Re: [pcgen] Re: Linux

  • Anestis Kozakis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
      At 12:05 -0700 2004/07/01, Ross M. Lodge wrote:
      >Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:
      >
      >> I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
      >> its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.
      >
      > Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
      >directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
      >paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
      >Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
      >paths, and vice-versa.

      linux has the ability to mount windows partitions and read them.

      So there should be no problem mounting the windows partition. It
      just means the path will be different (something like:
      /win/Documents\ and\ Settings/Ross/PCGen\ Options/options.ini

      Of course, mounting a Linux partition under windows is an entirely
      different beast requiring lots of stuffing around, so not really
      worth doing it that way.

      As long as Linux knows where the options.ini file is, you should have
      no problems.

      >Ross

      Anestis.
      --
      Zeta: Yes it's chocolate. Chocolate hasn't changed.
      Ro: I know.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
        mtucker sez...

        'That's why the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun
        Solaris, and a variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term)'

        I contend that Java does not work well on *any* system, especially Mac. I
        also find the idea of having to upgrade your OS (when you've already got a
        version of OS10) to use PCGen very funny. I'll be sticking with Win98 and still
        getting Java updates for at least another 6 months.

        NotMousse
        TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

        what's the point?

      • Kevin Brown
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
          > 'That's why the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun
          > Solaris, and a variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term)'
          >
          > I contend that Java does not work well on *any* system, especially Mac. I
          > also find the idea of having to upgrade your OS (when you've already got a
          > version of OS10) to use PCGen very funny. I'll be sticking with Win98 and still
          > getting Java updates for at least another 6 months.

          That has less to do with Java and more to do with the decision of Apple to not
          include updates of this nature into their older releases.