wish list (was Looking forward in PCGen)

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29 8:35 AM
      Alright, I've tried to compile a list of what everyone stated. I may
      have missed some items, but I did try to get everything. So, without
      further ado, here it is:

      ===

      Books
      * Arcanis
      * Cthulu (x4)
      * Deeds not Words
      * Dragon magazine material
      * Epic
      * d20 Future (x6)
      * Greyhawk
      * Grimtales
      * Mechamorphosis
      * Planar
      * Rokugan
      * Shadowrun (x2)
      * Sidewinder
      * Stargate line (x2)
      * Starwars (x5)
      * Traveller (x3)
      * Ultramodern Firearms
      * Unearthed Arcana
      * Urban Arcana
      * Weapons Locker

      Code (Lst Editors)
      * choose either SQL db or XML for lst file syntax (x4)
      * creating races, classes and templates like a character
      * editors that work (x2)
      * java based spreadsheet
      * look like stat block for ease of input (x2)
      * specialized editors for feats and spells
      * true Lst Converter/Updater
      * XML (x7 (includes the 4 from data format above))
      * XML compilers

      Code (general)
      * backend engine with separate front ends
      * better class inheritance support (so you don't have to copy classes)
      * better support for animal companions/familiars
      * backward compatibility
      * default set-up so that new users aren't intimidated
      * development cycle like *BSD
      * import stat blocks
      * modular code
      * packaging a character (with all datasets used) to send to DM
      * PC races by default
      * PDA support (x3)
      * rewrite code from ground-up for clean design and architecture
      * save DC calculations better for spells and spell-like abilties
      * skill rank modifiers listed (+2 dex, +2 ranks, +1 weapon focus, etc)
      * simpler synergy bonuses
      * simpler user interface
      * split base attack and full attack
      * vitality/wound points

      OS
      * 3x5 card for printing NPCs (x2)
      * spells known / spells prepared

      Biggest gripe
      * speed (x8)
      * unstable, both code and data

      ===

      Paul W. King
      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
    • notyetmousse24@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29 10:01 AM
        paulking sez... stuff

        You forgot about the gripe about it being on Java!

        NotMousse
        TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

        what's the point?

      • Paul W. King
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29 10:04 AM
          > You forgot about the gripe about it being on Java!

          I don't recall seeing that one...the speed issue, yes, but not java.

          Paul W. King
          TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
        • Ed Holley
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29 1:02 PM
            Plug-in information . so someone could make a plugin if they wish . say FTP.

            _____

[...]

            PCGen's FAQ:
            http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ptfn77/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099150551/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ipbaugq/*http:/clk.a
            tdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099064151671167>
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ptfn77/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099150551/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ipbaugq/*http:/clk.a
            tdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099064151671167>

            Get unlimited calls to
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ptfn77/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099150551/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ipbaugq/*http:/clk.a
            tdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099064151671167>

            U.S./Canada
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ptfn77/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099150551/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ipbaugq/*http:/clk.a
            tdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099064151671167>

            <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10990641
            51671167>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2343726/rand=838642788>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • notyetmousse24@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 30 2:07 AM
              paulking sez...

              'I don't recall seeing that one...the speed issue, yes, but not java.'

              I griped that it was on Java, not that it'll change, but I wanted to gripe
              about it anyway.

              NotMousse
              TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

              what's the point?

            • singersr
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 30 12:26 PM
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@v...>
                wrote:
                > Code (general)
                > * better class inheritance support (so you don't have to copy
                classes)

                This reminded me. I asked for better explicate inheritance in the
                data sets so for example we can create our own versions and
                subversions of races without copying whole lst file entries. I'd
                also like to see a mechanism that determines what order in which a
                list file applies, basically how the data def cascades. This might
                alos make debugging easier.

                I also raised the point the other day about more generic equipment
                for customising, however that seemed to get lost in the directory
                idea taking off. I'm thinking perhaps I should create a lst file
                and post it somewhere that I can get feedback about it.
              • Truth
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 31 2:35 PM
                  On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:26:49 -0000, singersr <rsingers@...> wrote:
                  > This reminded me. I asked for better explicate inheritance in the
                  > data sets so for example we can create our own versions and
                  > subversions of races without copying whole lst file entries.

                  On a vaguely similar note: there seems to have been a trend in the
                  Wizards books recently for substitution levels.
                  Do we have a way of doing this? If not can we get it added to the list
                  of things to do?
                  --
                  Truth.
                  There is no religion higher than the Truth.