Re: Reincarnation

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
      My guess would be to simply re-create him, but I'm not sure if a
      re-incarnated Orc gets all the natural abilities of a natural Orc, or
      if you lose all your innate halfling abilities. I suspect you do - in
      which case you can try simply changing your Race in the Summary tab,
      or try re-creating the character as an Orc (just modify the HP so at
      all levels the natural roll is the same as it was in the original
      character). Condolences on your monk! Merton (and all the other PCs
      in my group) tend to die fairly frequently - though we have access to
      true res so it's not such a problem until the Cleric goes down. :)

      My dwarven fighter/thief Lucky has only died once and lost a level
      getting raised. I don't want to mess around with reincarnation unless
      I can't avoid it!

      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
      <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
      > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
      > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
      >
      > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -Harry
    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
        > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
        > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
        > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
        >
        > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?

        Recreate the character from scratch.

        For 3.5, remember that you keep the same *base* scores from the halfling
        character, i.e. before the halfling bonuses/penalties. You also keep the
        same class, feats and skills as the previous character, so you end up with a
        character that looks just like your previous one, only a different race and
        one level lower.

        You may have to modify your skill points to get the right number, since your
        intelligence is likely to change.

        I don't remember now about hit points.
      • Ed Holley
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
          Simply tell the GM that this will not do! It would require to much work in
          GMGen! :-) A reincarnation template would be very cool. I don't remember
          how reincarnation works, but can you just change your race to orc?

          Ed Holley
          A+
          System Admin
          (I don't send Office Docs with macros
          unless they are noted in the body of
          the message)

          _____

          So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
          rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
          reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.

          What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?

          Thanks,
          -Harry

          PCGen's FAQ:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a3l686/M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094144587/A=2195326/R=2/SIG=12i37f20v/*http://clk.
          atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon00700677von/direct/01/&time=1094058187104763>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2195326/rand=611861785>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Harry C. Johnson
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
            Thanks Bryan,

            I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
            caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics, so
            the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
            halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
            However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha that
            an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
            account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.

            Yep, we need a cleric in our party. Ah well, role-playing an orcling
            monk should be entertaining, especially since the other members of the
            party are all halflings.

            Losing a level sucks.

            Thanks!
            -Harry

            > My guess would be to simply re-create him, but I'm not sure if a
            > re-incarnated Orc gets all the natural abilities of a natural Orc, or
            > if you lose all your innate halfling abilities. I suspect you do - in
            > which case you can try simply changing your Race in the Summary tab,
            > or try re-creating the character as an Orc (just modify the HP so at
            > all levels the natural roll is the same as it was in the original
            > character). Condolences on your monk! Merton (and all the other PCs
            > in my group) tend to die fairly frequently - though we have access to
            > true res so it's not such a problem until the Cleric goes down. :)
            >
            > My dwarven fighter/thief Lucky has only died once and lost a level
            > getting raised. I don't want to mess around with reincarnation unless
            > I can't avoid it!
            >
            > -Bryan
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
            > <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
            > > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
            > > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
            > >
            > > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > -Harry
          • Harry C. Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
              Oh, I forgot to mention this in my response to merton_monk, but when I
              try to change the race to Orc, it reset my class and the screen would
              not refresh properly etc....

              I am using version 5.6.0

              -Harry

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                Actually reincarnation only affects the physical attributes so the
                int, wis and cha all stay the same. I do lose the racial bonus to dex
                from being a halfling as well as the strength penalty. In addition I
                gain the strength bonus for being an orc.

                -Harry

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
                > > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
                > > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
                > > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
                > >
                > > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
                >
                > Recreate the character from scratch.
                >
                > For 3.5, remember that you keep the same *base* scores from the halfling
                > character, i.e. before the halfling bonuses/penalties. You also
                keep the
                > same class, feats and skills as the previous character, so you end
                up with a
                > character that looks just like your previous one, only a different
                race and
                > one level lower.
                >
                > You may have to modify your skill points to get the right number,
                since your
                > intelligence is likely to change.
                >
                > I don't remember now about hit points.
              • Keith Davies
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                  On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:01:21PM +0000, Harry C. Johnson wrote:
                  > Thanks Bryan,
                  >
                  > I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
                  > caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics, so
                  > the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
                  > halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
                  > However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha that
                  > an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
                  > account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.

                  I was going to say, from a munchie point of view this is good (well...
                  you lose +1 to hit for size and a net +2 AC -- size increase and Dex
                  drop), but you get +3 attack bonus and +3 damage from strength, without
                  the loss of Int or Cha. Net benefit.

                  Keith
                  keith.davies@... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
                  keith.davies@... me: "What do you say?"
                  Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
                • Harry C. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                    Yep, there are definitely good and bad points. There are some other
                    things I lose, such as the halfling +1 to saves, +1 with thrown
                    weapons, racial skill bonuses, etc. but there are also perks such as
                    the strength bonus, grapples are much better, etc.

                    Kind of a wash. Losing a level still sucks though. 8^)

                    Thanks!
                    -Harry
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...> wrote:
                    > On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:01:21PM +0000, Harry C. Johnson wrote:
                    > > Thanks Bryan,
                    > >
                    > > I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
                    > > caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics, so
                    > > the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
                    > > halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
                    > > However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha that
                    > > an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
                    > > account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.
                    >
                    > I was going to say, from a munchie point of view this is good (well...
                    > you lose +1 to hit for size and a net +2 AC -- size increase and Dex
                    > drop), but you get +3 attack bonus and +3 damage from strength, without
                    > the loss of Int or Cha. Net benefit.
                    >

                    > Keith
                    > --
                    > Keith Davies I gave my 2yo daughter a strawberry
                    > keith.davies@k... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
                    > keith.davies@g... me: "What do you say?"
                    > Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
                  • Keith Davies
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                      On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 07:48:31PM +0000, Harry C. Johnson wrote:
                      > Yep, there are definitely good and bad points. There are some other
                      > things I lose, such as the halfling +1 to saves, +1 with thrown
                      > weapons, racial skill bonuses, etc. but there are also perks such as
                      > the strength bonus, grapples are much better, etc.
                      >
                      > Kind of a wash. Losing a level still sucks though. 8^)

                      I think, from a combat perspective (which is what munchkins think about)
                      you do better... if your game has a lot of out of combat play, you're
                      better off as a halfling.

                      And yeah, losing a level sucks.

                      Keith
                      keith.davies@... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
                      keith.davies@... me: "What do you say?"
                      Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
                    • Stefan Radermacher
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                        Harry C. Johnson wrote:

                        > Actually reincarnation only affects the physical attributes so the
                        > int, wis and cha all stay the same. I do lose the racial bonus to dex
                        > from being a halfling as well as the strength penalty. In addition I
                        > gain the strength bonus for being an orc.

                        I have been thinking about this too, since just last week two characters
                        were reincarnated in my camapign. A gnome druid is now a lizardfolk, and
                        a human barbarian/fighter became a half-orc. Just recreating the
                        character doesn't really work (the ex-human keeps his bonus skills and
                        feat) and the lizardfolk doesn't get the monster hit dice (that was my
                        ruling after long deliberations - primarily i didn't want to force the
                        player to pay for two monster levels and pass up on three level-ups).

                        I think probably the best way to go in PCGen is to create templates,
                        maybe one template "Reincarnated Humanoid" or some such name which gives
                        a chooser with the possible races, and then another template for each of
                        these that makes the relevant changes to the character.

                        Regards,
                        Stefan.
                      • shawnvw2001
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 27 8:33 AM
                          I'm having a similar problem: My human wizard was reincarnated as a
                          bugbear. I don't think that recreating him is as simple as your
                          example.

                          I have to keep the extra feat and skill points that a human gets, for
                          one thing. I need to delete the "Goblin" racial language and the
                          bugbear weapons profieciencies.

                          BTW, I tried just changing the Race from Human to Bugbear, and it
                          seems to lock up.

                          Any thoughts, folks?

                          Shawn Wilson

                          <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
                          > Thanks Bryan,
                          >
                          > I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
                          > caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics,
                          so
                          > the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
                          > halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
                          > However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha
                          that
                          > an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
                          > account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.
                          >
                          > Yep, we need a cleric in our party. Ah well, role-playing an orcling
                          > monk should be entertaining, especially since the other members of
                          the
                          > party are all halflings.
                          >
                          > Losing a level sucks.
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          > -Harry
                          >
                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > > My guess would be to simply re-create him, but I'm not sure if a
                          > > re-incarnated Orc gets all the natural abilities of a natural
                          Orc, or
                          > > if you lose all your innate halfling abilities. I suspect you do
                          - in
                          > > which case you can try simply changing your Race in the Summary
                          tab,
                          > > or try re-creating the character as an Orc (just modify the HP so
                          at
                          > > all levels the natural roll is the same as it was in the original
                          > > character). Condolences on your monk! Merton (and all the other
                          PCs
                          > > in my group) tend to die fairly frequently - though we have
                          access to
                          > > true res so it's not such a problem until the Cleric goes down. :)
                          > >
                          > > My dwarven fighter/thief Lucky has only died once and lost a level
                          > > getting raised. I don't want to mess around with reincarnation
                          unless
                          > > I can't avoid it!
                          > >
                          > > -Bryan
                          > >
                          > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
                          > > <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
                          > > > Hi All,
                          > > >
                          > > > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
                          > > > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had
                          him
                          > > > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
                          > > >
                          > > > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks,
                          > > > -Harry
                        • Brass Tilde
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 27 8:53 AM
                            > I have to keep the extra feat and skill points that a human
                            > gets, for one thing. I need to delete the "Goblin" racial
                            > language and the bugbear weapons profieciencies.

                            Well, you don't *have* to keep the extra feat and skill points. :)

                            > Any thoughts, folks?

                            When my Human Bard died and was reincarnated as an elf, I just added another
                            feat and the difference in skill points to the totals on the respective
                            screens. It looks funny when you see a negative number in the skills, but
                            it works out.

                            That said, a piece of functionality that allowed one to apply a
                            reincarnation template would be kind of neat. Actually accomplishing that
                            might be a bit dicey, since the skill points, hit points, BAB and a couple
                            of other things don't change, but the stats on which those things are based
                            might very well have changed when the PC was reincarnated.
                          • taluroniscandar
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 28 5:09 AM
                              In general, the only way I've ever gotten reincarnated characters to
                              work is to create a custom race which includeds the characteristics
                              from each race that the character keeps. Mental attributes from the
                              original, physical from the reincarnated. Whatever racial specials
                              from each the DM says to use (skill points and bonuses, etc).