SPELLLEVEL:CLASS global?

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2004
      The docs (5.7.5) say that this tag is global. I'm trying to use it on
      a SUBCLASSLEVEL line. It doesn't work but the problem could be with
      either tag.
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2004
        > The docs (5.7.5) say that this tag is global. I'm trying to use it on
        > a SUBCLASSLEVEL line. It doesn't work but the problem could be with
        > either tag.

        "Global" is a loose term in PCGen. (and I'll stop there before I
        really go off on how we've (mis)used that word in the PCGen docs) :p

        It usually means usable in any file *type* in some way, but not
        necessarily usable with any tag/line type within that file type...

        Although if it doesn't work with a SUBCLASS it really needs to be made
        to IMO.

        Barak
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2004
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
          > > The docs (5.7.5) say that this tag is global. I'm trying to use it on
          > > a SUBCLASSLEVEL line. It doesn't work but the problem could be with
          > > either tag.
          >
          > "Global" is a loose term in PCGen. (and I'll stop there before I
          > really go off on how we've (mis)used that word in the PCGen docs) :p
          >
          > It usually means usable in any file *type* in some way, but not
          > necessarily usable with any tag/line type within that file type...
          >
          > Although if it doesn't work with a SUBCLASS it really needs to be made
          > to IMO.

          Hm, this a FReq or a bug?
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 27, 2004
            > Hm, this a FReq or a bug?

            Devon will probably have to answer that... because I really don't know
            if it's supposed to behave that way and isn't, or if it was never
            supposed to (from the code standpoint). :p

            Barak
          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 27, 2004
              > > The docs (5.7.5) say that this tag is global. I'm trying to use it on
              > > a SUBCLASSLEVEL line. It doesn't work but the problem could be with
              > > either tag.

              It should, I got Holy Warrior coded up with it on SUBCLASSLEVEL tags.

              > "Global" is a loose term in PCGen. (and I'll stop there before I
              > really go off on how we've (mis)used that word in the PCGen docs) :p

              LOL, yeah... Of course, you and I see things from a similar perspective...

              > It usually means usable in any file *type* in some way, but not
              > necessarily usable with any tag/line type within that file type...
              >
              > Although if it doesn't work with a SUBCLASS it really needs to be made
              > to IMO.

              Um, I know it worked on SUBCLASSLEVEL lines. Book of the Righteous' Holy
              Warrior is coded up that way.

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 27, 2004
                > Um, I know it worked on SUBCLASSLEVEL lines. Book of the Righteous'
                Holy
                > Warrior is coded up that way.

                Hm, I went and tested that and it does work.

                There must be other errors in my write up keeping it from working. I
                do note that mine were not all at sublevel 1.

                BTW, I got two load errors when I loaded BoTR, one about a
                PRESPELLTYPE the other about a PRESPELLSCHOOL.
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 28, 2004
                  > > Um, I know it worked on SUBCLASSLEVEL lines. Book of the Righteous'
                  > Holy
                  > > Warrior is coded up that way.
                  > >

                  > Hm, I went and tested that and it does work.
                  >
                  > There must be other errors in my write up keeping it from working. I
                  > do note that mine were not all at sublevel 1.

                  Okay, I found the problem but have no idea whether this is a FReq or a
                  bug.

                  If you have a spell in the spell.lst which does not have the CLASSES
                  tag in the writeup, SPELLLEVEL:CLASS will not add a class to the
                  spell. If you have something (anything) in the CLASSES tag for a spell
                  it will work. I even tried using something that isn't a class
                  (CLASSES:Polecat=1 using rsrd only) and it worked.

                  My point here is that SPELLLEVEL:CLASS should work whether there is an
                  entry in the CLASSES: tag in the spell.lst file.

                  And I don't know is this is a freq or bug because I have no idea if
                  this was the way it was programmed or if it should have worked and
                  doesn't (and noone noticed).

                  I did not test but I wonder if SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN would have the same
                  problem with a spell with no DOMAIN tag?

                  Before anyone says that there shouldn't be a spell with no entry in
                  the CLASSES tag check out those spells in Book of the Righteous. None
                  of them do. If I wanted to create a custom lst file that put one of
                  those spells on a class's spell list using SPELLLEVEL:CLASS it would
                  not work.
                • Tir Gwaith
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 28, 2004
                    Bug. It was designed (as in the original spec, that I think went down with
                    my last hard drive) to be able (not that we were planning on doing it, but
                    the ability was planned as a means of complete flexibility) to completely
                    remove all CLASSES and DOMAINS tags with SPELLLEVEL tags.

                    It would also be problematic for a spell that had a DOMAINS tag and no
                    CLASSES tag, and a one wanted to use the SPELLLEVEL tag to create a spell
                    list for a new class. And vice versa if that is true also.

                    Tir Gwaith
                    LST Chimp

                    > Okay, I found the problem but have no idea whether this is a FReq or a
                    > bug.
                    >
                    > If you have a spell in the spell.lst which does not have the CLASSES
                    > tag in the writeup, SPELLLEVEL:CLASS will not add a class to the
                    > spell. If you have something (anything) in the CLASSES tag for a spell
                    > it will work. I even tried using something that isn't a class
                    > (CLASSES:Polecat=1 using rsrd only) and it worked.
                    >
                    > My point here is that SPELLLEVEL:CLASS should work whether there is an
                    > entry in the CLASSES: tag in the spell.lst file.
                    >
                    > And I don't know is this is a freq or bug because I have no idea if
                    > this was the way it was programmed or if it should have worked and
                    > doesn't (and noone noticed).
                    >
                    > I did not test but I wonder if SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN would have the same
                    > problem with a spell with no DOMAIN tag?
                    >
                    > Before anyone says that there shouldn't be a spell with no entry in
                    > the CLASSES tag check out those spells in Book of the Righteous. None
                    > of them do. If I wanted to create a custom lst file that put one of
                    > those spells on a class's spell list using SPELLLEVEL:CLASS it would
                    > not work.
                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 28, 2004
                      [ 1036650 ] SPELLLEVEL:CLASS global
                      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                      func=detail&aid=1036650&group_id=25576&atid=384719

                      Paul W. King
                      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
                    • taluroniscandar
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 29, 2004
                        I've found a second problem with SPELLLEVEL:CLASS, It will not work in
                        a spell.lst file with a PRESUBCLASS tag attached. At first glance this
                        may not seem important but it is.

                        I'm helping program the rsrd psionic files and currently the only way
                        to support the discipline powers is using SPELLLEVEL:CLASS. This tag
                        is currently placed on the SUBCLASSLEVEL line of the subclass
                        appropriate to the discipline in order to make the power available on
                        the spell tab.

                        This is all fine, well and good. Until you try to add a new discipline
                        specific power from a new source. To use this method you now have to
                        .MOD the SUBCLASSLEVEL line in the class.lst file. Which I'm not sure
                        how to do, much less if you even can.

                        If the SPELLLEVEL:CLASS tag could be placed in the spell.lst file on
                        the spell(power) line with a PRESUBCLASS tag it would be easier.

                        Even better would be to reprogram the CLASSES tag to support
                        subclasses but that's a different FReq.

                        I posted this same info to the tracker Paul put in but I'm not sure if
                        it should be a seperate one.