BoD Minutes - 10/24/04

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 28, 2004
      Attendance: Chris (CMP Liaison), Devon (Code SB), Eddy (Content SB),
      Eric (Content (Data) 2nd), Paul G (OGL SB), Paul K (TM SB), Reed (QA
      SB)

      Pre-meeting babble:
      1) Eric will share his cookies that are in the oven if we come to his
      house in Canada

      Agenda
      1) Release
      1a) Release went well
      1b) A Windows *.chm version of the docs now exists
      1c) Eric has dared everyone to make this the last Alpha
      2) Code
      2a) Half done on remaining p7+ freq
      2b) Can now choose to load in any plug-in in either PCGen or GMGen
      2c) Basic architectural document of where PCGen is going has been
      written
      3) Content
      3a) Data
      3a1) Haven't looked at Bugbear issue yet
      3a2) Focusing on psionics at the moment
      3a3) Wants code monkey who did VISIBLE work to finish working the freq
      4) QA
      4a) Trying to keep track of all of the responses to Bryan's pop-quiz
      4b) When beta kicks off, will do an in-depth QA review
      5) OGL
      5a) Will work on 2 Paradigm sources this week
      5b) Psionics shouldn't be hard if the psi piece of the RSRD was used
      6) TM – nothing new
      7) PL – nothing new
      8) CMP
      8a) Will wait until beta to see what changes in code effect CMP
      datasets
      8b) Post-5.8 will begin looking at CMP-PCGen dataset compatibility
      9) Open floor
      9a) Willpower/Will saving throw discussion and what needs to be done
      to change Willpower to Will in the datasets
      9b) Remember to turn back clocks (for those impacted) this coming
      Saturday night/Sunday morning

      ===

      Paul W. King
      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
    • Keith Davies
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 28, 2004
        On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:26:28PM +0000, Paul W. King wrote:

        > Attendance: Chris (CMP Liaison), Devon (Code SB), Eddy (Content SB),
        > Eric (Content (Data) 2nd), Paul G (OGL SB), Paul K (TM SB), Reed (QA
        > SB)
        >
        > Pre-meeting babble:
        > 1) Eric will share his cookies that are in the oven if we come to his
        > house in Canada

        You'll want him to make more. The ones that were in his oven -- if they
        still existed -- wouldn't be very good any more.

        Keith
        keith.davies@... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
        keith.davies@... me: "What do you say?"
        http://www.kjdavies.org/ Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 28, 2004
          8b) Post-5.8 will begin looking at CMP-PCGen dataset compatibility

          Someone want to explain to me how this affects PCGen's datasets?

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 28, 2004
            On 10/28/04 1:42 PM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

            > 8b) Post-5.8 will begin looking at CMP-PCGen dataset compatibility
            >
            > Someone want to explain to me how this affects PCGen's datasets?

            The short answer is we have no idea because we haven't started looking at it
            yet. The longer answer is that the Board of directors feels there is a high
            demand and a great benefit in making CMP's and PCGens datasets work
            together. It will not be a matter of us changing our sets to match theirs or
            the reverse. The preliminary plan for this is to work with CMP to publish a
            set of standards for variable names, EQMOD keys and methods that could be
            used by anyone creating datasets for the SRD, RSRD or MSRD. This will need
            to be completed before any data work can be done.

            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 28, 2004
              > The preliminary plan for this is to work with CMP to publish a
              > set of standards for variable names, EQMOD keys and methods that
              could be
              > used by anyone creating datasets for the SRD, RSRD or MSRD.

              Heh, Eddy, this is part of what I was talking about when I said that I
              think we need docs for each gamemode. I meant we need the specific
              variables coded, rather than a standard for creation.
            • Michael R. Beaver
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2004
                Right now it doesn't. What I have asked the BoD members and the CMP
                Laiason to do is to come to a common ground on VAR/EQMODS, etc.. so that
                we can have a published set of common variable and make datasets from
                ANY producer work with other sets. This way should anyone else wish to
                make set outside of the PCGen Content team we can have interoperability.
                So right now it is a post 5.8 discussion but one that I hope means that
                people will get an increased use out of the PCGen in general.

                Beaver
                PCGen BoD - Chair/PL

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 28, 2004
                  taluroniscandar scribed:

                  >> The preliminary plan for this is to work with CMP to publish a
                  >> set of standards for variable names, EQMOD keys and methods that
                  >> could be
                  >> used by anyone creating datasets for the SRD, RSRD or MSRD.
                  >
                  > Heh, Eddy, this is part of what I was talking about when I said that I
                  > think we need docs for each gamemode. I meant we need the specific
                  > variables coded, rather than a standard for creation.

                  Ah, I understand. I put in a doc FREQ last year to document all the
                  variables used for common things but its such a massive project that I never
                  got started on it. I also had the idea that all the TYPEs needed to be
                  documented as they can have a wide range of effects under the hood and in
                  the OS and few are actually documented in this manor.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                    > taluroniscandar scribed:
                    >
                    > Ah, I understand. I put in a doc FREQ last year to document all the
                    > variables used for common things but its such a massive project that
                    I never
                    > got started on it.

                    Odd semi-OT thought but has anyone thought of setting up a Wiki? They
                    aren't the be-all end-all of data management but IMO they make an
                    excellent staging ground. It lets a lot of eyes jump in and edit
                    information which can be migrated to the "real" documentation. Which
                    I guess would make the Wiki the rough draft.
                    It would also provide a permanent home for Tir & Barak's classes
                    that are easier to search than Y! and can be linked to the docs and
                    other information.

                    -James McP
                    Monkey? No, I'm more of an idea rat.
                  • Eddy Anthony
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                      On 10/29/04 11:11 AM, "kigmatzomat" <jamesmcp@...> wrote:

                      > Odd semi-OT thought but has anyone thought of setting up a Wiki? They
                      > aren't the be-all end-all of data management but IMO they make an
                      > excellent staging ground. It lets a lot of eyes jump in and edit
                      > information which can be migrated to the "real" documentation. Which
                      > I guess would make the Wiki the rough draft.
                      > It would also provide a permanent home for Tir & Barak's classes
                      > that are easier to search than Y! and can be linked to the docs and
                      > other information.
                      >
                      > -James McP
                      > Monkey? No, I'm more of an idea rat.

                      Actually we have a Wiki, go to the PCGen homepage at Sourceforge and you'll
                      see the Wiki link.

                      As for the LST file classes they've been given a permanent home in the docs
                      just recently.
                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                        > On 10/29/04 11:11 AM, "kigmatzomat" <jamesmcp@g...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Odd semi-OT thought but has anyone thought of setting up a Wiki?

                        > Actually we have a Wiki, go to the PCGen homepage at Sourceforge and
                        you'll
                        > see the Wiki link.

                        Ummm, no, no I won't. It might be there but I'm not seeing the link.
                        I even did a search in the sourceforge project page to make sure I'm
                        not blind.

                        -James McP
                      • Paul W. King
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                          > Ummm, no, no I won't. It might be there but I'm not seeing the
                          > link. I even did a search in the sourceforge project page to make
                          > sure I'm not blind.

                          Its a tab near the top of the page. However, someone's hacked the
                          page, again, and made it a crap load of ad links.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kigmatzomat" <jamesmcp@g...> wrote:

                            > > Actually we have a Wiki, go to the PCGen homepage at Sourceforge and
                            > you'll see the Wiki link.
                            >
                            > Ummm, no, no I won't. It might be there but I'm not seeing the link.

                            Scratch that. I didn't go to the home page. There's a wiki.

                            Whoah. Has anyone *been* to the Wiki? It's nothing but spam. Gah.
                            Looks like it got changed this morning at 9am.

                            And....I can't find the "revert" button. Someone more than an idea
                            rat care to take a look? This one's laid out different from the
                            wikipedia wiki I used before.

                            -James McP