Armor & Shields

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2004
      One of the data issues we dealt with in the latest release is that the
      Weapon, Armor and Shield TYPEs do not work well when used in the same item.
      In order for all the EQMODs to price correctly and for the items to be
      equipped into the correct slot items of these TYPEs can have only one of the
      three. Many of the problems with shields were eliminated by taking out the
      Weapon and Armor TYPEs. The downside of this is that Shields now do not
      display the shields as weapons information (Shield bash) on the OS.

      As a work around we have created several 'virtual items' to accommodate
      this. Shieldbash (Light) and Shieldbash (Heavy) are two such objects, they
      cost nothing, have no weight and when equipped they go into the Unarmed slot
      (which will accept any number of unarmed objects and does not take up a
      weapon slot) and will display the correct weapon stats for shieldbashing.
      These virtual objects can be customized with spikes and other EQMODS so that
      you can make it match the actual shield you possess, just make sure to set
      the cost to 0 when you customize it.

      Armor Spikes are another case but we've taken it a bit farther. When you
      customize your armor with spikes the TYPE Weapon is not added to the armor,
      instead there is an AUTO:EQUIP tag which will add the Armor Spike object to
      your gear list automatically at no cost. Like the Shieldbash objects it is
      equipped to the unarmed slot and will display the Armor Spikes weapon stats
      on the OS.

      I'd like to get peoples opinions on this because we could easily do this
      with the Shieldbash objects as well. We could add the AUTO:EQUIP tags to the
      Shields themselves so Shieldbash only appears if you equip yourself with a
      shield or it could be added to the Shield Proficiency Feat in which case
      Shieldbash would be on your gear list if you have that feat. Either way you
      can always add the item from the gear list manually.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback