[BUG]More on riding dog...

  • Lizard
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      This happened when I opened a high-level character whose mount had not been
      updated. When I deleted and recreated the mount from scratch, it worked as
      expected.

      I have been using PCGen to create versions of characters at multiple
      levels, and the way in which it handles animal companions, special mounts,
      etc, is not the best it could be. I almost always have to recreate the
      mount/companion from scratch when I update the character, or it is
      improperly calculated. This might be something to look at reworking in
      future versions.
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
        Could you provide some more details on this so a tracker can be
        created on it? Thanks.

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
      • tir_gwaith
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
          Having been trying to get a riding dog to work for my Dawnforge
          Shaman Gnome's Animal Companion, I know where you are coming from.

          What is happening is that whenever the character is loaded as the
          animal companion, all the Companionmods are re-applied, not
          recognizing that they have already been incorporated with the
          character. The information *should* get recalculated, which means
          the information on how many levels of companionmods have been applied
          needs to be stored with the companion character, which doesn't seem
          to be happening...

          For workaround, what I have been doing is making the companion
          character, and saving it before linking it as a companion to my PC.
          Once I have two copies of the PCG, I open one as the companion from
          the PC and save the new PCG and export. Before updating the PC
          again, I copy over the PCG of the companion that was used before from
          the clean (non-Animal Companion linked) PCG. All the numbers appear
          to work out there.

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Lizard <lizard@m...> wrote:
          > This happened when I opened a high-level character whose mount had
          not been
          > updated. When I deleted and recreated the mount from scratch, it
          worked as
          > expected.
          >
          > I have been using PCGen to create versions of characters at
          multiple
          > levels, and the way in which it handles animal companions, special
          mounts,
          > etc, is not the best it could be. I almost always have to recreate
          the
          > mount/companion from scratch when I update the character, or it is
          > improperly calculated. This might be something to look at reworking
          in
          > future versions.
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2004