Choosing Feats: This was fine, a slight delay, maybe 5-10 seconds

                  I experienced no delay

                  > 6. Assigning Skills: Experience here was similar to #4. If I used
                  > the right clikc options to assign multiple ranks at once, the
                  > operation took upwards of 120 seconds or more. If I used
                  > the "add" button shaped like ">", then it worked fine, 5 seconds
                  > delay max.

                  Once again, I experienced no delay.

                  > 7. Inventory
                  > Buying: Buying worked OK mostly. The only issue I had was when I
                  > opened the drop down for "Sell Percentage" to set the value to 100
                  > from the default 50. Everything was else was OK, as far as I used
                  > it. I was becoming wary of the drop downs at this point.
                  > Equipping: Like Buying, Equipping was OK until I had to actually
                  > assign a location to something that required one. For example,
                  > adding items to a container was fine (ie torches to a backpack),
                  > but adding a Container caused the Location popup to present
                  > itself, and caused a delay (ie. equipping the Backpack to the
                  > character caused a 5 minute delay). Again, after the second item
                  > (pouch belt), I stopped doing this.

                  I know you said that you saw less of a delay when not having the
                  auto-equipment generation on. So, seeing that I had mine off, I
                  turned it on to see what would happen. Wow!, what a difference.

                  15s to just bring up a new character
                  2s to choose alignment
                  3s to choose race
                  2s to just pick ranger from front tab
                  22s to get the 1st pop-up
                  52s to get the clothign pop-up

                  I stopped after that.

                  In case you're curious, here are my systems's stats

                  WinXP Home SP2, 2.1 GHz, 512 MB RAM, java 1.4.2_05-b04

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 2, 2004
                    Sorry Paul, I was writing this as I was sitting here at work, not in front
                    of the PC I use for this stuff, so some of my steps might be slightly out
                    of order.

                    I will remove the Mongoose source, though that seems to be an issue to me.
                    Perhaps a warning is needed in the description that says it duplicates
                    the RSRD?

                    Again, I was busy last night, so I'll check the Java version when I get
                    home. I had thought the most current was 1.4, so I could have been off
                    one number.

                    I will attempt to re-create my character tonight and walk through
                    everything.

                    Thanks.

                    Joe

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 8, 2004
                      Getting back to this now:

                      Removing the Mongoose source did help performance. I have updated to the
                      most recent 1.4 version of Java, and everything seems to be running better
                      in general.

                      However, I am still having issues with characters that have a high level.
                      I am trying to create a Half-Fiend/Minotaur Cleric (2nd Level) of Asmodeus
                      (from the Book of the Righteous). I have created the following:
                      1. Chose Lawful Evil
                      2. Set stats
                      3. Chose Race Minotaur
                      4. Walked throught he application of the Monster levels and HP that are
                      popped by the system.
                      5. Added the Half-Fiend template
                      6. Added Cleric Levels (2)
                      6a. Added Feats
                      6b. Added Skills
                      7. Opened LST Editor and added Asmodeus as defined in the BOTR (pretty
                      standard stuff)
                      8. Chose Diety and Domains
                      9. Set starting cash
                      10. Assigned "free" equipment that was part of treasure to creature
                      11. Purchased additional equipment/stuff with 900 gp assigned
                      12. Equipped some of the items, and then the system froze.

                      Saves were made after each step and often within.

                      I know that I need more memory on my PC, but it seems that the JAVAW.EXE
                      is taking up 90-100 MB of available memory and is generating page files in
                      excess of 540 MB.

                      Any suggestions? This is the "big bad guy" for a game Saturday, and I
                      would like to have him available without doing all the work by hand...

                      Joe Medica

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 13, 2004
                        Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...was out of town. Is your issue
                        still speed? Where do you find the speed issue in particular...or is
                        everywhere in general? From your step-by-step layout, it appears, to me,
                        that you were able to create your character.

                        Paul W. King
                        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
                      • Thomas Clegg
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 13, 2004
                          Hi all!

                          Installing just the latest autobuild (11-08), there's a problem with having
                          the Options.ini and Filter.ini in a different directory other than the PCGen
                          root directory. You can't do it.

                          I had no options.ini or the filter.ini or filepaths.ini in the root pcgen
                          directory after I installed the autobuild. The window popped up asking if I
                          wanted to save it in the PCGen root, the disk root, or specify a directory.
                          I specified my PCGen Inifiles directory. It took it, I made all the changes
                          to the preferences that I wanted, then closed it. Ta-da! It saved in the
                          Inifiles directory.

                          I opened PCGen once again, and it loaded the files properly, kept the
                          settings, etc. However, once I closed PCGen, it saved the Option, filter,
                          and filepath files back out to the PCGen root directory. It seems to change
                          the filepaths.ini file each time it opens.

                          This is a bug that can be worked with, but really should be straightened out
                          sice it seems to have been around since 5.4.....

                          Tom
                          Data/Code Su-Monster :)
                        • Joe Medica
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 16, 2004
                            Paul,

                            With some changes, as suggested by others on the list, I was able to get past the character equipping stage. However, I cannot get the character to export to ANY format. So, I have a great evil character, but I have no way to use him. I cannot export him, and frankly I am becoming frustrated with this application. I spend a few days building this character, a week trying to assign equipment and then two more trying to export it. Performance was the main issue. I get the feeling that I need to delete the character and try again... I don't think I'm alone here, based on some of the other messages. What is the hardware requirement assocaited with the latest Beta and upcoming Production release? I would like to know what the minimum requirements are as well as the recommended configuration for the application. It doesn't seem that my P3, 933, 256 MB, 30GB HD PC is pulling its weight.

                            Thanks,
                            Joe Medica

                            "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:
                            Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...was out of town. Is your issue
                            still speed? Where do you find the speed issue in particular...or is
                            everywhere in general? From your step-by-step layout, it appears, to me,
                            that you were able to create your character.

                            Paul W. King
                            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD

                            PCGen's FAQ:
                            http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            Joe Medica

                            Yahoo: cellowyn2

                            AOL IM: JoeMedica1031

                            "Wherever you go, there you are...", Buckaroo Bonzai

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 16, 2004
                              Joe,
                              could you upload your pcg file? If you put it here:
                              we can use it as a test case for our performance work. We can also
                              figure out why the export isn't happening properly. We run quite a
                              few tests with every build of PCGen that includes exporting characters
                              - so the fact that yours isn't working means that you're doing
                              something none of our tests do. It may be a specific item or feat
                              that your character has. Sorry about the frustration - I'd be
                              frustrated if my character wouldn't export properly!

                              -Bryan

                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Joe Medica <cellowyn2@y...> wrote:
                              > Paul,
                              >
                              > With some changes, as suggested by others on the list, I was able to
                              get past the character equipping stage. However, I cannot get the
                              character to export to ANY format. So, I have a great evil character,
                              but I have no way to use him. I cannot export him, and frankly I am
                              becoming frustrated with this application. I spend a few days
                              building this character, a week trying to assign equipment and then
                              two more trying to export it. Performance was the main issue. I get
                              the feeling that I need to delete the character and try again... I
                              don't think I'm alone here, based on some of the other messages. What
                              is the hardware requirement assocaited with the latest Beta and
                              upcoming Production release? I would like to know what the minimum
                              requirements are as well as the recommended configuration for the
                              application. It doesn't seem that my P3, 933, 256 MB, 30GB HD PC is
                              pulling its weight.

                              > Thanks,
                              > Joe Medica
                            • youwhooooooo
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 27, 2006
                                I've had the same problem! I set all my settings exactly as I wanted them, and bam! they
                                never stay put. All my settings are back to the way they were prior to my changes.

                                Please help!

                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:

                                > Hi all!
                                >
                                > Installing just the latest autobuild (11-08), there's a problem with having
                                > the Options.ini and Filter.ini in a different directory other than the PCGen
                                > root directory. You can't do it.
                                >
                                > I had no options.ini or the filter.ini or filepaths.ini in the root pcgen
                                > directory after I installed the autobuild. The window popped up asking if I
                                > wanted to save it in the PCGen root, the disk root, or specify a directory.
                                > I specified my PCGen Inifiles directory. It took it, I made all the changes
                                > to the preferences that I wanted, then closed it. Ta-da! It saved in the
                                > Inifiles directory.
                                >
                                > I opened PCGen once again, and it loaded the files properly, kept the
                                > settings, etc. However, once I closed PCGen, it saved the Option, filter,
                                > and filepath files back out to the PCGen root directory. It seems to change
                                > the filepaths.ini file each time it opens.
                                >
                                > This is a bug that can be worked with, but really should be straightened out
                                > sice it seems to have been around since 5.4.....
                                >
                                > Tom
                                > Data/Code Su-Monster :)

                              • James Dempsey
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 28, 2006

                                  Wow, this context certainly has been dragged up from the past - November
                                  2004!

                                  To assist us in helping you, please let us know a bit more on what you
                                  are using. What version of pcgen are you running? What operating system
                                  are you using? What version of Java are you using? What directory are
                                  you trying to store your settings to, and do you have write privileges
                                  to that directory and any existing filepaths.ini and options.ini files
                                  in that directory? How are you exiting PCGen when you have finished
                                  changing the settings?

                                  Sorry about the raft of questions, but it all helps to get an idea of
                                  what is going on and possible solutions.

                                  Cheers,
                                  James Dempsey
                                  PCGen Code Gibbon

                                  On 28/06/2006 1:07 PM youwhooooooo wrote
                                  > I've had the same problem! I set all my settings exactly as I wanted them, and bam! they
                                  > never stay put. All my settings are back to the way they were prior to my changes.
                                  >
                                  > Please help!
                                  >
                                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Hi all!
                                  >>
                                  >> Installing just the latest autobuild (11-08), there's a problem with having
                                  >> the Options.ini and Filter.ini in a different directory other than the PCGen
                                  >> root directory. You can't do it.
                                  >>
                                  >> I had no options.ini or the filter.ini or filepaths.ini in the root pcgen
                                  >> directory after I installed the autobuild. The window popped up asking if I
                                  >> wanted to save it in the PCGen root, the disk root, or specify a directory.
                                  >> I specified my PCGen Inifiles directory. It took it, I made all the changes
                                  >> to the preferences that I wanted, then closed it. Ta-da! It saved in the
                                  >> Inifiles directory.
                                  >>
                                  >> I opened PCGen once again, and it loaded the files properly, kept the
                                  >> settings, etc. However, once I closed PCGen, it saved the Option, filter,
                                  >> and filepath files back out to the PCGen root directory. It seems to change
                                  >> the filepaths.ini file each time it opens.
                                  >>
                                  >> This is a bug that can be worked with, but really should be straightened out
                                  >> sice it seems to have been around since 5.4.....
                                  >>
                                  >> Tom
                                  >> Data/Code Su-Monster :)

                                • Timothy
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 9 8:34 AM
                                    Sorry for the long delay. I have been away from my computer due to
                                    health issues.

                                    Ok to answer your raft of questions...

                                    > What version of pcgen are you running?

                                    5,8,1

                                    > What operating system are you using?

                                    Mac OS X 10.4.7

                                    > What version of Java are you using?

                                    Oh boy. Apple's updated all of it:
                                    Java Browser 2.2
                                    JDK 1.4.2
                                    J2SE 5.0 Release 3

                                    > What directory are you trying to store your settings to?

                                    They are saved inside of the Apple Shared folder (it is the folder
                                    that any user has read/write access to)
                                    Owner: System
                                    Access: read/write
                                    Group: Wheel
                                    Access: read/write
                                    Others: read/write

                                    I think it is important to know that I am using Apple's Security
                                    option for my hard drive. this makes a virtual drive of my user
                                    folder from which I run all my private data.

                                    > and do you have write privileges to that directory and any existing
                                    > filepaths.ini and options.ini files in that directory?

                                    See above privileges.

                                    > How are you exiting PCGen when you have finished changing the
                                    > settings?

                                    I am always selecting OK.