Re: [pcgen] Re: [DOCS] JEP formulas

  • Michael Tucker
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1 4:47 PM
      [Frugal wrote:]
      >> It would be fairly trivial to add if-then-else constructs to JEP. ...
      >>
      >> example:
      >> if( CL>=4, CL-1, CL)

      [Eric Beaudoin replied:]
      > If we need a if-then-else operator, I think we shoul use the very
      > commun <logical-expression>?<expression-if-true>:<expression-if-false>
      >
      > Your example would be:
      >
      > CL<=4?CL-1:CL
      >
      > Other examples:
      >
      > max(x,y) = x>y?x:y
      >
      > # result is assiged the value of parameter if parameter is
      > # not equal to -1, otherwise, result is assign the 0 value.
      > result = parameter <> -1 ? parameter : 0
      >
      > √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)

      Be very careful: you are proposing a custom syntax which must be
      somehow handled in a pre-parser, unless I've misunderstood how JEP
      works. As I've mentioned, that path is a slippery slope.

      True, the syntax you propose is somewhat common (among specific
      programming languages). But it will have to be parsed, rather than
      handled as a JEP function call. Or else JEP must somehow be customized
      to handle this alien (to it) syntax.

      This sets the stage for adding more "gee this would be neat" features
      to a pre-parser. The next thing you know, your pre-parser is bigger
      than the function it feeds, and you've lost all the benefits of
      switching to a standards-based expression handler in the first place.
      It also creates an ongoing code-maintenance hassle every time JEP is
      updated.

      Also (before Tir beats me to the punch): the stuff we want to put in
      LST files is mostly descriptions of objects (equipment, characters,
      classes, spells, etc.). LST is mostly an object description language.
      Sometimes it's handy to embed a formula in one of those descriptions.
      Just be careful not to "blow up" the scope of the LST file handler by
      wanting it to be a programming language (e.g. logic statements such as
      if-then-else blocks, for() and while() loops, etc.). Here, there be
      monsters.

      Michael
    • Guillermo Llosa
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 7 7:22 AM
        Mark Coletti wrote:

        > > > Deleted!
        > > > That is so not cool.
        > >
        > > The changes should be able to be rolled back thanks to it being a
        > wiki page, heheh.
        >
        > QuantumGIS had the same problem recently. In fact, I wonder if it was
        > the same asshat. Was the offender posting links hosted by a--e.com,
        > which is Russian?
        >
        > QuantumGIS locked down its WIki. It's a PITA, but was necessary.
        > Apparently this had occured regularly.
        >

        > MAC
        > --
        > I'm taking reality in small doses to build immunity.

        > PCGen's FAQ:
        >

        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > click here
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129aj5q7s/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1089240609/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

        If I remember correctly (no guarantee) but a--e.com was exactly right.