[BUG!!!!]Hit points for non-humanoids (maybe others) totally FUBARed

  • Lizard
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 31, 2004
      Using 5.6.1, RSRD, Win XP home.

      I've posted about this particualr bug before and never got so much as a "F*
      you, n00b!", in return. But this is bordering on intolerable. I trusted
      PCGen for use in a commercial product, and I have spent the past three days
      (and will likely spend two more) doing nothing but hand-correcting the
      problems in the output, from the infamous 'ride' modifier to wolf
      companions growing to a dozen other things. I appreciate that the product
      is free. However, if it is not suitable for professional work, please
      consider adding:"Warning: Do not use for commercial products!" to the
      startup screen.

      And now we get to the main topic of this post, hit points for giants, and,
      quite possible, other things - I haven't checked everything, but I only
      recently became aware of how widespread the problem is.

      Look at the following:
      Frost giant Sorcerer-7 :Male Frost Giant Sorcerer7: CR 16; Large GIANT; HD
      (14d8)+(7d4)+245; hp 227;
      and

      Male Cloud Giant Sorcerer5: CR 16; Huge GIANT; HD (17d8)+(5d4)+273; hp 242

      and

      Male Frost Giant Cleric5: CR 14; Large GIANT; HD (14d8)+(5d8)+231; hp 218

      And a whole bunch more. The "hp XXX" is correct; the problem is the "xdn+n"
      part of the equation. I have no idea where that number is being pulled
      from, and I welcome a clue. As it is, I now have to hand check *every
      single one* of *roughly 600 stat blocks* to make sure that number is right,
      and correct it manually if it is not.

      So you'll forgive me if I'm a little snippy. When a program is on version
      5.6+, I expect bugs like "Half-drow ranger/wizards dual wielding orc
      battleaxes while wearing +3 plate armor have the wrong eye color", not
      "Cannot figure out hit points properly. Sorry."

      If I may make a request, it seems that scarce coding resources should not
      be going to things like GMGen until the core product is a lot more stable
      and usable. I know, it's open source, and anyone can do anything they want
      with it, but to the extent there is central control over allocation of
      resources, a focus on basic functionality seems wise.
    • merton_monk
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 5, 2004
        There has been an awful lot of activity lately on both the data and
        code teams (including a fix for this and many other items!).
        Hopefully we'll have a release date soon for 5.7.5 (which would still
        be an alpha). I imagine it will be sometime this week (maybe next
        weekend).

        -Bryan