Re: [pcgen] [BUG!!!!]Hit points for non-humanoids (maybe others) totally FUBARed

  • Kevin Brown
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 31, 2004
      >>I know I for one had a hard
      >>time not being offended by the characterization of my last year of work
      >>(GMGen) as a waste of time.

      > I apologize. I didn't mean to imply it was a waste of time. It is not
      > something *I* need, but you know your customer base better than I do. If
      > most users are clamoring for it, then, you would be right to ignore me.

      GMGen used to be a wholly seperate application with its own project page on
      SF.net. It was incorporated into PCGen and hasn't really taken anything away in
      terms of developer time as it just added the GMGen devs into the PCGen group.

      > I'm glad I was able to help pin the bug down to default monsters. Knowing
      > this helps, as I can ignore all 1 hit dice humanoids and just correct the
      > others; this SERIOUSLY reduces the error checking I have to do.

      Yep, just turn off default monsters if you are going to be making custom ones.
      This has been around for a while IIRC and default monsters was there just for
      outputting the monsters as they stood in the MMs.

      > As a programmer, let me note something like default monsters -- which
      > creates a seperate 'mode' for character creation -- smells like a debugging
      > nightmare, as it means almost everything needs to be checked twice. It's
      > obvious from the early responses that most of the dev team leaves it off by
      > default. I can very much attest, from 15 years of personal experience, the
      > problem with 'programmer testing'. You use a system with a specific set of
      > options, preferences, and so on, and everything works fine. Bugs in other
      > modes can linger for months or *years* because no programmer on the dev
      > team ever uses a specific option.
      >
      > Testing -- REAL testing, mind-numbing precise, ritualistic, testing --
      > isn't fun. And if it's not fun, no one will do it for free. This is a major
      > weakness of open source - it requires users to report bugs, because the
      > developers are not going to find any but the most egregious. No one who is
      > a skilled programmer is going to be satisfied or happy doing the tedious
      > job of QAing, and those people who are skilled QAers will do it for money
      > only, 'cause it ain't fun. (Of course, there are exceptions, but that's the
      > general rule.)

      I think this is the task of the QA monkeys. I recall seeing some posts about
      code not being accepted into CVS if it didn't pass certain tests (one of which
      was the program had to compile, heheh).

      > If I get a chance, I will try to write up a formal list of suggestions and
      > issues brought about by using PCGen for 8 hours a day for a month solid.
    • merton_monk
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 5, 2004
        There has been an awful lot of activity lately on both the data and
        code teams (including a fix for this and many other items!).
        Hopefully we'll have a release date soon for 5.7.5 (which would still
        be an alpha). I imagine it will be sometime this week (maybe next
        weekend).

        -Bryan