Reincarnation

  • Harry C. Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi All,

      So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
      rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
      reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.

      What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?

      Thanks,
      -Harry
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
        My guess would be to simply re-create him, but I'm not sure if a
        re-incarnated Orc gets all the natural abilities of a natural Orc, or
        if you lose all your innate halfling abilities. I suspect you do - in
        which case you can try simply changing your Race in the Summary tab,
        or try re-creating the character as an Orc (just modify the HP so at
        all levels the natural roll is the same as it was in the original
        character). Condolences on your monk! Merton (and all the other PCs
        in my group) tend to die fairly frequently - though we have access to
        true res so it's not such a problem until the Cleric goes down. :)

        My dwarven fighter/thief Lucky has only died once and lost a level
        getting raised. I don't want to mess around with reincarnation unless
        I can't avoid it!

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
        <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
        > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
        > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
        >
        > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -Harry
      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
          > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
          > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
          > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
          >
          > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?

          Recreate the character from scratch.

          For 3.5, remember that you keep the same *base* scores from the halfling
          character, i.e. before the halfling bonuses/penalties. You also keep the
          same class, feats and skills as the previous character, so you end up with a
          character that looks just like your previous one, only a different race and
          one level lower.

          You may have to modify your skill points to get the right number, since your
          intelligence is likely to change.

          I don't remember now about hit points.
        • Ed Holley
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
            Simply tell the GM that this will not do! It would require to much work in
            GMGen! :-) A reincarnation template would be very cool. I don't remember
            how reincarnation works, but can you just change your race to orc?

            Ed Holley
            A+
            System Admin
            (I don't send Office Docs with macros
            unless they are noted in the body of
            the message)

            _____

            So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
            rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
            reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.

            What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?

            Thanks,
            -Harry

            PCGen's FAQ:

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a3l686/M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094144587/A=2195326/R=2/SIG=12i37f20v/*http://clk.
            atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon00700677von/direct/01/&time=1094058187104763>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2195326/rand=611861785>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Harry C. Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
              Thanks Bryan,

              I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
              caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics, so
              the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
              halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
              However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha that
              an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
              account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.

              Yep, we need a cleric in our party. Ah well, role-playing an orcling
              monk should be entertaining, especially since the other members of the
              party are all halflings.

              Losing a level sucks.

              Thanks!
              -Harry

              > My guess would be to simply re-create him, but I'm not sure if a
              > re-incarnated Orc gets all the natural abilities of a natural Orc, or
              > if you lose all your innate halfling abilities. I suspect you do - in
              > which case you can try simply changing your Race in the Summary tab,
              > or try re-creating the character as an Orc (just modify the HP so at
              > all levels the natural roll is the same as it was in the original
              > character). Condolences on your monk! Merton (and all the other PCs
              > in my group) tend to die fairly frequently - though we have access to
              > true res so it's not such a problem until the Cleric goes down. :)
              >
              > My dwarven fighter/thief Lucky has only died once and lost a level
              > getting raised. I don't want to mess around with reincarnation unless
              > I can't avoid it!
              >
              > -Bryan
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
              > <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
              > > Hi All,
              > >
              > > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
              > > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
              > > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
              > >
              > > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > -Harry
            • Harry C. Johnson
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                Oh, I forgot to mention this in my response to merton_monk, but when I
                try to change the race to Orc, it reset my class and the screen would
                not refresh properly etc....

                I am using version 5.6.0

                -Harry

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Actually reincarnation only affects the physical attributes so the
                  int, wis and cha all stay the same. I do lose the racial bonus to dex
                  from being a halfling as well as the strength penalty. In addition I
                  gain the strength bonus for being an orc.

                  -Harry

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...> wrote:
                  > > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
                  > > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had him
                  > > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
                  > >
                  > > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
                  >
                  > Recreate the character from scratch.
                  >
                  > For 3.5, remember that you keep the same *base* scores from the halfling
                  > character, i.e. before the halfling bonuses/penalties. You also
                  keep the
                  > same class, feats and skills as the previous character, so you end
                  up with a
                  > character that looks just like your previous one, only a different
                  race and
                  > one level lower.
                  >
                  > You may have to modify your skill points to get the right number,
                  since your
                  > intelligence is likely to change.
                  >
                  > I don't remember now about hit points.
                • Keith Davies
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                    On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:01:21PM +0000, Harry C. Johnson wrote:
                    > Thanks Bryan,
                    >
                    > I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
                    > caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics, so
                    > the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
                    > halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
                    > However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha that
                    > an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
                    > account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.

                    I was going to say, from a munchie point of view this is good (well...
                    you lose +1 to hit for size and a net +2 AC -- size increase and Dex
                    drop), but you get +3 attack bonus and +3 damage from strength, without
                    the loss of Int or Cha. Net benefit.

                    Keith
                    keith.davies@... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
                    keith.davies@... me: "What do you say?"
                    Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
                  • Harry C. Johnson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                      Yep, there are definitely good and bad points. There are some other
                      things I lose, such as the halfling +1 to saves, +1 with thrown
                      weapons, racial skill bonuses, etc. but there are also perks such as
                      the strength bonus, grapples are much better, etc.

                      Kind of a wash. Losing a level still sucks though. 8^)

                      Thanks!
                      -Harry
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...> wrote:
                      > On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:01:21PM +0000, Harry C. Johnson wrote:
                      > > Thanks Bryan,
                      > >
                      > > I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
                      > > caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics, so
                      > > the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
                      > > halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
                      > > However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha that
                      > > an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
                      > > account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.
                      >
                      > I was going to say, from a munchie point of view this is good (well...
                      > you lose +1 to hit for size and a net +2 AC -- size increase and Dex
                      > drop), but you get +3 attack bonus and +3 damage from strength, without
                      > the loss of Int or Cha. Net benefit.
                      >

                      > Keith
                      > --
                      > Keith Davies I gave my 2yo daughter a strawberry
                      > keith.davies@k... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
                      > keith.davies@g... me: "What do you say?"
                      > Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
                    • Keith Davies
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                        On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 07:48:31PM +0000, Harry C. Johnson wrote:
                        > Yep, there are definitely good and bad points. There are some other
                        > things I lose, such as the halfling +1 to saves, +1 with thrown
                        > weapons, racial skill bonuses, etc. but there are also perks such as
                        > the strength bonus, grapples are much better, etc.
                        >
                        > Kind of a wash. Losing a level still sucks though. 8^)

                        I think, from a combat perspective (which is what munchkins think about)
                        you do better... if your game has a lot of out of combat play, you're
                        better off as a halfling.

                        And yeah, losing a level sucks.

                        Keith
                        keith.davies@... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
                        keith.davies@... me: "What do you say?"
                        Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
                      • Stefan Radermacher
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                          Harry C. Johnson wrote:

                          > Actually reincarnation only affects the physical attributes so the
                          > int, wis and cha all stay the same. I do lose the racial bonus to dex
                          > from being a halfling as well as the strength penalty. In addition I
                          > gain the strength bonus for being an orc.

                          I have been thinking about this too, since just last week two characters
                          were reincarnated in my camapign. A gnome druid is now a lizardfolk, and
                          a human barbarian/fighter became a half-orc. Just recreating the
                          character doesn't really work (the ex-human keeps his bonus skills and
                          feat) and the lizardfolk doesn't get the monster hit dice (that was my
                          ruling after long deliberations - primarily i didn't want to force the
                          player to pay for two monster levels and pass up on three level-ups).

                          I think probably the best way to go in PCGen is to create templates,
                          maybe one template "Reincarnated Humanoid" or some such name which gives
                          a chooser with the possible races, and then another template for each of
                          these that makes the relevant changes to the character.

                          Regards,
                          Stefan.
                        • shawnvw2001
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 27, 2005
                            I'm having a similar problem: My human wizard was reincarnated as a
                            bugbear. I don't think that recreating him is as simple as your
                            example.

                            I have to keep the extra feat and skill points that a human gets, for
                            one thing. I need to delete the "Goblin" racial language and the
                            bugbear weapons profieciencies.

                            BTW, I tried just changing the Race from Human to Bugbear, and it
                            seems to lock up.

                            Any thoughts, folks?

                            Shawn Wilson

                            <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
                            > Thanks Bryan,
                            >
                            > I have considered just recreating him from scratch. The only real
                            > caveat is that reincarnation only changes physical characteristics,
                            so
                            > the racial bonus to strength becomes +4 instead of a -2 for being a
                            > halfling (for a net of +6) and he loses the halfling dex bonus.
                            > However, he does not suffer the normal -2 to wisdom, int, and cha
                            that
                            > an orc would. I can fudge this by pumping up the base abilities to
                            > account for this. Also my racial language is still halfling.
                            >
                            > Yep, we need a cleric in our party. Ah well, role-playing an orcling
                            > monk should be entertaining, especially since the other members of
                            the
                            > party are all halflings.
                            >
                            > Losing a level sucks.
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            > -Harry
                            >
                            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > > My guess would be to simply re-create him, but I'm not sure if a
                            > > re-incarnated Orc gets all the natural abilities of a natural
                            Orc, or
                            > > if you lose all your innate halfling abilities. I suspect you do
                            - in
                            > > which case you can try simply changing your Race in the Summary
                            tab,
                            > > or try re-creating the character as an Orc (just modify the HP so
                            at
                            > > all levels the natural roll is the same as it was in the original
                            > > character). Condolences on your monk! Merton (and all the other
                            PCs
                            > > in my group) tend to die fairly frequently - though we have
                            access to
                            > > true res so it's not such a problem until the Cleric goes down. :)
                            > >
                            > > My dwarven fighter/thief Lucky has only died once and lost a level
                            > > getting raised. I don't want to mess around with reincarnation
                            unless
                            > > I can't avoid it!
                            > >
                            > > -Bryan
                            > >
                            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Harry C. Johnson"
                            > > <harry_c_johnson@y...> wrote:
                            > > > Hi All,
                            > > >
                            > > > So my 9th level halfling monk died last night. *sniff* So his
                            > > > rogueling buddy took him to the local druid they know and had
                            him
                            > > > reincarnated. Unfortunately, he came back as an Orc.
                            > > >
                            > > > What's the proper way to handle this in PCGen?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks,
                            > > > -Harry
                          • Brass Tilde
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 27, 2005
                              > I have to keep the extra feat and skill points that a human
                              > gets, for one thing. I need to delete the "Goblin" racial
                              > language and the bugbear weapons profieciencies.

                              Well, you don't *have* to keep the extra feat and skill points. :)

                              > Any thoughts, folks?

                              When my Human Bard died and was reincarnated as an elf, I just added another
                              feat and the difference in skill points to the totals on the respective
                              screens. It looks funny when you see a negative number in the skills, but
                              it works out.

                              That said, a piece of functionality that allowed one to apply a
                              reincarnation template would be kind of neat. Actually accomplishing that
                              might be a bit dicey, since the skill points, hit points, BAB and a couple
                              of other things don't change, but the stats on which those things are based
                              might very well have changed when the PC was reincarnated.
                            • taluroniscandar
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
                                In general, the only way I've ever gotten reincarnated characters to
                                work is to create a custom race which includeds the characteristics
                                from each race that the character keeps. Mental attributes from the
                                original, physical from the reincarnated. Whatever racial specials
                                from each the DM says to use (skill points and bonuses, etc).