Re: Reincarnation

  • Harry C. Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1 12:48 PM
      Yep, there are definitely good and bad points. There are some other
      things I lose, such as the halfling +1 to saves, +1 with thrown
      weapons, racial skill bonuses, etc. but there are also perks such as
      the strength bonus, grapples are much better, etc.

      Kind of a wash. Losing a level still sucks though. 8^)

      Thanks!
      -Harry
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...> wrote:
      > On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:01:21PM +0000, Harry C. Johnson wrote:
      > > Thanks Bryan,
      > >
      > > I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
      > > caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics, so
      > > the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
      > > halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
      > > However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha that
      > > an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
      > > account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.
      >
      > I was going to say, from a munchie point of view this is good (well...
      > you lose +1 to hit for size and a net +2 AC -- size increase and Dex
      > drop), but you get +3 attack bonus and +3 damage from strength, without
      > the loss of Int or Cha. Net benefit.
      >

      > Keith
      > --
      > Keith Davies I gave my 2yo daughter a strawberry
      > keith.davies@k... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
      > keith.davies@g... me: "What do you say?"
      > Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
    • Keith Davies
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1 2:49 PM
        On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 07:48:31PM +0000, Harry C. Johnson wrote:
        > Yep, there are definitely good and bad points. There are some other
        > things I lose, such as the halfling +1 to saves, +1 with thrown
        > weapons, racial skill bonuses, etc. but there are also perks such as
        > the strength bonus, grapples are much better, etc.
        >
        > Kind of a wash. Losing a level still sucks though. 8^)

        I think, from a combat perspective (which is what munchkins think about)
        you do better... if your game has a lot of out of combat play, you're
        better off as a halfling.

        And yeah, losing a level sucks.

        Keith
        keith.davies@... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
        keith.davies@... me: "What do you say?"
        Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1 3:00 PM
          Harry C. Johnson wrote:

          > Actually reincarnation only affects the physical attributes so the
          > int, wis and cha all stay the same. I do lose the racial bonus to dex
          > from being a halfling as well as the strength penalty. In addition I
          > gain the strength bonus for being an orc.

          I have been thinking about this too, since just last week two characters
          were reincarnated in my camapign. A gnome druid is now a lizardfolk, and
          a human barbarian/fighter became a half-orc. Just recreating the
          character doesn't really work (the ex-human keeps his bonus skills and
          feat) and the lizardfolk doesn't get the monster hit dice (that was my
          ruling after long deliberations - primarily i didn't want to force the
          player to pay for two monster levels and pass up on three level-ups).

          I think probably the best way to go in PCGen is to create templates,
          maybe one template "Reincarnated Humanoid" or some such name which gives
          a chooser with the possible races, and then another template for each of
          these that makes the relevant changes to the character.

          Regards,
          Stefan.
        • shawnvw2001
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 27, 2005
            I'm having a similar problem: My human wizard was reincarnated as a
            bugbear. I don't think that recreating him is as simple as your
            example.

            I have to keep the extra feat and skill points that a human gets, for
            one thing. I need to delete the "Goblin" racial language and the
            bugbear weapons profieciencies.

            BTW, I tried just changing the Race from Human to Bugbear, and it
            seems to lock up.

            Any thoughts, folks?

            Shawn Wilson

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
            <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
            > Thanks Bryan,
            >
            > I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
            > caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics,
            so
            > the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
            > halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
            > However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha
            that
            > an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
            > account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.
            >
            > Yep, we need a cleric in our party. Ah well, role-playing an orcling
            > monk should be entertaining, especially since the other members of
            the
            > party are all halflings.
            >
            > Losing a level sucks.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > -Harry
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...>
            wrote:
            > > My guess would be to simply re-create him, but I'm not sure if a
            > > re-incarnated Orc gets all the natural abilities of a natural
            Orc, or
            > > if you lose all your innate halfling abilities. I suspect you do
            - in
            > > which case you can try simply changing your Race in the Summary
            tab,
            > > or try re-creating the character as an Orc (just modify the HP so
            at
            > > all levels the natural roll is the same as it was in the original
            > > character). Condolences on your monk! Merton (and all the other
            PCs
            > > in my group) tend to die fairly frequently - though we have
            access to
            > > true res so it's not such a problem until the Cleric goes down. :)
            > >
            > > My dwarven fighter/thief Lucky has only died once and lost a level
            > > getting raised. I don't want to mess around with reincarnation
            unless
            > > I can't avoid it!
            > >
            > > -Bryan
            > >
            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
            > > <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
            > > > Hi All,
            > > >
            > > > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
            > > > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had
            him
            > > > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
            > > >
            > > > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > -Harry
          • Brass Tilde
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 27, 2005
              > I have to keep the extra feat and skill points that a human
              > gets, for one thing. I need to delete the "Goblin" racial
              > language and the bugbear weapons profieciencies.

              Well, you don't *have* to keep the extra feat and skill points. :)

              > Any thoughts, folks?

              When my Human Bard died and was reincarnated as an elf, I just added another
              feat and the difference in skill points to the totals on the respective
              screens. It looks funny when you see a negative number in the skills, but
              it works out.

              That said, a piece of functionality that allowed one to apply a
              reincarnation template would be kind of neat. Actually accomplishing that
              might be a bit dicey, since the skill points, hit points, BAB and a couple
              of other things don't change, but the stats on which those things are based
              might very well have changed when the PC was reincarnated.
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
                In general, the only way I've ever gotten reincarnated characters to
                work is to create a custom race which includeds the characteristics
                from each race that the character keeps. Mental attributes from the
                original, physical from the reincarnated. Whatever racial specials
                from each the DM says to use (skill points and bonuses, etc).