Re: [pcgen] Re: Reincarnation

  • Keith Davies
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
      On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 07:48:31PM +0000, Harry C. Johnson wrote:
      > Yep, there are definitely good and bad points. There are some other
      > things I lose, such as the halfling +1 to saves, +1 with thrown
      > weapons, racial skill bonuses, etc. but there are also perks such as
      > the strength bonus, grapples are much better, etc.
      >
      > Kind of a wash. Losing a level still sucks though. 8^)

      I think, from a combat perspective (which is what munchkins think about)
      you do better... if your game has a lot of out of combat play, you're
      better off as a halfling.

      And yeah, losing a level sucks.

      Keith
      keith.davies@... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
      keith.davies@... me: "What do you say?"
      Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
        Harry C. Johnson wrote:

        > Actually reincarnation only affects the physical attributes so the
        > int, wis and cha all stay the same. I do lose the racial bonus to dex
        > from being a halfling as well as the strength penalty. In addition I
        > gain the strength bonus for being an orc.

        I have been thinking about this too, since just last week two characters
        were reincarnated in my camapign. A gnome druid is now a lizardfolk, and
        a human barbarian/fighter became a half-orc. Just recreating the
        character doesn't really work (the ex-human keeps his bonus skills and
        feat) and the lizardfolk doesn't get the monster hit dice (that was my
        ruling after long deliberations - primarily i didn't want to force the
        player to pay for two monster levels and pass up on three level-ups).

        I think probably the best way to go in PCGen is to create templates,
        maybe one template "Reincarnated Humanoid" or some such name which gives
        a chooser with the possible races, and then another template for each of
        these that makes the relevant changes to the character.

        Regards,
        Stefan.
      • shawnvw2001
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 27, 2005
          I'm having a similar problem: My human wizard was reincarnated as a
          bugbear. I don't think that recreating him is as simple as your
          example.

          I have to keep the extra feat and skill points that a human gets, for
          one thing. I need to delete the "Goblin" racial language and the
          bugbear weapons profieciencies.

          BTW, I tried just changing the Race from Human to Bugbear, and it
          seems to lock up.

          Any thoughts, folks?

          Shawn Wilson

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
          <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
          > Thanks Bryan,
          >
          > I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
          > caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics,
          so
          > the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
          > halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
          > However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha
          that
          > an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
          > account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.
          >
          > Yep, we need a cleric in our party. Ah well, role-playing an orcling
          > monk should be entertaining, especially since the other members of
          the
          > party are all halflings.
          >
          > Losing a level sucks.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > -Harry
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...>
          wrote:
          > > My guess would be to simply re-create him, but I'm not sure if a
          > > re-incarnated Orc gets all the natural abilities of a natural
          Orc, or
          > > if you lose all your innate halfling abilities. I suspect you do
          - in
          > > which case you can try simply changing your Race in the Summary
          tab,
          > > or try re-creating the character as an Orc (just modify the HP so
          at
          > > all levels the natural roll is the same as it was in the original
          > > character). Condolences on your monk! Merton (and all the other
          PCs
          > > in my group) tend to die fairly frequently - though we have
          access to
          > > true res so it's not such a problem until the Cleric goes down. :)
          > >
          > > My dwarven fighter/thief Lucky has only died once and lost a level
          > > getting raised. I don't want to mess around with reincarnation
          unless
          > > I can't avoid it!
          > >
          > > -Bryan
          > >
          > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
          > > <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
          > > > Hi All,
          > > >
          > > > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
          > > > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had
          him
          > > > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
          > > >
          > > > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > -Harry
        • Brass Tilde
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 27, 2005
            > I have to keep the extra feat and skill points that a human
            > gets, for one thing. I need to delete the "Goblin" racial
            > language and the bugbear weapons profieciencies.

            Well, you don't *have* to keep the extra feat and skill points. :)

            > Any thoughts, folks?

            When my Human Bard died and was reincarnated as an elf, I just added another
            feat and the difference in skill points to the totals on the respective
            screens. It looks funny when you see a negative number in the skills, but
            it works out.

            That said, a piece of functionality that allowed one to apply a
            reincarnation template would be kind of neat. Actually accomplishing that
            might be a bit dicey, since the skill points, hit points, BAB and a couple
            of other things don't change, but the stats on which those things are based
            might very well have changed when the PC was reincarnated.
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
              In general, the only way I've ever gotten reincarnated characters to
              work is to create a custom race which includeds the characteristics
              from each race that the character keeps. Mental attributes from the
              original, physical from the reincarnated. Whatever racial specials
              from each the DM says to use (skill points and bonuses, etc).