[BUG] companionmods HD progression

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2004
      I seem to have stumbled on a bug with the companionmods HD tag. To replicate
      do this: Create a Paladin, ramp him up to 5th level and get the man a horse
      (Special Mount). Now advance the paladin to the next level then go back to
      the horse and go to the resource tab, click 'update from master'. Everything
      goes fine at first, go back to the paladin, update and repeat. At 8th level
      the horse gets 2 more HD as expected, but after that it starts getting more
      HD, a lot more. I have an 11th level paladin with a horse with 8 extra HD
      not the 6 it should, and it gets worse after that.

      If I delete the Mount and create a new one it comes out correct for the
      paladins level.

      I've tried this with saving the characters as I go and not, it comes out the
      same regardless. Haven't seen any bug reports that match this, anyone else
      see this problem.
      This is using 5.7.6
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
        I saw something similar with my Druid (well, shaman but using same
        code) Animal companion.

        It doesn't seem to remember the HD additions each time it was saved.
        So every time I loaded the character, the companion got more HD.
        That was at Druid companion level 8 starting out (didn't test below
        that). Since it is a character I'm playing with, I just saved a
        version of the animal before the modifications, copied it to a new
        file for the addition, and reapplied the Companion stuff on the basic
        animal form whenever I got ready for Game Night.

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp

        > I seem to have stumbled on a bug with the companionmods HD tag. To
        replicate
        > do this: Create a Paladin, ramp him up to 5th level and get the man
        a horse
        > (Special Mount). Now advance the paladin to the next level then go
        back to
        > the horse and go to the resource tab, click 'update from master'.
        Everything
        > goes fine at first, go back to the paladin, update and repeat. At
        8th level
        > the horse gets 2 more HD as expected, but after that it starts
        getting more
        > HD, a lot more. I have an 11th level paladin with a horse with 8
        extra HD
        > not the 6 it should, and it gets worse after that.
        >
        > If I delete the Mount and create a new one it comes out correct for
        the
        > paladins level.
        >
        > I've tried this with saving the characters as I go and not, it
        comes out the
        > same regardless. Haven't seen any bug reports that match this,
        anyone else
        > see this problem.
        > This is using 5.7.6
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
          Yeah, I found this working on the Shadowdancer Shadow companion and
          confirmed it with a paladin and a ranger. It happens with any companionmod
          that grants extra HD. What seems to be happening is that PCGen is not
          tracking HD additions due to the master so when ever it reevaluates it
          grants as many HD as is appropriate for the masters level even if those HD
          are already in place.

          Trackered:
          [ 1036976 ] [5.7.6] companionmods HD progression
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback