2nd try How to use the CHOOSE tags and LIST

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
      Okay, I need to get the PC to make a choice of two skill out of
      three, and then add a bonus of 2 to those skills... so from what I
      gather from the Tag index, this is what I have:

      CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Bluff,Diplomacy,Intimidate|2 <tab>
      BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2

      Yeah, I know, I'm putting it all togehter first then working out
      bugs... I'm still in the process of trying to get all the feats done
      before I tackle debugging it. Anyway, Do I need to end the CHOOSE
      statement with LIST? I have seen that in the srd35 data files. But
      not every CHOOSE statement has that even though there may be a
      corresponding BONUS tag callling the LIST. And the LST tag index is
      woefully short on explanations in some areas.

      Also, if I want the PC to be able to, through a feat, choose 3
      skills to always be class skills, would I simply do a
      CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|CROSSCLASS|3 <tab> CSKILL:LIST, or is that what
      the CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL tag is for?

      Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

      Evan
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
        > Also, if I want the PC to be able to, through a feat, choose 3
        > skills to always be class skills, would I simply do a
        > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|CROSSCLASS|3 <tab> CSKILL:LIST, or is that what
        > the CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL tag is for?

        I'm at work so can't really look, but check out the occupation hidden
        feats in the Modern data set... they do something like this IIRC.

        Barak
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
          > > Also, if I want the PC to be able to, through a feat, choose 3
          > > skills to always be class skills, would I simply do a
          > > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|CROSSCLASS|3 <tab> CSKILL:LIST, or is that
          what
          > > the CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL tag is for?
          >
          > I'm at work so can't really look, but check out the occupation
          hidden
          > feats in the Modern data set... they do something like this IIRC.

          Thanks, i didn't think to look there. The modern srd helped to
          answer the first part of the post. But this part, is more fuzzy.
          The Smart Hero hidden feats just have a ton of BONUS:SKILL tags with
          PRExxx tags added to them.

          Well... I guess if all else fails I can try a test run of it... :)

          Evan
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
            > > Also, if I want the PC to be able to, through a feat, choose 3
            > > skills to always be class skills, would I simply do a
            > > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|CROSSCLASS|3 <tab> CSKILL:LIST, or is that
            what
            > > the CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL tag is for?
            >
            > I'm at work so can't really look, but check out the occupation
            hidden
            > feats in the Modern data set... they do something like this IIRC.

            After testing it... using CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|CROSSCLASS|3
            does absolutely nothing. You get one choice then you get an error
            box that says InfoFeat 1:Null. But that may be because I can't use
            the CROSSCLASS tag in there after looking at the tag info. Trying
            it as CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|3 brings up an empty choice box, so
            that apparently is not the route to go.

            I tried CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|CROSSCLASS|3 <tab> CSKILL:LIST and that
            works BUT, it only allows you to choose one skill, not 3. So why
            isn't it it giving the 3 choices specified?

            I tried putting multiple CHOOSESKILLSNAMED|CROSSCLASS|1 and then
            ending with a CSKILL:LIST, but it still only allows one choice, not
            three.

            And to add to the problems here... Well, perhaps I should give the
            background on this:

            The feat is called Restless Wanderer, and it give the player a
            choice of a) naming three skills to be class skills, or b) naming a
            class as a favored class.

            So to do this, I divided it into two feats: Restless Wanderer (Class
            Skills), and Restless Wanderer (Favored Class).

            After all the prerequisites, I end the Favored class with ADD:FEAT
            (TYPE.Rest)1 which calls a hidden feat, which calls a Template to be
            able to do the FAVOREDCLASS tag. But when I take the Restless
            Wanderer (Favored Class) feat, it lets me select the hidden feat and
            calls the template, but it ends up not counting as a feat taken. My
            feat count still stays the same.

            With the Class Skill version, it is only letting me select one skill
            to be a class skill, not three.

            Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

            Evan
          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
              CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Bluff|Dipomacy|Intimidate|1
              BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2
              COST:.5

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
                wrote:
                > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Bluff|Dipomacy|Intimidate|1
                > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2
                > COST:.5

                Ahhh... I see. So the multiple choice on the Choos tag won't work
                without altering the cost of the feat. Funky... but it works.

                Although I found that the CHOOSE:Language(Spoken) doesn't work
                outside of the Skill list. I tried it in a feat and the only choice
                listed was Language(Spoken). :P

                So now, I need to find out how to make the choice of that feat allow
                you to choose two new languages another way. BONUS:SKILL|Speak
                language|2 doesn't work since the Speak Language skill appears to be
                hard coded to allow choices only off Ranks... I could do
                BONUS:SKILLRANK|Speak language|2 but that would only be valid if the
                person didn't already have the skill maxed out.

                Hmmm...

                Evan