[FREQ] FTP load and save for character

  • Martin!
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 2004
      Hi,

      Yesterday, my player were getting ready for the game. One of the
      character was levelling his character... later in game, we saw that he
      didn't took the right character save to do is levelling (the right
      version was at work...)

      One complexe solution would be to have a character server with
      security and all...

      the simple solution would be to allow the use of ftp to load and save
      characters. Almost every one as access to a FTP site. This way, we can
      always update the right character with no need to email it home or at
      the office or to the DM....

      what do you think? would it be a nice feature?

      Martin!
    • singersr
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 27, 2004
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martin! <mbeware@g...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Yesterday, my player were getting ready for the game. One of the
        > character was levelling his character... later in game, we saw
        that he
        > didn't took the right character save to do is levelling (the right
        > version was at work...)
        >
        > One complexe solution would be to have a character server with
        > security and all...
        >
        > the simple solution would be to allow the use of ftp to load and
        save
        > characters. Almost every one as access to a FTP site. This way, we
        can
        > always update the right character with no need to email it home or
        at
        > the office or to the DM....
        >
        > what do you think? would it be a nice feature?

        This is an entirely different beast to the PCGen client and could be
        done anyway if you had an FTP server.
      • Martin!
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 28, 2004
          I don't see why "This is an entirely different beast to the PCGen
          client" as what I was suggesting was to integrate the thing in
          PCGEN... I don't think you understood me... Let me try again...

          I know I can ftp the file back and forth to my ftp server. The trouble
          is sometime people forget or don't upload the right character and then
          we don't know where is the right character.

          If a save to FTP and load from FTP would exist, we could have a easy
          way to do that and my player would never loose a character anymore...

          It's not that far from the option we have to use the web to store lst files...

          On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:26:48 -0000, singersr <rsingers@...> wrote:

          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martin! <mbeware@g...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Yesterday, my player were getting ready for the game. One of the
          > > character was levelling his character... later in game, we saw
          > that he
          > > didn't took the right character save to do is levelling (the right
          > > version was at work...)
          > >
          > > One complexe solution would be to have a character server with
          > > security and all...
          > >
          > > the simple solution would be to allow the use of ftp to load and
          > save
          > > characters. Almost every one as access to a FTP site. This way, we
          > can
          > > always update the right character with no need to email it home or
          > at
          > > the office or to the DM....
          > >
          > > what do you think? would it be a nice feature?
          >
          > This is an entirely different beast to the PCGen client and could be
          > done anyway if you had an FTP server.

          > PCGen's FAQ:
          > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

        • Ed Holley
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2004
            I agree this would be a nice feature. If I understand him correctly
            File>Save>FTP>default>MyCharacter.pcg. This would be nice feature to me.
            Everyone would pull from and save to the same ftp server. A java ftp client
            would be a nice addition (as a plug-in). I am of course not a code monkey,
            but as a user would like to see this feature. Something that is already
            coded, that just need to be modified to a plug in. Again I am not coder,
            but something like this might be a start
            http://openide.netbeans.org/fs/Library.html. Just my $.02

            _____

            I don't see why "This is an entirely different beast to the PCGen
            client" as what I was suggesting was to integrate the thing in
            PCGEN... I don't think you understood me... Let me try again...

            I know I can ftp the file back and forth to my ftp server. The trouble
            is sometime people forget or don't upload the right character and then
            we don't know where is the right character.

            If a save to FTP and load from FTP would exist, we could have a easy
            way to do that and my player would never loose a character anymore...

            It's not that far from the option we have to use the web to store lst
            files...

            On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:26:48 -0000, singersr <rsingers@...> wrote:

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martin! <mbeware@g...> wrote:
            >

            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Yesterday, my player were getting ready for the game. One of the
            > > character was levelling his character... later in game, we saw
            > that he
            > > didn't took the right character save to do is levelling (the right
            > > version was at work...)
            > >
            > > One complexe solution would be to have a character server with
            > > security and all...
            > >
            > > the simple solution would be to allow the use of ftp to load and
            > save
            > > characters. Almost every one as access to a FTP site. This way, we
            > can
            > > always update the right character with no need to email it home or
            > at
            > > the office or to the DM....
            > >
            > > what do you think? would it be a nice feature?
            >
            > This is an entirely different beast to the PCGen client and could be
            > done anyway if you had an FTP server.

            > PCGen's FAQ:
            > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

            PCGen's FAQ:
            http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12909c87u/M=315388.5526708.6599542.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099074502/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https:/www.
            orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS> click
            here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5526708.6599542.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2372354/rand=818382383>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • raxx_the_grey
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 28, 2004
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Holley" <eholley@c...> wrote:
              > I agree this would be a nice feature. If I understand him correctly
              > File>Save>FTP>default>MyCharacter.pcg. This would be nice feature
              to me.
              > Everyone would pull from and save to the same ftp server. A java
              ftp client
              > would be a nice addition (as a plug-in). I am of course not a code
              monkey,
              > but as a user would like to see this feature. Something that is
              already
              > coded, that just need to be modified to a plug in. Again I am not
              coder,
              > but something like this might be a start
              > http://openide.netbeans.org/fs/Library.html. Just my $.02
              >

              > _____

              An option for SFTP too, for the paranoid amoung us.

              Rax the Grey
            • Kevin Brown
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 28, 2004
                >> I agree this would be a nice feature. If I understand him correctly
                >> File>Save>FTP>default>MyCharacter.pcg. This would be nice feature to me.
                >
                >> Everyone would pull from and save to the same ftp server. A java ftp
                >> client would be a nice addition (as a plug-in). I am of course not a code
                >> monkey, but as a user would like to see this feature. Something that is
                >> already coded, that just need to be modified to a plug in. Again I am not
                >> coder, but something like this might be a start
                >> http://openide.netbeans.org/fs/Library.html. Just my $.02

                >> From: Martin! [mailto:mbeware@g...] Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 14:28
                >> To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [pcgen] Re: [FREQ] FTP load and
                >> save for character
                >>

                >> I don't see why "This is an entirely different beast to the PCGen client"
                >> as what I was suggesting was to integrate the thing in PCGEN... I don't
                >> think you understood me... Let me try again...
                >>
                >> I know I can ftp the file back and forth to my ftp server. The trouble is
                >> sometime people forget or don't upload the right character and then we
                >> don't know where is the right character.
                >>
                >> If a save to FTP and load from FTP would exist, we could have a easy way to
                >> do that and my player would never loose a character anymore... It's not
                >> that far from the option we have to use the web to store lst files...

                >>> This is an entirely different beast to the PCGen client and could be done
                >>> anyway if you had an FTP server.

                > An option for SFTP too, for the paranoid amoung us.

                This is sounding a lot like feature creep to me. While it sounds like it might
                be nice, there doesn't seem to be any reason to do this in PCgen when there are
                plenty of applications that can do it outside of PCGen. Hell, you could just
                utilize rsync over ssh to keep a certain directory uptodate between the server
                and other systems. Same with FTP or other save methods.
              • Martin!
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 28, 2004
                  Yes, that is true, it's not something that would be on a high priority
                  list. It doesn't add new sources or make existing source work better.
                  It's just a nice feature that I would like and would make my life and
                  my player's easier as all player would be able to always get thier
                  latest versions of there characters. It's the same as GMgen in pcgen
                  or having a preview pane (Both are option that I love)... we had other
                  way to do these thing, but they make our life a little bit easier...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 28, 2004
                    I don't particularly like rsync as an option. If the player updates the
                    character prior to the game to include his new items, then the gm syncs the
                    XP from the game, the changes the player made prior to the game would be
                    overwritten. CVS would be a better option, but I don't know anything about
                    CVS. Of course this is feature creep, but their was a specific request for
                    feature creep. :-) Your solution was also operating system dependant more
                    or less.

                    FTP is a far more standard option. I am not saying that this is a critical
                    feature that must be added now, but it would be nice. The amount of
                    freeware/open source ftp servers that are very easy to set up for any
                    operating system. I think if there that it would be a good plug-in, not a
                    base feature. If it were available, I would definatly make use of it.

                    _____

                    * >>> This is an entirely different beast to the PCGen client and
                    could be done
                    >>> anyway if you had an FTP server.

                    > An option for SFTP too, for the paranoid amoung us.

                    This is sounding a lot like feature creep to me. While it sounds like it
                    might
                    be nice, there doesn't seem to be any reason to do this in PCgen when there
                    are
                    plenty of applications that can do it outside of PCGen. Hell, you could
                    just
                    utilize rsync over ssh to keep a certain directory uptodate between the
                    server
                    and other systems. Same with FTP or other save methods.

                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 29, 2004
                      [ 1057177 ] FTP load and save for character
                      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1057177&group_id=25
                      576&atid=384722

                      Paul W. King
                      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
                    • Ed Holley
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 30, 2004
                        Thanks :-)

                        _____

                        [ 1057177 ] FTP load and save for character
                        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail
                        <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1057177&group_id=2
                        5> &aid=1057177&group_id=25

                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129cqr8pq/M=315388.5543473.6613715.3001176/D=gr
                        oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1099199407/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https:/www.
                        orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS> click
                        here

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5543473.6613715.3001176/D=groups/S=
                        :HM/A=2372354/rand=613246898>

                        _____