RE: [pcgen] Mongoose Publishing: Babylon 5

  • Jonathan M. Thompson
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 31, 2004
      I do know of someone that has written a lst file for Babylon 5, as I
      have a copy for my home games (been testing it for him). I can contact
      him and see if I can give out his email address if you contact me in
      private.

      PS I am not endorsing any act that will violate any copyright,
      trademarks or licenses now in effect.

      Jonathan M. Thompson
      President, Battlefield Press, Inc. (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
      jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
      Luftwaffe 1946 Role Playing Game - Available now at RPGNow.com; Eric
      Flint's 1632 Resource Guide and Role Playing Game - Available November
      30, 2004

      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 31, 2004
        On Oct 31, 2004, at 08:14 AM, Jonathan M. Thompson wrote:

        > PS I am not endorsing any act that will violate any copyright,
        > trademarks or licenses now in effect.

        Except, of course, that you are by helping a copyright violation occur,
        facilitating a felony.

        Just thinking out loud.

      • Jonathan M. Thompson

          On Oct 31, 2004, at 08:14 AM, Jonathan M. Thompson wrote:

          > PS I am not endorsing any act that will violate any copyright,
          > trademarks or licenses now in effect.

          Except, of course, that you are by helping a copyright violation occur,
          facilitating a felony.

          Just thinking out loud.

          PCGen's FAQ:
          http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---

        • jthompson@battlefieldpress.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 31, 2004
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan M. Thompson" <jthompson@b...>
            wrote:
            > I'm not helping. I was just offering to put two people in touch, they
            > can do what they want when they get together.

            Though however I see your point, and withdrawl my offer.

            > Jonathan M. Thompson
            > President, Battlefield Press, Inc. (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
            > jthompson@b... / AIM - GreyLnsman
            > Luftwaffe 1946 Role Playing Game - Available now at RPGNow.com; Eric
            > Flint's 1632 Resource Guide and Role Playing Game - Available November
            > 30, 2004
          • Derek J. Balling
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 31, 2004
              On Oct 31, 2004, at 11:58 AM, Jonathan M. Thompson wrote:
              > I'm not helping. I was just offering to put two people in touch, they
              > can do what they want when they get together.

              Person1: Gosh I could really use a hitman.
              Person2: Hey, I know this friend of mine, let me introduce you...

              Doesn't really hold up as a defense in court, usually. ;-)

              just thinking out loud, though, not (at all) comparing "copyright
              infraction" to "hiring a hitman" on the badness scale... ;-)

            • Chris McLaughlin
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 31, 2004
                Hi Paul,

                I have sent an email to Mongoose Publishing asking for permission to include
                Babylon 5 in PCGen and also asked about the IP aspect regarding Warner
                Brothers.

                I'll keep you up to date with developments as they happen.

                Regards,

                Chris

                _____

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 31, 2004
                  Chris,

                  Contact me off list about this source.

                  Beaver
                  PCGen BoD - Chair/PL
                  ( michael at tripleknot.com)

                  ________________________________

                  Has anyone tried/started developing LST files for Mongoose Publishing's
                  Babylon 5 RPG?

                  PCGen's FAQ:
                  http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

                  PCGen's FAQ:
                  http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dkidap/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
                  D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099375042/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12itduolr/*htt
                  p://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10992886422
                  82371>
                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dkidap/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
                  D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099375042/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12itduolr/*htt
                  p://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10992886422
                  82371>

                  Get unlimited calls to

                  U.S./Canada

                  <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099
                  288642282371>

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=group
                  s/S=:HM/A=2343726/rand=867657936>

                • David Finch
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                    Derek J. Balling wrote:
                    > Person1: Gosh I could really use a hitman.
                    > Person2: Hey, I know this friend of mine, let me introduce you...
                    > Doesn't really hold up as a defense in court, usually. ;-)
                    > just thinking out loud, though, not (at all) comparing "copyright
                    > infraction" to "hiring a hitman" on the badness scale... ;-)

                    I am sitting here wondering what I should say ... it seam that I have been
                    hung drawn and quatered, and it is not even the 5th of November yet.

                    Basically I did ask permission before I started. And Mongoose said yes but
                    they did not want them distrubuted in PCgen. But they did say that B5
                    players can use them via the B5 emaillist on Yahoo Groups. I did not ask
                    about the WB stuff as Mongoose did not want them distrubuted directly but
                    in a fan way. That was one year ago, things change, lets see what they say now.

                    So if you want a copy join the B5 maillist and ask me there.

                    Dave

                    NB - I think that this group has become very uptight about copyright,
                    almost like a child that has been beaten to often, it flinches before being
                    hit. IANAL, there is such a thing as "fair use", use of data to create a
                    character is fair use from a RPG. If the licence from WB to Mongoose
                    excludes use of their IP in computers games then I could see there been a
                    conflict but other wise I can't see why they would object, but it is always
                    nice to ask.

                  • notyetmousse24@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                      groups sez...

                      'Person1: Gosh I could really use a hitman.
                      Person2: Hey, I know this friend of mine, let me introduce you...

                      Doesn't really hold up as a defense in court, usually.'

                      Sure it does! I mean why would reffering your friend to a dealer in
                      obviously illegal services be considered bad?

                      'just thinking out loud, though, not (at all) comparing "copyright
                      infraction" to "hiring a hitman" on the badness scale...'

                      You might not, but I'm sure the MPAA and RIAA disagree with you.

                      NotMousse
                      TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

                      what's the point?

                    • Michael R. Beaver
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                        OK all. So here is the thing. Yes we are twitchy about distributing
                        copyrighted material. I have been talking with Mongoose about this
                        since GAMA. They are interested and pursuing this with WB to see if
                        they will let us produce/distribute. I usually do not post information
                        like this until I have a more solid answer beyond "I am talkign to the
                        them about it." Part of the issue is that the publishers needed to be
                        fully educated on who PCGen is and what exactly we do. Once the
                        understanding of Open SOurce and how it relates to their PI was
                        understood it became alot easier to get permissions for book/sources.
                        One of the biggest challenges is getting people to code sources that
                        publishers want to see.

                        Now the twitch is distribution. We CANNOT publically distribute files
                        via the site or the zip files that we do not have perms for. So if
                        people would like to make a set for B5 that I can show to Mongoose we
                        can do that. However without an email from them giving us permision we
                        cannot distribute it or host it.

                        Beaver
                        PCGen BoD - Chair/PL

                        ________________________________

                        > Person1: Gosh I could really use a hitman.
                        > Person2: Hey, I know this friend of mine, let me introduce you...
                        > Doesn't really hold up as a defense in court, usually. ;-)
                        > just thinking out loud, though, not (at all) comparing "copyright
                        > infraction" to "hiring a hitman" on the badness scale... ;-)

                        I am sitting here wondering what I should say ... it seam that I have
                        been
                        hung drawn and quatered, and it is not even the 5th of November yet.

                        Basically I did ask permission before I started. And Mongoose said yes
                        but
                        they did not want them distrubuted in PCgen. But they did say that B5
                        players can use them via the B5 emaillist on Yahoo Groups. I did not ask

                        about the WB stuff as Mongoose did not want them distrubuted directly
                        but
                        in a fan way. That was one year ago, things change, lets see what they
                        say now.

                        So if you want a copy join the B5 maillist and ask me there.

                        Dave

                        NB - I think that this group has become very uptight about copyright,
                        almost like a child that has been beaten to often, it flinches before
                        being
                        hit. IANAL, there is such a thing as "fair use", use of data to create a

                        character is fair use from a RPG. If the licence from WB to Mongoose
                        excludes use of their IP in computers games then I could see there been
                        conflict but other wise I can't see why they would object, but it is
                        always
                        nice to ask.

                        PCGen's FAQ:
                        http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293pelit/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
                        D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099391582/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i1ci4ho/*htt
                        p://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10993051823
                        97565>
                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293pelit/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
                        D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099391582/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i1ci4ho/*htt
                        p://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10993051823
                        97565>

                        Get unlimited calls to

                        U.S./Canada

                        <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099
                        305182397565>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=group
                        s/S=:HM/A=2343726/rand=177920452>

                      • Michael R. Beaver
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                          Who refered to you as "the guy"?

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                            jthompson sez...

                            'I do know of someone that has written a lst file for Babylon 5, as I have a
                            copy for my home games (been testing it for him). I can contact him and see if
                            I can give out his email address if you contact me in private.'

                            In general it is considered smarter to offer such illegal help out of the
                            earshot (or eyeshot as the case may be) of a large group of witnesses and/or
                            where a standing record is kept.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                              Michael R. Beaver wrote:
                              > Who refered to you as "the guy"?

                              Well I don't know may be Jonathan got a copy of B5 LST files from you, I
                              kind of assume I had made them, but my memory can be flawed ;)

                              Dave

                            • David Finch
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                                Michael R. Beaver wrote:
                                > OK all. So here is the thing. Yes we are twitchy about distributing
                                > copyrighted material.

                                And it is resnoble to me, just why does it have to become an inquisition
                                everytime some on mension it?

                                > I have been talking with Mongoose about this
                                > since GAMA. They are interested and pursuing this with WB to see if
                                > they will let us produce/distribute. I usually do not post information
                                > like this until I have a more solid answer beyond "I am talkign to the
                                > them about it." Part of the issue is that the publishers needed to be
                                > fully educated on who PCGen is and what exactly we do. Once the
                                > understanding of Open SOurce and how it relates to their PI was
                                > understood it became alot easier to get permissions for book/sources.
                                > One of the biggest challenges is getting people to code sources that
                                > publishers want to see.

                                As expected, B5 is well supported having LST files would help them sell
                                more books.

                                > Now the twitch is distribution. We CANNOT publically distribute files
                                > via the site or the zip files that we do not have perms for. So if
                                > people would like to make a set for B5 that I can show to Mongoose we
                                > can do that. However without an email from them giving us permision we
                                > cannot distribute it or host it.

                                And this is why I have not up to this point even mension it here, I think I
                                asked for help in the LSThelp files using 'codes' as is the normal way.
                                Even on the B5 list it is not avaiable to the public to download, only to
                                people that directly ask, which is kind of what MP asked me to do (BTW it
                                was over a year ago so I doubt that anyone would now remeber there).

                                I have been a bit busy on the personal life front so have not been working
                                very hard on the B5 LST files, if this got offical permission from MP you
                                can assume that our work will become avaiable and I would help out.

                                Dave

                              • Michael R. Beaver
                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                                  Heh. I meant the Nov. 5th reference.

                                  Well I don't know may be Jonathan got a copy of B5 LST files from you, I
                                  kind of assume I had made them, but my memory can be flawed ;)

                                  Dave

                                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM
                                • David Finch
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                                    Michael R. Beaver wrote:
                                    > Heh. I meant the Nov. 5th reference.

                                    Oh IC, silly me :)

                                    BTW as it is traditionally on the Usenet to upset everyone with provincial
                                    celebrations; "Have a Happy and Safe Bonfire Day" this weekend ;)

                                    /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

                                  • Jonathan M. Thompson

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                                        Guy Faulks day

                                        Playing Game - Available now at RPGNow.com; Eric Flint's 1632 Resource
                                        Guide and Role Playing Game - Available November 30, 2004

                                        /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

                                        ---

                                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM
                                      • Lizard
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 1, 2004
                                          On 08:57 PM 11/1/2004, Nigel Bennington said....

                                          >You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
                                          >rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
                                          >distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
                                          >American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

                                          Two words: Berne Convention.

                                          A whole lot more words: Even if use is legal elsewhere, international law
                                          allows for cases to be brought where it is NOT, so, if Mongoose wanted to
                                          sue, they could do so in the UK or in the US, wherever it was more viable
                                          for them.
                                        • Nigel Bennington

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                              Michael R. Beaver wrote:
                                              > Guy Faulks day
                                              >> Jonathan M. Thompson [mailto:jthompson@...] wrote:
                                              >> What happens 5 November?
                                              >>> David Finch [mailto:david.finch@...] wrote:
                                              >>> /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

                                              "In 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group of conspirators attempted to blow up the
                                              Houses of Parliament (*1). Before they were able to carry out their plan
                                              they were caught, tortured and executed. Every year since then we have
                                              traditionally celebrated his failure by letting off fireworks and burning
                                              an effigy of 'Guy'"

                                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

                                              It is now just an excuse now for an outside party with Fireworks and a
                                              large bonfire ;)

                                              (*1) Note that this was at the State Opening; hence they would have killed
                                              the Executive, Legistive, Judicial and Military 'Branches' of the English
                                              Government. Their intension was to destroy the top of the English political
                                              structure to allow a Catholic take over. It failed, some think that it was
                                              in fact a setup to catch the insurgents.

                                            • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                                Thanks for the history lesson, David. This Texan hasn't done near enough study on english government... I normally stop paying attention just after Henry VIII. I go into the arts (the poets and Shakespeare) but not the politics until just before 1776 (and even then just enough to know the king's name was George), and really pay attention again just prior to 1900, with the european naval arms race, and foundation of characters involved in and formation events leading up to WW1.

                                                But that's just me. . .

                                                Tir Gwaith
                                                LST Chimp
                                              • Steven Gilroy
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                                  This is also one of the roots of American Trick or Treat. Back in the
                                                  olden days people used to ask for "a penny for the Guy". This was a
                                                  monetary donation to help create the effigy of Guy that would be burned
                                                  on Guy Fawkes Night. Back in the 1800's and 1900's the church even
                                                  tried to combine Halloween with Guy Fawkes Night because they viewed
                                                  Halloween as to Pagan. That is one of the reasons that people actually
                                                  dress up for Guy Fawkes Night too.
                                                  (I'm not british but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn
                                                  Express....err...I mean....I saw a special on the History Channel Sunday
                                                  evening)

                                                  --

                                                  Steven Gilroy
                                                  PCGen OS Lemur

                                                • Michael R. Beaver
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                                    Penny for the Guy?

                                                    ________________________________

                                                    >>> /*Remember*, *Remember*, The Fifth of November!/

                                                    "In 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group of conspirators attempted to blow up
                                                    the
                                                    Houses of Parliament (*1). Before they were able to carry out their plan

                                                    they were caught, tortured and executed. Every year since then we have
                                                    traditionally celebrated his failure by letting off fireworks and
                                                    burning
                                                    an effigy of 'Guy'"

                                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

                                                    It is now just an excuse now for an outside party with Fireworks and a
                                                    large bonfire ;)

                                                    (*1) Note that this was at the State Opening; hence they would have
                                                    killed
                                                    the Executive, Legistive, Judicial and Military 'Branches' of the
                                                    English
                                                    Government. Their intension was to destroy the top of the English
                                                    political
                                                    structure to allow a Catholic take over. It failed, some think that it
                                                    was
                                                    in fact a setup to catch the insurgents.

                                                    PCGen's FAQ:
                                                    http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

                                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                                    click here
                                                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295bvcd7/M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/
                                                    D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099483017/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*htt
                                                    ps://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21
                                                    004SS>

                                                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5529724.6602080.3001176/D=group
                                                    s/S=:HM/A=2372354/rand=428850881>

                                                  • Mike Mitchell
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                                      On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:13:10 -0800, Michael R. Beaver
                                                      <michael@...> wrote:

                                                      > Penny for the Guy?

                                                      Children make a mannequin figure, trundle it about, begging small
                                                      change off people, then go and buy small explosives to play with.
                                                      Originally innocent fun, until the little gits started hurting
                                                      themselves with the fireworks, or putting them through people's doors
                                                      etc.

                                                      The "Guy" would be burnt on a bonfire during the fireworks - to
                                                      recreate the execution of the "heretic" Guy Fawkes after his failed
                                                      attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

                                                      --
                                                      "Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The
                                                      sleeper must awaken."
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                                        It is also a concept required for software under Russian law.

                                                        _____

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                                          Nigel Bennington wrote:
                                                          > You should be aware that "Fair Use" is an American concept that most of the
                                                          > rest of the world does not share, since PCGEN is an internationally
                                                          > distributed product, we need to abide by international copyright law, not
                                                          > American, so "Fair Use" does not come into play.

                                                          http://www.cerebalaw.com/berne.htm
                                                          *The Berne Convention on Literary and Artistic Works*
                                                          /Artical 10/

                                                          "(1) It shall be permissible to make quotations from a work which has
                                                          already been lawfully made available to the public, provided that their
                                                          making is compatible with /fair practice/, and their extent does not exceed
                                                          that justified by the purpose, including quotations from newspaper articles
                                                          and periodicals in the form of press summaries."

                                                          "Fair Use" (US) = "Fair Practice", the definitions of what is "Fair
                                                          Practice" change from county to county but not the concept itself. This
                                                          concept has been stretch in many places to include for example 'time
                                                          shifted' copies of broadcasted copyright information.

                                                          United States = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
                                                          The Commonwealth = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

                                                          I agree that I was not being specific enough when I used "Fair Use" and had
                                                          assumed that this was the generic term.

                                                          Dave

                                                        • Michael R. Beaver
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Nov 2, 2004
                                                            OK all. This thread is DONE. If you want to discuss it further take
                                                            it over to: "ogf-d20-l-bounces@..." This is a
                                                            mailing list for pcgen.....

                                                            Beaver
                                                            PCGen BoD - Chair/PL